Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Visitors browsing this topic: 2
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 313233 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 14:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
My first reaction on seeing this phone was positive. I didn't think SE had the heart to produce high spec phones anymore - perhaps token efforts, but this is more than that.
But, and its a biggy.... I would re-emphasize the point that has been made several times already: It REALLY IS IMPORTANT WHEN THIS PHONE ACTUALLY COMES OUT.
If available today, I think many would agree that SE has boosted its credentials and would give it top marks. However, if the phone does not appear, for example until the end of the year, then I'm afraid to say that I will be underwhelmed. By then, it will have been over taken and left behind.
Never before, can I remember the time line being so important for an SE new release. The clocks ticking... the jury is out!
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 14:42
I agree completely, we have to remember that as good as this phone looks right now, it's not a million miles away from some of the Windows Mobile kit that's already out there. If you compare this to the Tytn II for example, it has a better display and it's smaller/lighter - but then the Tytn II was released in October last year, and it's odds on that there will be a Tytn III appearing around October this year. What improvements is it likely to have? Better display, size and weight! In fact, since the X1 is reportedly made by HTC, we may even be looking at the Tytn III already, with just an SE-designed exterior!

If the X1 is released in July, say, the chances are it will really stand out. If it's released at the end of the year, it may well be lost amongst very similar devices.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-02-11 13:44 ]
sadeghi85
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 14:44
Welcome back, dogmann, but you agree that this is a good move from ?
nicopogi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 15:57
suddenly, s60 feels less superior. SE's hardware aesthethics is fine and now with a promising tweaked and twisted OS it feels so much richer...
bijou
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 15:58
http://gizmodo.com/354853/vid[....]ds-on-sony-ericssons-xperia-x1

some thought from us.gizmodo
FreshPrince
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 15:59

On 2008-02-11 14:32:32, PeterKay wrote:
well spotted.

@PK
So it's the UIQ version of the X1?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 15:59
Nice quote from SE on the X1, given in a Microsoft press conference today - as reported on Modaco:

We truly believe we can bring value and excitement to the market, and looking at the WinMo devices, we thought we could do better! We have Symbian, we have our own platform, but I think now in our view we are getting into a new stage for Sony Ericsson. We would like to focus on great UX, and we feel we can build something on Windows Mobile.

Sounds like they're not just in it for one handset...
laurenke01
K790
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 16:00
@FreshPrince: No, it's just that there are multiple prototypes out--one with a finished keyboard and one without.

The UIQ version will be announced Wed.
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 16:10
@Dogmann

agree 100% this is nothing but a rebranded htc with an SE home screen and some "SONY Branding" the screen and chipset is nice.. but going windows mobile just seems like a low to me...

not to mention the UIQ devices announced don't seem to be able to use the new chipsets... shame on SE...and again 1 year late lol..
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 16:41
As a total convert to WM, I think more than a few people here are going to be surprised when they overcome their initial bias and actually try one of these out.

UIQ to Windows Mobile involves a little learning curve, but that's all. Contrary to popular opinion, Windows Mobile is just as stable as UIQ if not more so, and many times more powerful in terms of the application support, customisation etc. It's unbeatable for business use, with perfect Exchange integration, and PC synchronisation that makes SE's efforts with UIQ look completely amateur.

The way some talk around here, you'd think UIQ was the holy grail of perfection in an OS, and WM was just an unworkable mess. In reality neither is true - the two UI's are really a lot closer than you'd think. WM could learn some tricks from UIQ/Symbian in terms of power saving, and longer battery life, but UIQ can't hold a candle to WM in many other areas, and it's difficult for me to see just how the UIQ interface is any more useable than WM, now that I've gotten used to both.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-11 16:44

On 2008-02-11 16:10:36, DragonEye wrote:
@Dogmann

agree 100% this is nothing but a rebranded htc with an SE home screen and some "SONY Branding" the screen and chipset is nice.. but going windows mobile just seems like a low to me...

not to mention the UIQ devices announced don't seem to be able to use the new chipsets... shame on SE...and again 1 year late lol..

Wrong. I would NOT DARE make such a simple assumption or statement.
1) The CPU is a joint development between Ericsson & TI > this is like an insultive stab to HTC (since they left their Aug 2007 chip agreement with Ericsson and went to Qualcomm). Just to show HTC Ericsson has still got intellectual PULL if you will.
2) Remember, Touch UI is NOT just a homescreen that HTC made. There are other improvements to the WM6 Pro GUI that were done; address book finger scrolling, Pocket IE finger scrolling, and others that you don't find in other PPC PE devices like Palm Treo 750 or HTC's own TyTN I model. I highly doubt that this is just Ericsson's home screen either.
3) Optical finger navigation is VERY similar to what Samsung has on the i780 device and ONLY they have this!
There are still other improvements that I'm sure that is NOT going to show us for others to simply have their coding teams "photocopy" or for the aspiring l33t coder to make it freeware.

Nokia S60 Touch STILL has a few things to surprise us so lets see what EVERYBODY has to offer this week.

PS unless memory or SSD becomes EXTREMELY CHEAP & smaller over the next few months and a 1yr target for competitors; then the X1 will definately hold its own as HTC will begin to move more and more in the TabletPC and UMPC space.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 16:45
@Boinng

wm6 isn't that bad.. it's just ugly and i don't like how it does certain things... but you're right it does have a lot of upside...

but seeing that start bar makes me want to chuck it out the window lol
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
Jimster71
G700 Bronze
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 17:20

On 2008-02-11 15:59:44, FreshPrince wrote:

@PK
So it's the UIQ version of the X1?

No, it isn't.
laurenke01
K790
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 17:43
According to this site, the X1 has the touch-auto focus the G-series does.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/8971.html

Can anyone confirm?
nk126
K790
PM
Posted: 2008-02-11 17:45
FWIW, I just attended SE's virtual press conference for the North American market. Here's my summary (which will appear on Phonedog.com shortly), including a few things about X1 that you probably knew ... but maybe didn't:

MWC 2008: Live from Sony Ericsson's North American Press Conference

No doubt, it's been a big week already for Sony Ericsson. SE dropped a fistful of devices at their pre-MWC press gathering in Barcelona Sunday, including the do it all Xperia X1 smartphone. The folks from SE were kind enough to hold a virtual press conference just now (Monday morning California time) to address product plans and questions about the North American market. Here are the highlights:

- No, SE wouldn't give any pricing information on the X1 other than to say that it's a "high end" device and will be priced accordingly. Sony + "High End" usually = $$$$.

- Yes, lots of North American carriers are in a tizzy about the Xperia X1, but no, SE won't say anything about who might wind up carrying it in the US or Canada. And yes, the X1 might be sold as an unlocked device, but not really yes because SE leaves that kind of thing up to their distribution partners. So, no, there's no real news about carriers.

- Yes, SE worked with HTC on the Xperia X1, but they wouldn't disclose any details about the arrangement. It's been reported on the Web this week that HTC "built" the X1, while SE "built" the custom Xperia Panels software layer that sits atop the standard Windows Mobile interface.

- Yes, the X1 uses a version of Windows Mobile customized for finger input on a touchscreen. And yes, it uses Windows Media Player. No, it doesn't use SE's Walkman software.

- Yes, the X1 supports video conferencing.

- Yes, SE will be upping their presence in the North American market this year. While several devices announced in Barcelona this week don't support North American HSDPA bands, SE will be unveiling new "Walkman, Cyber-Shot, and other devices" with NA-friendly HSDPA in the latter part of 2008. SE's marketing folks also reminded us of the w760 Walkman phone and its triple-band HSDPA, which was unveiled at CES last month.

- No, the fact that the X1 is SE's first WIndows Mobile device does not spell - or imply - the end of SE handsets running Symbian's UIQ platform.

- Yes, the X1 has a standard 3.5mm audio jack.

- No, none of the other new SE devices have a standard 3.5mm audio jack. They all continue to use SE's proprietary Fastport connector.

And while SE answered the first two questions I typed into the chat room, they totally dodged my inquiry about possible further announcements coming from their camp this week. Rumor has it that two Symbian UIQ-running SE smartphones - the "Paris" (aka P5i) and "Beibei" (Walkman smartphone) may be unleashed in conjunction with a Symbian media event on Wednesday.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 313233 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic