Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i not support WPA2 and 802.1X ?

123  Next
Author P1i not support WPA2 and 802.1X ?
zhaocs
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-23 17:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I found my P1i doesn't support the WPA2 and 802.1x, so i cannot connect my company wifi, but it is work for WAP2 in white paper for p1i!

exp:

For connection to a private network in the office or at home, Sony Ericsson P1 supports the following encryption/authentication methods:
•WEP
•Shared WEP
•Dynamic WEP
•WPA Personal and WPA2 Personal

As regards the ‘WPA Enterprise and WPA2 Enterprise’ authentication methods, the following network authentication support apply:
•EAP-TTLS
•PEAP with EAP-MS-CHAPv2
•PEAP with EAP-GTC
•EAP-TLS
•EAP-SIM
•EAP-AKA

What a pity!!!
I will buy the E61i If i known that the P1i doesn't support 802.1x.

It is good for P1i support the 802.1x and WPA2 by update the software~~
samjuan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-02-23 17:53
I have a Juniper 5GT wireless at home and it is configured with WPA2 with AES and it works fine, you cannot setup the SSID manually as I didn't find the WPA2 option, but you should "find SSID" and put the SSID name you want to add, then it will ask you for the shared key, after that you can connect and work normally.
zhaocs
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-23 18:41
Do you mean that i must scan SSID inst of manual SSID, then the WPA2 will OK for working?

The router of my company is cisco equipment, the wifi is encrypted, so must manual SSID!

And 802.1X also support by p1i?
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-23 19:14
..no, wpa2 is wpa with a different encryption scheme. 802.1x and so on is a specification that includes receiving encryption keys from a secondary server. The p1 supports all that jazz - but if you want to set it up manually, you would need to choose something like wpa enterprise - tkip - then specify radius- server, login, etc.
samjuan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-02-24 12:28
you go to your WLAN settings, click on more and from there choose "find SSID" enter the SSID name of your company's and let the phone do the rest for you, you only have to enter the preshared key after that! this is how I do it atleast... let me know if it works for you as well... cheers
bachelor20
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-24 12:52
really too bad

This message was posted from a LENOVO-i921
dogac
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-24 18:18
Update your firmware. Out of the box I couldn't connect to my network at home but after updating, I've been happily using WPA2.
zhaocs
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-25 03:56
Thanks everyone for your help!

I have known the WPA and WPA2, but i cannot set 802.1X!

This is setup but i didn't found where input the 802.1X:

SSID --> WPA Enter --> infrastructure --> TDIP --> PEAP --> EAP-MS-CHAPv2 --> USER AND PASSWORD

No login the 802.1X!!!

Nipsen,

The p1 supports all that jazz??

Thanks
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-25 13:12
..Let's try again. I don't have that many positive things to say about the software- engineers at SE - but that doesn't change the fact that 802.1x is a general specification for a type of authentication abstracting away the port- connection to a server, which then provides an authentication service to the client, through a secondary server or some form of scheme not necessarily visible to the client.

So - any computer supporting authentication services abstracted away from the local server- client communication, supports "802.1x". And to do that, you would need to have support for:
1. The wireless encryption method.
2. The logon- scheme for the external authentication service.

And it would be about like this in practice - you connect to the access point in some way. The server then probably only allows traffic through for example EAP with some tunneling encryption (which is more or less the standard for 802.11i, which 802.1x is supposed to be included in...even if 802.1x isn't a formal standard, as far as I know). So you would need to specify:
1. The wireless encryption scheme (aes, tkip, wpa, etc.)
2. The logon- method to the external service (eap-tls, etc.), and the logon name, password and possibly a domain.

After that, if the service authenticates you, it'll clear you on the server, and allow information to pass through on other ports than the authentication server.

If it doesn't work - check the authentication scheme, whether it's using some form of certificate you don't have on the phone, or a standard not on SE's list, etc, and so on.
maciekish
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-25 13:16
I can just confirm that WPA2-personal works on my P1i. I just scan for the network and choose to connect it then enter the key. Simple as that.
zhaocs
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-25 15:37
Thanks Nipsen and everyone.

I will try again!

I will back here whether it is ok for working or not.

^_^~
Ketchup
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-25 16:45
more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.1x
vbnmu
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-03-04 23:38
I know this is a recurring issue and I have certainly gone through most of the threads regarding that but I have to ask; Does the P1i accept WPA-AES(PSK)?

I have tried on numerous times to connect on this but it all fails.
It does connect on WEP, WPA-TKIP or no security at all!

Whats with WPA2 that I keep reading about? I have the impression its the same as WPA-AES(PSK), yet mine would not connect using that security, even if power save is disabled!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am reluctant to compromise on my network security in order to accomodate my P1i.
m600
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-25 17:54
Nipsen, I would appreciate your help on this. My university wireless network has the following security:

WPA Enterprise
Data Encryption: TKIP
Infrastructure
EAP type: PEAP
Authentication Method: EAP-MACHAP v2
Also a validation of server certificate I think Equifax Aruba networks also I think 802.1x authentication is needed, after looking at the links I have provided below.

Here is a link to the university's instructions on the wlan setup:
for windows xp: http://www.infoservices.neu.e[....]ces/helpdocuments/nuwavexp.pdf

for max osx: http://www.infoservices.neu.e[....]es/helpdocuments/nuwaveosx.pdf

When I try to connect it just says connecting for a long time, then connection failed. I look at the incoming and outgoing data and both are 0KB. Does P1i support this encryption 802.1x? How do I get the p1 to accept the equifax certificate. I looked under security of p1 and see that equifax is there, but does aruba network certificate under equifax need to be there also. Your help is greatly appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: m600 on 2008-03-25 16:59 ]
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-25 19:06
I've no idea. Best guess - try mailing your support- dudes, and get them to issue you a certificate (and a specific list of settings to use) . Btw, if you're supposed to use a domain, I think you can do that by writing username@domain, in the username field.

If it is that - that the wlan- thing can't seem to be fed custom certificates for already existing ones - you've found another thing for the SE engineers to look at (mwhahahah).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi