Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Previous  123 ... 146147148 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-06-04 23:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-06-04 21:52:22, Dogmann wrote:
@Nightblade

Yet another truly stunning and insightful post and just what do you base that on? as most WM users are used to HTC or the branded versions not SE with it's first WM product. No where near as many people love SE or think they are brilliant as you seem to think as otherwise SE wouldn't of slipped to 5th now would they?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-04 20:57 ]

My statement is based on both comments from many internet tech blogs to personal opinions of some of my friends. Speaking of which, even my brother's going to buy it and he's not such a SE fanatic. He likes it... very much.
VinnyP!
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-04 23:40

On 2008-06-04 21:52:22, Dogmann wrote:
The interest in this thread on a pro SE forum is not even in the hundreds so is hardly going to make a big impact on sales. >

Sales are going to be biggest from people who go into a store and look at the dummy phone and go wow I want one of those and from those that sites and magazines review favourably.

I have no idea whether that will be the case for the X1 or if it will be a good phone. I do think Iphone (apple know how to market) aside it's only a vsmall minority like us who wait for the next best phone to upgrade to; lack of interest in the run up will not be very indicative of final market share.
Humble
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-06-04 23:40
Aksd your assumptions as far as I can tell by your posts are very clearly thought out, Dogmann and Whybe also raise some very interesting points
sorry bout that, Im stil going to get the X1, but if the snapdragon u500 omap3 apx2500 come out around the same time, then thats where the dilemma begins, By next generation all of these devices will be able to encode decode in 720P HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you understand NEXT GENERATION lol integrated HDMI port OPENGL ES 2.1 revised!!!!
I see a time when laptop would be redundant you just hook up your monitor to hdmi_dvi convertor wireless key board and mouse,
and the beginning of the new era of open platform (android like OS) I can go on for days, but an important development in low k soc techniques
energy efficiency (rohs) could themultiple ARM architecture superceed the power hungry x86s lol maybe a long way off but technology is increasing at a logarithmic rate, its not long that HD tv came out now they can pack all that gate logics in the size of your small finger nail ULTRA LOW POWER
is it me or is this revolutionary, aksd was indeed correct about the X1 being evolutionary, its a lovely looking device but if you compare NEXTGEN to X1
then.......
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-05 04:57

On 2008-06-04 22:13:18, WhyBe wrote:

On 2008-06-04 22:11:16, iwantfatty wrote:
Well a $1100 dollars for something to show friends a couple of times, if anything the iphone interface is still way ahead or what’s coming from the X1

Well, we don't know for sure do we?

Ooh yes we do , the iPhone UI is based on OpenGL, not the X1, WM des'nt support OpenGL in the UI implementation. THe iphone touch friendly features are for all apps not just those by the manufacturer like the X1.

I really dont think you should go into this again, like I said I know people who've used it and theres not much thats finger friendly or stunning about the UI, yes the panels are great but beyond that there are no effects in the interface. I said it several times before and I'll say it again, basic apps like messaging, settings etc.. are all still WM. So thinking that you're going to get a phone with a mind blowing UI that bests the iPhone is keeping your head waay up in the clouds.

@Humble

Its your call on which phone you'd go for , if you like the X1 buy it, but all I'm saying if the X1 comes late 2008 then its good to wait 1-3months more ad buy something thats way more powerful than the X1 at the same cost, dont you think
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 05:34

On 2008-06-05 04:57:12, aksd wrote:

On 2008-06-04 22:13:18, WhyBe wrote:

On 2008-06-04 22:11:16, iwantfatty wrote:
Well a $1100 dollars for something to show friends a couple of times, if anything the iphone interface is still way ahead or what’s coming from the X1

Well, we don't know for sure do we?

Ooh yes we do , the iPhone UI is based on OpenGL, not the X1, WM des'nt support OpenGL in the UI implementation. THe iphone touch friendly features are for all apps not just those by the manufacturer like the X1.

You mean, you have a production version of the X1? Tell us what it's like pleeease. I don't see why any "new" WM app these days would not be finger friendly--especially those for the X1 or new HTC's.

I really dont think you should go into this again, like I said I know people who've used it and theres not much thats finger friendly or stunning about the UI, yes the panels are great but beyond that there are no effects in the interface. I said it several times before and I'll say it again, basic apps like messaging, settings etc.. are all still WM. So thinking that you're going to get a phone with a mind blowing UI that bests the iPhone is keeping your head waay up in the clouds.

I don't know how great the X1 UI will be, but I suspect it won't be the WM same-ol' same-ol'. I'm talking about the main suite of apps. Who cares how the settings screen looks?

@Humble

Its your call on which phone you'd go for , if you like the X1 buy it, but all I'm saying if the X1 comes late 2008 then its good to wait 1-3months more ad buy something thats way more powerful than the X1 at the same cost, dont you think

Or you could wait 6 months after that and get something even better. For that matter, you could wait an additional 6 months to get something that'll really blow your socks off. And 6 months after that???.....OMG!!!

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-06-05 04:36 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-05 05:46
Areyou blind? Where did I mention I had a phone? Open GL is NOT supported by the WM UI. Is that hard to understand?

You mentioned it'll be better than the iPhone, so I said it wont as the UI wont cover [b]all[/apps], you might not need the settings(very stange imo), but 99% of all other WM users do change their settings . We WM users also tend to use our mesaging devices for mails and messaging, and those apps remain the same.

You're being daft, I've mentoned several times over that the SE UI is only skin deep, no matter how hard they try they cannot change the core. There are quite a few of us who use external apps on a smartphone, and we cant afford to spend 1000+ dollars on a phone just to show off to our friends. I think quite a few of the potential X1 users come into this category. WIhtout any understanding on what is possible and what not on a WM platfrom you make very strong statements. The stuffy you're dreaming off is'nt possible on WM6.1. You should first read about WM and its limitations.

Regarding the waiting bit , do you have short term memory loss? Did'nt you read the post where I mentioned why I'd rather wait, or do you basically remember what you'd like to remember? Its my opinion, if the X1 was available tomorrow I'd say buy it, but its not, and this Nov MwG I doubt you've even heard the name as you know nothing about WM, are releasing the fist WM7 phone.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 06:25

On 2008-06-05 05:46:47, aksd wrote:
Areyou blind? Where did I mention I had a phone? Open GL is NOT supported by the WM UI. Is that hard to understand?

You mentioned it'll be better than the iPhone, so I said it wont as the UI wont cover [b]all[/apps], you might not need the settings(very stange imo), but 99% of all other WM users do change their settings . We WM users also tend to use our mesaging devices for mails and messaging, and those apps remain the same.

You're being daft, I've mentoned several times over that the SE UI is only skin deep, no matter how hard they try they cannot change the core. There are quite a few of us who use external apps on a smartphone, and we cant afford to spend 1000+ dollars on a phone just to show off to our friends. I think quite a few of the potential X1 users come into this category. WIhtout any understanding on what is possible and what not on a WM platfrom you make very strong statements. The stuffy you're dreaming off is'nt possible on WM6.1. You should first read about WM and its limitations.

Regarding the waiting bit , do you have short term memory loss? Did'nt you read the post where I mentioned why I'd rather wait, or do you basically remember what you'd like to remember? Its my opinion, if the X1 was available tomorrow I'd say buy it, but its not, and this Nov MwG I doubt you've even heard the name as you know nothing about WM, are releasing the fist WM7 phone.

OK, calm down

I never said anything was going to be better than iPhone. I have no way of knowing that yet. I do feel can have a UI as well designed as iPhone's. What do you think Xperia UI and TouchFlo3D are trying to accomplish?...iPhone like GUIs, that's what. Of course they are not going to transform the entire WM UI into their own--just the main apps that people will use on the phone should suffice (dialer, media, camera, etc.).

I also feel that any "new" WM third party software will also be finger friendly or eye-candyish just because it is the trend now in smartphones. Of course, some developers will be better at it than others. Obviously, the old apps will always look like the old apps.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-06-05 05:28 ]
iwantfatty
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 12:09
Sure they are gonna improve upon the W6.1 interface with typical sony style. but wont it be just that, a WM device in a dress?
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 12:36
@iwantfatty

On 2008-06-05 12:09:54, iwantfatty wrote:
Sure they are gonna improve upon the W6.1 interface with typical sony style. but wont it be just that, a WM device in a dress?

Yes. You say that like it's a bad thing

I think it's a great way for manufacturers to differentiate their WM devices from one another besides having differing hardware specs.

I don't know so much about changing the WM 6.1 interface, as you say, but they definitely are putting a layer of candy on top of it aksd is right in saying it's still going to be the ol' WM underneath it all.
Humble
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 16:19
Just Like to apologise on some information that I wrote earlier concerning the Video performance of the Next generation platform, I stated that the devices are capable of 720p H264 encode and decode,
the Nvidia Tegra Processor is capable of 720p encode H264, and 1080P H264 decode
http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/06/nvidia-tegra-cp.html
Humble
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 16:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYshhuJzh4

just came across this and it supports my view
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 20:51

On 2008-06-05 16:19:40, Humble wrote:
Just Like to apologise on some information that I wrote earlier concerning the Video performance of the Next generation platform, I stated that the devices are capable of 720p H264 encode and decode,
the Nvidia Tegra Processor is capable of 720p encode H264, and 1080P H264 decode
http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/06/nvidia-tegra-cp.html

Pretty impressive, of course, but are there any devices set for market that are employing this platform or are real products a year or more away?
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-05 21:42
@ WhyBe

Regarding finger friendly apps for WM, about them being availabe shortly, ermmm.... which world do you live in? , they've been available for quite some time now, over six months. You can check out ww.pointui.com, www.throttlelauncher.com and theres a www.spbsoftwarehouse.com, and tonnes more, the X1 wont change that.

Part finger friendly and part not finger friendly is a pain in the arse, the final product ends up feeling like its confused. You might say you wont use the settings menu, etc, but I'm sure you use the file manager, at this moment the X1 does'nt have a finger friendly file manager and there is'nt any commercially availabe, although the new resco one seems more finger oriented.

Phones get the APX2500(not sure if thats the one in the vid), I think it supports only WM as far as I know and the first phone should be out 1-2Q 2009, if not this then on the Snapdragon platform that is quite similar.
Heres a link for the APX2500 http://www.engadget.com/2008/[....]lphone-applications-processor/
http://www.nvidia.com/object/apx_2500.html

A few vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqfn3KNLTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD4SrVZlcig

Now thats why I'm excited about early next year products. THe Qualcomm solutions should be market ready Q1 2009.

WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 21:57
On 2008-06-05 21:42:15, aksd wrote:
@ WhyBe

Regarding finger friendly apps for WM, about them being availabe shortly...

I only said that it is the trend, I didn't say it was a new concept hitting the market. I'm just saying less and less of the old style UI will be employed. And I'm not just talking about app launchers either.

Where did I say I won't use settings? You keep mis-interpreting my statements into something grossly different than what I meant.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-06-05 20:59 ]
iwantfatty
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-06-05 21:58
I think aksd has got it right, that the final product will most likely feel confused, optical joystick? Big ass keyboard? Touch screen? Weird ugly WM menus combined with pretty SE menus
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 146147148 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic