Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Previous  123 ... 117118119 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
imranbashir
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 01:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Simply manufacturing a device for SE does not give HTC access to all the technologies and secrets of the X1. Patents and software/firmware are huge factors in giving one manufacturer an advantage over the other. HTC can't just simply "steal" SE's technology and implement it into their own design.

Exactly what do you think that Xperia has that is unique and patented that HTC would want to ‘steal’ but can’t.

Everything the Xperia has apart from panels has been tried and tested in someway on a WM device before.

Don’t start mentioning Arc sliding etc, as that is purely aesthetic, not clever electronics.

[ This Message was edited by: imranbashir on 2008-05-07 00:29 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 01:39

On 2008-05-07 01:22:01, imranbashir wrote:
Hardware wise the iPhone was not that advanced, lacking even 3G! The only thing it bought at that was truly new was the software GUI.

That's a great testament to Apple. The iPhone was behind the tech curve but still won out by software design and great marketing.

SE's main selling point of X1 is the premium "user experience." This tells me that SE (like every other manufacturer) learned something from iPhone's GUI design. I hope the X1 GUI is something as well designed as iPhones. Since the iPhone, all smartphones are going to survive or fail on the GUI.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 01:49

On 2008-05-07 01:28:21, imranbashir wrote:
Exactly what do you think that Xperia has that is unique and patented that HTC would want to ‘steal’ but can’t.

I'm sure there are tons of patents up under the hood of the X1 that HTC can't touch.

Besides sex appeal, HTC probably can't duplicate the COMBINATION of X1's:
A. Price point
B. Performance
C. Size
D. Hardware features
E. Battery life
F. GUI design
G Durability
H. Manufacturing cost feasibility

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-07 00:58 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 02:21
patents arent impostant in asia, they steal and copy everything, that an apart of the traditions there, sadly...

just look at the many chinses copycats, do u think its different in taiwan? dont think so...

so it doesnt matter what se patented, they ll steal and copy it anyway
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 02:26

On 2008-05-07 02:21:33, BobaFett wrote:
patents arent impostant in asia, they steal and copy everything, that an apart of the traditions there, sadly...

just look at the many chinses copycats, do u think its different in taiwan? dont think so...

so it doesnt matter what se patented, they ll steal and copy it anyway

That's what lawyers and courts are for
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 02:30
me seems they arent very succesful in asia... especially i china and co

do u really think and se would / could have a chance against htc? dont think so.

donnow who is responseable for the design at xperia, was it se or htc, but i think se wont do any steps against htc, cos of the design ( diamond ) se needs htc, but for htc se isnt that important

/// Ericsson Forum
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 02:33
What's HTC's market share around the world as opposed to SE's. I'm not aware of the numbers.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 02:38
donnow either, have to check it, but htc is that big like se, so with less cost they can do more money, according the less workers and less costs imo

anyway, we ll see if xperia will offer sg really new on the market or the advantage is that it will serve uiq and wm fans aswell

/// Ericsson Forum
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 02:46
I think X1 is intended for SE to break into the US WinMo market. WM is the top smartphone OS in the US.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 02:54
thats right, but u think that this will be the chance for uiq to get more "fame" ? i can hardly imagine, that wm fans go for the xperia, cos of the huge lack of support. look at wm, tons of apps. also the design is nothing new actaully next to tytn etc small different marks, but that all

/// Ericsson Forum
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 03:03
UIQ???

The X1 is WinMo 6.1

The p5i will be UIQ.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 03:15
sorry, my fault, mixed it...

anyway, why would be an se wm better then a htc for example? i can see rarely any se smartfones around me

/// Ericsson Forum
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 06:38
@imranbashir,
i too see nothing unique about the x1 & it will end up being just another windows mobile gadget.
all the hype around se's products is predominantly only here on esato & not so much on other forums or elsewhere on the web.
the need of the hour is a camera free smart/pda phone. there are numerous people in various discussions/forums enquiring about a camera free windows mobile phone/symbian smartphone.
the imate jaq inspite of it's flaws is a total sell out.
inspite of being officially discontinued nokia is still churning out 9300s & that is because there is a demand & it is still selling for $ 300.
camera free blackberrys are still doing better business than the htcs with 2 mega pixel cameras.
if se wants to do some serious smartphone selling they have to drop the freaking camera asap.
there is also a rumour of a camera free version of the e90 to be expected soon.
@whybe,
sex appeal? [addsig]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 06:41
just to be fair ( even i agree according the se hype ) esato is still the only forum, which is dedicated for 1 brand, NO other brand has the same community, like this.

BUT all this started here with once, so the fortune of se is, that the "e" apart of the brand had a huge fan club already in the past...

sorry for off topic

/// Ericsson Forum
imranbashir
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 10:22

Can we try and get a few things clear. By designing the Xperia exactly what input do people think SonyEricsson had?

The GSM module sections would just be lifted from existing designs either HTC or SE that includes the circuit capture and PCB tracking, the Qualcomm chipset comes with recommended schematics and PCB tracking rules (reference designs), HTC have made many phones incorporating there chipsets so are well aware of the designs rules, and this would have been reused. Things like PCB stack, layout of components would have all been lifted from existing designs, probably HTC’s as they have proven designs that work.

The optical joystick is just a track pad, also done before by HTC. The screen driver is again common; it’s just a DC-DC step up regulator and a few buffers out of the Qualcomm processor.

It is very unlikely that SonyEricsson would have done all the schematic capture themselves and then tracked the PCB themselves, just giving HTC Gerber (manufacturing information) data to go out and get a PCB manufactured and assembled.

The whole electrical design would have been done by HTC, however SonyEricsson, would have done most if not all the mechanical design, the styling, chassis, keyboard, materials used, etc...

With regards to cost, HTC would have procured all the items on behalf of SonyEricsson, it is quite normal for the assembly house to charge 10% mark-up on all purchases to cover admin costs and increase their profit. The advantage to SonyEricsson is that it would not need to hold any physical stock of components, which have to be stored under very tightly controlled conditions.

My opinion: -

HTC did all the electrical design work, with only top level decisions made by SonyEricsson. i.e how much memory, screen size, resolution, processor speed, etc...

SonyEricsson did all the mechanical and styling design work with HTC having limited input, i.e, location of connects, slots etc to aid manufacturing / routing of PCB.

[ This Message was edited by: imranbashir on 2008-05-07 09:26 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 117118119 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic