Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Ericsson to Buy Motorola Mobile Business?

Author Ericsson to Buy Motorola Mobile Business?
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 01:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Any competitor looking to take on Motorola's handset division is gonna have a HUGE and expensive restructuring job on thier hands. To my mind the ideal buyer would be Apple because of its US base, the fact that that there is no product clashes, and the opportunity to use Moto R&D, patents and partnerships to further expand the iPhone range and take on Europe with a really competitive mass market product range.

Apporola anyone?

@Bobafett
So long as Moto sales are struggling, rumours of possible buyouts will persist ad-nauseum I guess

"Innovation in styling comes from innovation in packaging" - Gordon Murray

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-02-03 00:49 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 01:45

On 2008-02-03 01:21:23, Sony α wrote:
@BobaFett

I feel that your comment about 'Sony Just not having' the knowledge is rather unfair.

The 'WalkMan' and 'Cyber-shot' brands are not Fun - they add dimension to an otherwise bland product - its this Sony Tie in that has helped Sony Ericsson sales Surge.

Sony are a company that if left alone to produce their handsets - would do a cracking job - and may I remind all those who many think otherwise, Every Sony Ericsson phone (Other than the S700i, hence why its the ONLY Sony Ericsson phone for the non-Japanese Mkt. produced in Japan) has been developed and engineered by Ericsson - so everyone crying out for the Venture to end, needs to think again - Sony Ericsson Phones are Produced by Ericsson.

To now change the colour completely, The Japanese handsets tend to be designed and engineered primarily by Sony...how many times have we heard, 'Oh I'd love to get my hands on an S0905iCS or a W62s' - its everytime.

We need to realise that Sony Are not a company who like to be left behind - in fact they are at the forefront all the time - if they were primarily producing our Sony Ericsson phones too - all these issues would not be present (ie FW, build quality etc).

The Sony Ericsson venture has dropped the gauntlet, and with so much potential, anything other than forward motion is little more than a horrid bad dream.

I loved reading this post, well said

especially this phrase:

"We need to realise that Sony Are not a company who like to be left behind - in fact they are at the forefront all the time - if they were primarily producing our Sony Ericsson phones too - all these issues would not be present (ie FW, build quality etc)."

in fact they too made mistakes(the CCD and battery issues) but they most of the time come up with solid and high quality products that really pleases buyers.

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2008-02-03 00:48 ]
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-03 01:55
does an extra brand name really do that much?
I don't care if my phone says: Walkman, Cybershot, Xperia, B&G, or anything else.
Sony has made some good things during its history, but also some bad choices. Like making its own memory cards.
But Sony has lost its value, ever since they cut the Aibo project and many other high tech ones, Sony has become nothing more then a comon brand.

I was always a Sony and Ericsson fan, but i will never like the idea of those 2 working together one phones, not at the expence of innovation.
Both company's were making innovation, untill the times turned bad, and what did they do, they gave it all up.
Just look at SE's pattents, most of them are idea's that are 6years old.

But lets get back to the topic, otherwize its another S vs E thread
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-04 15:02
@razec

Haha, thanks matey - wel its true they have had issues, but its the integrity behind their mistakes that shines through - they fix the issues!

@Bart

Without such branding, would we have such strong devices - with WalkMan and Cyber-shot branding, features have left other manufacturers trailing - Music Phones, ermm - ROKR E1? No thanks, ill keep my WALKMAN W800i!

Camera phones? LED Flash anyone, no thanks, ill stick with my Xenon flash on my K800i...

See, innovations are present - and I Promise, if it were primarily Sony engineering our Sony Ericsson range - the 3.5mm Jacks, 16 Million Colour Screens etc EVERYONE is going on about would be present - guaranteed.

Thats that, lets get back to the inital Ericsson AB to Buy Motorola's Handset Division...

Sony and Ericsson both rock, thats why we all love their products - both companies have up and down sides, thats the way the cookie crumbles - Business 101

Roll on Sony AND Ericsson Together!!

Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-04 15:22
16 m colour screen? others made it already since ages. 5.5 jack? also offered already. cybershot? just a name, means nothing, fone cams doesnt even match the low quality digi cams by sony. etc etc etc

se is alwasy missing the "wow" effect, made what it is, especially the "wow" effects, alwasy sg new and mostly first time...

but back to topic

now a days u have to look on the sales aswell and actually moto offers the usa and next to it many other countries all around the world.

seems its just a rumour actually, and moto merge, still couldnt find anything fresh about it. wondering, that the link u posted, why picked up such and old news and made it public with another date
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-02-04 15:55
I remember when these rumours originally appeared... and nothing came of it. I think this is the exact same story being rehashed.
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-04 16:08
@BobaFett

I meant in Sony Ericsson Products dude

Plus, the reason I brought this up was after a studio discussion about it - I figured it might make for some interesting opinions, considering Motorolas position.

Its not an argument im in search of - just for those of you who feel Sony Ericsson's ERICSSON Half is Superior, to think beyond the box.
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-02-04 16:13
Motorola had released sum fone with apple, some time ago. so cud be possible apple might just buy it?

Or who knows, MS cud jus buy it to counter iphone or sumthin?
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-05 13:32

[ This Message was edited by: BobaFett on 2008-02-05 13:03 ]
Rishone
Z520 black
PM
Posted: 2008-02-05 14:00
@ BobaFett

Now you are the Happiest man in the world right
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-02-05 14:51
@Sony α

Very interesting comments there. Not counting the W900i and S700i there are very few phones engineered in Japan for sale outside.

Anyway, there are a couple of reasons why that this Ericsson / Moto partnership is attractive the most important I think is it would automatically give a good foothold to the pityful share of the American market, somewhere where it hasn't made much of an impact.

Plus, it would catapult the new JV into the No2 position, giving it more clout globally and opportunites to save on costs.

Samsung could be feeling a bit threatened right now.

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-05 14:52
This IS VERY BIG NEWS!

Some things to consider.

1> Purchasing Motorola's phone division gives them access to their production line & other manufacturing facilities across the world. HUGE plus and with a little costs in revamping them - SE can produce HUGE amounts of W890i, K850i, upcoming P5i/P3i, and just about a few more products that they've been THINKING about but not committed to produce in short order.

2> How much debt would be assumed with this Moto Mobile Business purchase? This is the REAL hidden OUCH that could severely hurt SE's projected financial earnings for the next 2 QTR's or next year. But investors will accept this.

3> At the completion of a possible sale, would this cause SE to be bound for any Motorola Repairs? Motorola has some VERY complaining users - you lot for the P990 & K850i combined don't even compare. Now I doubt the RAZR2 or even the Q9h will warrant huge repairs as those are VERY solid built phones, but what of the other lower end phones?

4> Does this grant ownership of design warranties to SE? Not just the UI - which we ALL cannot stand - but ALSO of the UIQ3.1 Smartphone GUI used in the Motorola RIZR Z8 & Z10 ?! Also the Linux JUIX & the new Java on Linux platform currently used? Could SE perfect this or wish to use this in their OWN flavor? What of Motorola's contractual commitment to the Andriod Open Linux platform?

5> Does this possible sale grant SE to collect on contractual hardware sales yet paid for ?! Catching! But it also opens SE to those purchase orders for being non fulfilled. hmm.

So there are some Pros & Cons to consider for this purchase should SE go for it and Motorola selling it.

What is MORE of a concern is .... does this give SE a REPURCHASE of their 50% ownership of UIQ ?? Hmm. It if does does this give SE some very important programmers/GUI designers currently working at Motorola (that worked on the Z8/Z10 UIQ3.1 smartphone).
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
deepsme
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-02-12 13:10
Motorola CEO: we’re ‘fully committed’ to the cellphone business
here, have a puff
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-02-12 13:16
Yeah they say they're fully committed and exploring product-led routes back to health, but did anyone see their product announcement a few days ago? I actually felt sorry for them
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
C905
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-02-12 13:18

On 2008-02-04 15:22:13, BobaFett wrote:
16 m colour screen? others made it already since ages. 5.5 jack? also offered already. cybershot? just a name, means nothing, fone cams doesnt even match the low quality digi cams by sony. etc etc etc

se is alwasy missing the "wow" effect, made what it is, especially the "wow" effects, alwasy sg new and mostly first time...

but back to topic

now a days u have to look on the sales aswell and actually moto offers the usa and next to it many other countries all around the world.

seems its just a rumour actually, and moto merge, still couldnt find anything fresh about it. wondering, that the link u posted, why picked up such and old news and made it public with another date

what about touchscreens in nokia devices
Iknow there is one or two but still
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi