Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 196197198 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-12 20:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
You think this is geeky.......wait for another year, until I finsih my MSc in IT, then I'll show you the meaning of the work geeky .

Expansys are a pleasure to deal with. I got my 3.5mm converter for the TyTn II from them. Excellent service, recieved it in like 3 days after ordering, considering two of those were the weekend, I was shocked .

BAH! All you americans.......all show no go , how else did the RAZR become so famous. Throw a bit of metal and the americans are all over it . Look at the iPhone as well, BAH! not go at all.....wait! scratch the iPhone from the list......I wanted one as well, so it must be good
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-12 20:29

On 2008-08-12 15:41:05, aksd wrote:
Android is more of an iPhone and Symbian(more iPhone though) competitor. Most of the WM users will stick to WM imo. WM makes business oriented things just so easy when compared to any other platform.

Android looks to be very practical in use (a good thing). But I must say, it doesn't have that "high-end" look to it (transitions/touch-screen). Maybe I'm watching the wrong videos? But wthout all of the flourishes of the iPhone, it will be automatically relegated as a low/mid-range OS in people's minds.
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-12 20:36
BAH! All you americans.......all show no go...

amen! as a European citizen I have to admit that I don't understand 99% of their fascinations. that's ok because they don't understand us
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-12 20:40

On 2008-08-12 20:29:37, WhyBe wrote:

On 2008-08-12 15:41:05, aksd wrote:
Android is more of an iPhone and Symbian(more iPhone though) competitor. Most of the WM users will stick to WM imo. WM makes business oriented things just so easy when compared to any other platform.

Android looks to be very practical in use (a good thing). But I must say, it doesn't have that "high-end" look to it (transitions/touch-screen). Maybe I'm watching the wrong videos? But wthout all of the flourishes of the iPhone, it will be automatically relegated as a low/mid-range OS in people's minds.

To understand the iPhone and Android you have to understand they're not really true smartphone platforms, no matter what any iPhone fanboy says so, it just is'nt. In recent times theres been an influx of a new type of phone platform, the feature phone platfrom. The first such platform was the Motorola LJ-MOTOMAGX platform, such as the V8 and Z6, pity Motorola still have'nt released the final SDK. These feature phones have the ability to install 3rd party native apps like a smartphone. BUT the type of apps are severly restricted by the OS manufacturer. Also several of them dont allow native apps multitasking such as LJ and OS-X on the iPhone. A task manager is also missing. The feature phone platform is targeted at the complete end user who wants a powerful phone without the headaches of memory management, running out of RAM and reboots(as experienced on the early UIQ3.0 and S60 3rd Edition phones)

Now Android allows multitasking, but the reason I would brand it as a feature phone platform for the time being is because of the type of app that is installed on the Android, as far as the SDK goes native apps are not supported, only a special hybrid type Java app, the implementation of this is unique and quite awesome imo. But as its based on a VM(Virtual Machine) a few limitations are present(for the better for the end user if I may add).

So basically iPhone and Android and MOTOMAGX are targeted at the casual user and not the power user. WHile WM is a perfect example of a completely open platform, perfect example of a smart phone/PDA, so is Symbian to an extent, I hope it remains this way and not go the feature phone way.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-12 20:40

On 2008-08-12 20:36:23, Raiderski wrote:
BAH! All you americans.......all show no go...

amen! as a European citizen I have to admit that I don't understand 99% of their fascinations. that's ok because they don't understand us

Haa! Style over substance. It's a disease and it's contagious
I'm not fully infected yet, I still like style AND substance. But, Americans love sexy things. The iPhone and the RAZr are sexy.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-08-12 19:43 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-12 21:04

On 2008-08-12 20:40:09, aksd wrote:
So basically iPhone and Android and MOTOMAGX are targeted at the casual user and not the power user. WHile WM is a perfect example of a completely open platform, perfect example of a smart phone/PDA, so is Symbian to an extent, I hope it remains this way and not go the feature phone way.

It's all going the iPhone way (Xpanels/ TouchFlo 3D/Nokia Touch whatever). At the end of the day, how much computing power and multitasking does one need when driving or standing in line at the grocery store or texting your girlfriend?
So, in the end, phones are going to focus on user experience (casual user) as opposed to raw computing power (power user). There's a market for both, but the former is much more lucrative for manufacturers.

Casual users will want more and more features which, inevitably, will require more and more computing power. So it works out well for both groups actually (casual and power users).

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-08-12 20:09 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-12 21:09
You miss the point, I'm not talking about UI, but about OS implementation. They both go hand in hand, but ust because WM gets fancy interface does'nt make it a feature phone platfrom. Feature phone platforms leave memory management to the OS, such as closing of apps etc. while your smartphone platfrom lets the user decide which app to close and when, this is but one difference.

You might need less multitasking than person B, and person C might need more than person B. Just because you dont want to multi task does'nt mean B and C dont want to multi task. Eg: Person B listens to music, checks his mails, is chatting online with a friend, as well as browsing the net all at the same time. Person C is running Word in the background, copy stuff from a mail into word, listening to music as well as has a website open in the background for some reference. You cant do this on feature phones, and there are people who want this. Also B and C would like a good UI to make things all the more quicker and snappier.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-12 21:39
I get what you're saying and agree with your point.

So give A, B and C a powerful hardware platform with a great UI on an open-OS and we're practically there.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-08-12 20:46 ]
Astral1
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-12 22:36
But at which point does any one buy a laptop, instead of a smart phone (convergent device) and indeed, at which point does either device overlap the other taking price point into consideration.

I relly would like an X1, but can only really consider it because i am in UK, on a contract, and may get one as an upgrade at a heavily discounted price.

If i had to buy it sim free, i would sooner put the £599 towards an impressive laptop.
If we evolved from apes, why are there still apes ?
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-12 22:46
Yeah, but I'd hate to drive down the street with the laptop to my ear talking to Mom.

Or what about being in class and trying to take notes on a X1 keyboard ?

Just joking...I think that's a personal decision based on what applications you want done and which form factor is acceptable to utilize that application.
Humble
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 00:31
to Raiderski
I am sorry if my enthusiasm for numerous ground breaking handhelds causes you to show disdain in one such area in your case Android I didnt say it was groundbreaking but a different addition to an already exciting horizon,
I apologise if you have misinterpreted my earlier posts (thats if you have already read them) I am not biased eitherway (:
NimmyxHuynh
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 01:12

On 2008-08-12 22:46:12, WhyBe wrote:
Yeah, but I'd hate to drive down the street with the laptop to my ear talking to Mom.

Or what about being in class and trying to take notes on a X1 keyboard ?

Just joking...I think that's a personal decision based on what applications you want done and which form factor is acceptable to utilize that application.

Oh man, I think that would be soo cool! to take your notes on the Xperia hahaha.
Everyone writing in their notebook or binder and here you are, with your X1, writing on the 3" screen. xD

Talk about saving desk space.
Mclarenf1
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 01:37
Quote:

On 2008-08-12 21:09:52, aksd wrote:
You miss the point, I'm not talking about UI, but about OS implementation. They both go hand in hand, but ust because WM gets fancy interface does'nt make it a feature phone platfrom. Feature phone platforms leave memory management to the OS, such as closing of apps etc. while your smartphone platfrom lets the user decide which app to close and when, this is but one difference.

You might need less multitasking than person B, and person C might need more than person B. Just because you dont want to multi task does'nt mean B and C dont want to multi task. Eg: Person B listens to music, checks his mails, is chatting online with a friend, as well as browsing the net all at the same time. Person C is running Word in the background, copy stuff from a mail into word, listening to music as well as has a website open in the background for some reference. You cant do this on feature phones, and there are people who want this. Also B and C would like a good UI to make things all the more quicker and snappier.

actually i can do this with my P1i or i can say i do this every day.
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-13 05:00
@McLaren

Nobody said you cant do it with your P1i. You cant do it with a feature phone, i.e an iPhone or a Motorola MOTOMAGX. The P1i is a smartphone.
Humble
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 09:45
Raiderski You continually misinterpreting my original intent lol its ok though
nice phone by the way It is sometimes nice to show a little animation, What would the olympic audience be like if everyone was stoic and uninterested, Cheer up my dear friend, by the way my current phone at the moment retailed at 14.99 GBP and 5 pound talk credit credit and I still love it
tut tut I have too much vigor in my life. lol

[ This Message was edited by: Humble on 2008-08-13 08:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Humble on 2008-08-13 10:20 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 196197198 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic