Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 116117118 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 23:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Businesses succeed by being first to the punch (thus iPhone's success). Playing me too is not a good position to be in for any manufacturer. You would essentially be competing for the first manufacturer's table scraps (all other device makers vs Apple iPhone).

So if HTC indeed had something equal or superior to the X1, they need to announce it now and release it BEFORE X1. If they wait until Sony has developed brand recognition (very crucial for future success) with the X1, they will forever be playing catch-up/me-too game like Apple has done to it's smartphone competitors (including SE).

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-06 22:30 ]
imranbashir
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 23:48
Sorry but I disagree and here are my reasons. Apple success is down to a few things: -
1. Styling
2. Timing
3. Brand loyalty
Styling
All three devices (iPhone, Diamond, Xperia) are beautifully styled.
Timing
Apple announces their devices and then there available within a few weeks if not the very next day. There is no lull period where people are left waiting building up expectations only to have them smashed. Also it does not give time for another manufacturer to announce something better in the pipline...

HTC are doing the same with the diamond, prices are already available on Xpansys.

Sony Ericsson have announced their device back in march. I own an XDA Orbit and was going to upgrade to the Orbit 2, but when I heard about the Xperia, I decided to wait. Now that I know the diamond will be out in a month, I might as well buy that, and then move over to the Xperia next year, if nothing better is out, as it will be cheaper by then, and hopefully have some cooked ROMs.
The point I’m trying to make is now every manufacturer has the opportunity to announce something better while the Xperia is in its design stage. If the Xperia was announced in March and released April / May then that would have been a different story.

All HTC have to do is announce the Touch Pro in August and release it just before or at the same time as the Xperia.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 23:56
These devices are designed over years of time...not whipped together in a couple of weeks. If the X1 is taking so long, then any similar device from any other manufacturer will take just as long unless they are rehashing some old technology or selling another manufacturer's device under their own name.

Apple iPhone success is not just brand loyalty. It's their FIRST phone, where did the loyalty come from, iPod kids?

X1 prices have been on Xpansys for quite some time now as well as in other places...means nothing.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-06 22:57 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:10
@Whybe

There is no price for the X1 on Expansys now and i have never seen one on there either, could you tell me what price you have seen at then. As all i have seen is speculation of what the price may be which really isn't surprising considering still how long away it is from launch.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-06 23:12 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:17
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n[....]as%3Daps&field-keywords=xperia

Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:17
All of the prices I have seen are in the $900 range. I'm sure they are speculative prices and not concrete. I don't keep a list of such sites but search Xperia X1 into Froogle. There are also links earlier in this thread.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-06 23:30 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:19
u ll find only unofficial prices, guessings and junk, nothing else.
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:22
Yeah...what I said...
imranbashir
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:25
I never said the phones were whipped together in a few weeks. What I said was they should announce the phone and release it within a few weeks like HTC or Apple.

I see no advantage in showing your hand too early, if you do that, then other manufactures can modify a device that is currently in the design stage to make sure it is better then the one that has been announced. The only thing that is important is time to market, not that you announced a device first.

Yes the Xperia is better than the HTC Diamond, but as it stands the Diamond will be available in June, the Xperia in September, that’s nearly a whole quarter ahead. I could buy the Diamond, know that it will work reliably as its HTC’s bread and butter with great support from XDA-Developers, use it for six months by which time we will know if the Xperia has any issues with WVGA and if it’s possible to get any cooked ROMs on it such as to include TouchFLOW 3D. Sell my Diamond and buy the Xperia.

PS: By apple brand loyalty I did mean iPod kids as you called them!

[ This Message was edited by: imranbashir on 2008-05-06 23:28 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:40

On 2008-05-07 00:25:35, imranbashir wrote:
...I see no advantage in showing your hand too early, if you do that, then other manufactures can modify a device that is currently in the design stage to make sure it is better then the one that has been announced. The only thing that is important is time to market, not that you announced a device first. ...

PS: By apple brand loyalty I did mean iPod kids as you called them!

You make it seem as if these manufacturers can turn on a dime and change a device and release it quickly. It just doesn't work that way. All manufacturer have access to the same technology until patents become involved or they license a technology exclusively (iPhone Multitouch). I'm sure they don't just look at another manufacturers device specs, then whip together something a little better quickly and beat the other manufacturer to the market. Such devices would probably be crap.

I think the iPhone user base/demographics is a lot wider than just iPod users.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-06 23:55 ]
norti
X1 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:52

On 2008-05-07 00:25:35, imranbashir wrote:
I never said the phones were whipped together in a few weeks. What I said was they should announce the phone and release it within a few weeks like HTC or Apple.

This is where SE always fails and doesn't learn: marketing. They can't develop a high-end phone silently in the background and present it when it is ready (this was the case with P990 in the past too). In the mid-range phones segment this seems to work already.
imranbashir
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 00:56

It’s very easy to tweak a design, dropping in a faster processor that’s pin compatible, larger flash prom device again pin compatible, mods like this are easy and cost no time in development.

Design times are not as long as you think, most are based on reference designs, so schematics are there, regulator circuits can be lifted from existing phones, flash memory is just bussed, none of this is very difficult and very easy to tweak in the early design stages of a phone.

Most phone design cycles are 12-18 months tops, with Xperia specs being announced 6 months or so before it’s released, any manufacturer could bring out a device that rivals it a short time after the Xperia is released.

Whether they will or not is a different matter, they might not want to target the uber high end market . HTC will have a further advantage of knowing the specs way before anyone else as they were the ODM / OEM.

Anyway this debate has gone way off course...
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 01:01

On 2008-05-07 00:56:58, imranbashir wrote:
...Most phone design cycles are 12-18 months tops, with Xperia specs being announced 6 months or so before it’s released, any manufacturer could bring out a device that rivals it a short time after the Xperia is released.

So testing your theory...why hasn't anyone trumped the iPhone yet?
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 01:15

On 2008-05-07 00:56:58, imranbashir wrote:
...Whether they will or not is a different matter, they might not want to target the uber high end market . HTC will have a further advantage of knowing the specs way before anyone else as they were the ODM / OEM.

Simply manufacturing a device for SE does not give HTC access to all the technologies and secrets of the X1. Patents and software/firmware are huge factors in giving one manufacturer an advantage over the other. HTC can't just simply "steal" SE's technology and implement it into their own design.
imranbashir
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 01:22
Hardware wise the iPhone was not that advanced, lacking even 3G! The only thing it bought at that was truly new was the software GUI.

Unfortunatly, software on WM devices are controlled by Microsoft, others have tried to allivate this problem TouchFLOW, PointUI, SPB mobile shell, etc..
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 116117118 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic