Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > New Sony Ericsson G Series

Previous  123 ... 404142  Next
Author New Sony Ericsson G Series
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-19 19:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
And why would you? No one is buying a new phone just to get a new graphical overlay and a few extra buttons, anyway... oh, wait...
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 19:24
Perhaps SE are no longer capable of competing with Nokia at the top level any more? Thus they are bringing out less handsets with new features and more mid range phones with old buggy features?
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 20:50
Have you been smoking? Give up what? And for the record, p1 camera was fixed, no green tint on my camera more...

Nipsen, i said it before, i appreciate your effort to end all bugs on uiq3 (s60 v3 needs someone like you, because they also exist, still, despite all the differences), but i hardly see how g series phones success will be affected for the issues you point...fact is, its firmware is already stable months before release

helloweeny
Z710 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 20:55
Not sure if this has already been posted but opening price and release date on play.com of the g900:

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/M[....]cked-Mobile-Phone/Product.html

Considering this is the opening price and play.com are well known for reducing the price of their phones after 1-2 months (like the w960) it bodes well for SE. I can see this phone being a mass hit mainly due its touchscreen, size and functionality features.
Also I hear the n78 being quoted as a possible rival, however I feel the n78 doesn't differ enough from the n73, and the g900s touch screen, and greater megapixel count will make it a more attractive proposition. A more likely rival is the frankly excellent Nokia N82 and you can expect Nokia to try to put pressure on SE's new line up by reducing the price accordingly.
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 21:27
Wow 299???? What a rip off. You can get an N82 or N95 sim free for that much now.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 21:33
ooohh woppedoo, an N95 that crashes and has a battery that lasts a day if your lucky or an N82 which has a lower quality camera, but I suppose the flash makes up for it, right? I like the N82 but I personally would NEVER compare it to the G900, not least for the fact it lacks a touch screen.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-19 21:35
Both good points, ares.

That SE won't fix clear problems with the the UI behaviour, and leaves it in much the same state as it was two years ago - that's something people should be aware of, though.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 21:47

On 2008-04-19 16:23:39, Nipsen wrote:

On 2008-04-19 03:14:03, apolloa wrote:

So it may run the same software underneath but IMO it's now perfected and works properly with proper finger friendly input. Looking at videos it also appears to run faster(...)

Wow. You're as bad as the nokia- boys. Seriously, you don't know a damn thing about what's under the plastic. But we do know it's the same power- consumption, the same components, as well as the same manufacturer for the camera - none of which is a sign of quality. And judging by the pictures - it's also suffering from the exact same problems as the p1. Judging from testimonies about the test- units, the device also has the exact same issues with the firmware as the p1 still has.

Which again only proves that they couldn't care less about the problems with the phones, and are only happy to blame the customers for not buying their devices when the sales drop. Same old, same old.

We fanboys.

Right, lets tell it as I see it.

1: All I know from what I've read is it uses the same hardware platform as the P1i, but others sudgest otherwise. I certainly won't take what you say as gospel. You have only refered to the camera.
2: The camera is the same as the unit in the C902, as that's targeted as a cybershot phone IMO that's pretty damn good for a cheap smart phone. Not to mention face detection and touch manual focus, oh wait Nokias have that too right????? And PLEASE enlighten me as to how you think you know who makes the camera in the phone?
3: One review shows good pics, one shows bad and I know for a FACT from experience on this website that it can have a lot to do with how the pictures takes, people on here can take blinding good shots, read a review and the phone produces crap shots. Go figure. And just for the record, the UIQ camera interface is an utter crap disaster, the G900 is the first UIQ SE phone to have a totally redesigned and brilliant finger friendly interface, so no matter how the pictures are, the interface alone makes it way better then any P1i.

So it's more stable, has a totally new interface, has a stable platform, is smaller, cheaper, has all the faults of the P1i fixed. Personally I don't really care what you think, I've had a P800, P990. P1i and I can see the G900 being better then all of them with many improvements. I'm not a bloody fanboy, I'm someone who has owned and used the actual phones and so can see where the improvements and changes have been made and how they will make it a much better device.

Why do people on here bitch and moan so much about SE on this forum, yet happily buy there products? Do you have a gun to your head? Seriously, I really don't get some of the comments.

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-04-19 20:48 ]
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 21:48

On 2008-04-19 21:33:57, apolloa wrote:
ooohh woppedoo, an N95 that crashes and has a battery that lasts a day if your lucky or an N82 which has a lower quality camera

I think you must the 1st person I have ever heard to say that.

And you can say what you will about the N95 or N82 but last time I checked Nokia were the market leaders right?

Yeah thats what I thought. The problem is SE keeo pumping out these mediocre phones with the same old OS and you all keep praising them for it. Nokia had VGA video how many years ago? And apart from the X1 which is WM, SE is still to actually use VGA video!

Just what does your argument come down to seriously?
helloweeny
Z710 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 22:21

On 2008-04-19 21:48:14, bavlondon2 wrote:

ooohh woppedoo, an N95 that crashes and has a battery that lasts a day if your lucky or an N82 which has a lower quality camera

And you can say what you will about the N95 or N82 but last time I checked Nokia were the market leaders right?

Yeah thats what I thought. The problem is SE keeo pumping out these mediocre phones with the same old OS and you all keep praising them for it. Nokia had VGA video how many years ago? And apart from the X1 which is WM, SE is still to actually use VGA video!

He's right about the N95. I got an N95 3 months after it was released and it was the most frustating experiences I've possibly ever had. The software was buggy, the WiFi wouldn't work and the phone DID only last 1 day on a full charge. Returned it within 3 weeks.
I don't own an N82 but my best friend does and its a terrific phone, however its failed to become a hit due to its questionable looks(its ugly) and for whatever reason its still retailing for over £300 in the shops even after being out for 5 months, which is far too much.
Plus despite you making an average of 2 posts a day, you clearly don't read anyone elses posts or else you would know that there was general disappointment at the k850 and some of the phones that followed. The G series and the other ranges coming are a step in the right direction which is why most SE users are happy at the new lineup.
Its good to see a Nokia fan like youself post on a thread of the g series phones as it shows your clearly intrigued.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-19 22:35

On 2008-04-19 21:47:21, apolloa wrote:

1: All I know from what I've read is it uses the same hardware platform as the P1i, but others sudgest otherwise. I certainly won't take what you say as gospel. You have only refered to the camera.

No, please don't. But the mainboard typically is the same, with some smaller changes on the layout, and so on. And it's unlikely they've changed it, since that would mean adapting the hardware- layer, and that's expensive.
2: The camera is the same as the unit in the C902, as that's targeted as a cybershot phone IMO that's pretty damn good for a cheap smart phone. Not to mention face detection and touch manual focus, oh wait Nokias have that too right????? And PLEASE enlighten me as to how you think you know who makes the camera in the phone?

No, the touch- UI on the camera is really nice. It's also faster and, I think, more easy to use than any s60 unit I've tried. But we can all see the same problems in some lighting conditions that plague the p1 and the w960. And again, I have to assume that this proves SE does not feel it is a problem.
3: One review shows good pics, one shows bad and I know for a FACT from experience on this website that it can have a lot to do with how the pictures takes, people on here can take blinding good shots, read a review and the phone produces crap shots. Go figure.

That's true as well. No doubt about that. And only a nokia- boy can manage to claim that a camera which takes the same picture with the same colours in any lighting condition is a very good camera.
And just for the record, the UIQ camera interface is an utter crap disaster, the G900 is the first UIQ SE phone to have a totally redesigned and brilliant finger friendly interface, so no matter how the pictures are, the interface alone makes it way better then any P1i.

True.

But the problem we have is that the small user interface issues with the phone are not addressed. SE rolls out some new selling point - a new overlay, a new way of using the camera to start and pause music, or to stop the alarms with your hand - a new camera- UI on the g- series.

The problem is still - as with the camera- UI - that the existing problems are not fixed or taken care of. A new focus- indicator won't change the bungled zoom- controls or the more or less useless menu- system, for example. So while what you're saying is completely true, it only demonstrates that SE believes there are no problems with the units.

I disagree.

So it's more stable, has a totally new interface, has a stable platform, is smaller, cheaper, has all the faults of the P1i fixed. Personally I don't really care what you think, I've had a P800, P990. P1i and I can see the G900 being better then all of them with many improvements. I'm not a bloody fanboy, I'm someone who has owned and used the actual phones and so can see where the improvements and changes have been made and how they will make it a much better device.

*sigh* the g- series apparently have the same lists reloading and slowing the phone down - the same scheduler for imap, the same file- browser, the same selections disappearing, will not have profiles, and most probably will also have the notification- dialogue problems that are so ridiculously difficult to predict. Then there's the connection manager, and the way it will typically make it seem like your connections won't work - which will require you to change them manually in order to get the programs to work.

I honestly can't call that "all the problems on the p1 has been fixed". Because on the UI behaviour, the firmware is unchanged.
Why do people on here bitch and moan so much about SE on this forum, yet happily buy there products? Do you have a gun to your head? Seriously, I really don't get some of the comments.

I'll tell you why. I'm a tech- junkie. I think gadgets are great. And when I bought the p1, I had basically checked everything from how Symbian works and to how UIQ was made - so I thought I knew what I had bought. I knew it had issues - and I knew the previous versions had certain problems - but I assumed anything about software would be smoothed out eventually.

That hasn't happened. We've had the typical - "will only change "bugs"" answer from SE support, to eventually no answers when problems turn up. Meanwhile - some of the issues have apparently been plucked at in small ways - the "icon bug", which I think is still there on the p990 and the m600, was fixed on the last firmware. There was also the hang on longer e-mails. Those two were fixed, and issued on new firmwares. Then there was the selections disappearing - some of it has been fixed. But it's not consistent, and the way it's done in the inbox is irritating at best (clearing the selections when you cancel a "dowload this message" box, but not when you download the message, and then go back. And why not just respond and fix these issues? Evidently there are someone spending time on fixing a few parts of the firmware - so why not do it properly?

And any of the other issues that go on program behaviour - even the ones that evidently break program functionality - like the connections- issue with java- applications when you add more than one connection to the default group - those are left alone, and migrated on to the next unit.

And if you're happy with that, that's fine - I can't say anything else than that I disagree, and I really think you should change your mind. Not because I want to convince you it's a bad phone, or that S60 or WM is better - far from it. But I still think that when SE will launch these units on the market - with the various and many "possibilities for improvement" on the core UI (that no one else than SE can fix) still there - then that should be known. That's all I'm saying.

The same goes for SE's failure to make certain apis available to developers as well - something that prevents UIQ from getting a working and fully supported profile- application, for example. Something that I think is embarassing for a smart- phone. Not just because automatically changing volume according to the calendar and so on is available for WM and S60 - but because that is the kind of function you would use the OS capabilities of the phone for - presumably one of the reasons you would buy a smartphone, after all. So deliberately neglecting that is a pretty ridiculous policy on the part of SE. But it's certainly descriptive of how they're running their shop.

bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-19 22:48

On 2008-04-19 22:21:11, helloweeny wrote:

On 2008-04-19 21:48:14, bavlondon2 wrote:

He's right about the N95. I got an N95 3 months after it was released and it was the most frustating experiences I've possibly ever had. The software was buggy, the WiFi wouldn't work and the phone DID only last 1 day on a full charge. Returned it within 3 weeks.
I don't own an N82 but my best friend does and its a terrific phone, however its failed to become a hit due to its questionable looks(its ugly) and for whatever reason its still retailing for over £300 in the shops even after being out for 5 months, which is far too much.
Plus despite you making an average of 2 posts a day, you clearly don't read anyone elses posts or else you would know that there was general disappointment at the k850 and some of the phones that followed. The G series and the other ranges coming are a step in the right direction which is why most SE users are happy at the new lineup.
Its good to see a Nokia fan like youself post on a thread of the g series phones as it shows your clearly intrigued.

I also had the N95 and had many problems but its still selling so much now becasue Nokia found a balance between usability and functionality. And the N82 is right to retail for over £300. S60 phones hold their price well, these arnt UIQ devices which depreciate after just a month or 2.

SE used to be top dog in imaging when they had the W800/K750 but it looks like the optics used these days are lousy. The thing is Nokia will be inputting the same 5mp cam module from the N95 in many mid range phones this year. Take the 6220 for example. S60, FP2, same great cam and xenon flash and it will start retailing at only £270 sim free. This is why SE needs to step up.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-19 23:18
..I'm not sure we want to put an equal sign between hardware lacks, and easily fixable software defects, though.

Basically, you're suggesting that bugs or lacks on s60 isn't a problem, because the camera is so good... Should we be saying SE software- bugs don't matter, because the battery is so great?

Doesn't make much sense.

ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-20 00:56
Bavlondon, n95 (you are comparing its price) has half the total ram, and about 1/3 of ram after boot of the g900 and g700 (like p1 and w960), so not really something to wish for if you truly want a real smartphone...

Nipsen, again, you are totally right in thinking the issues you point should have been ironed out by now, and SE should be told that (want to make a post on uiqblog about it?). I just want to point 1 - most have relative importance 2 - SE is doing some things right for UIQ, finally, despite having issues to adress, like those

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-04-20 00:02 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-20 01:00
my n95-2 crashes sometimes ( rarely, but happens ), when i use fring for intenet calls, browse the net ( all this via wlan ) manage some emails and also the google map is running... i like to let suffer my fone to the left, its a tool so it should serve me well.
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 404142  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic