Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Ericsson to Buy Motorola Mobile Business?

Previous  123  Next
Author Ericsson to Buy Motorola Mobile Business?
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-02 23:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
That does not even sound good. Likelyhood that that will happen IMO <10%.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-02 23:36
probabaly yes. i rather think, that samsung or sy else buys se sooner or later...
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:08

On 2008-02-02 12:17:20, razec wrote:

what would be the name then if that happened

SErola? Moto Ericsson? SonyRola? SEMoto? MotoEicSony?

. . . at our end it would be best to name it: ariNOLA or kaSE-ROLA . . . [addsig]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:13
@Boba: i think you are underestimating Sony's tehnology and innovation i can't see any motorola devices capable of beating Sony's cameras, dedicated music players and so on. Ericsson has a great future with Sony, but with moto they would only have the dominance in US as well as the increase in the facilities, but i doubt it's innovations would be as good as when Sony and Ericsson collaborates excellently(which is imho not yet happening after it's early years)
10 years at Esato
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:20
the u.s. market is a huge market, so it will be a win for ( if there is anything true in this news ) sony might offer some fun features like wm or "cyber-shot", but we are here still talking about mobile fones, where certain knowledge etc is wanted and sony just dont have it.

anyway, should have made this step and get moto years ago, so IF there would be any cooperation, then i think maybe in the background, so hw or sg like that...

/// Ericsson Forum
MYB87
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:24
is it possible that Ericsson can be part of SE and Motorola at the same time?

i doubt it will ever happen but i am just wondering
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:27
@my - Yeah . . . there's a SAYING that: TREE-is-a-CLOUD . . . right [addsig]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:29
pls read the link i posted here before, the one who wrote was talking about the same quaestion, what if 1 co. has 2 interests... he sated, it wont be the first in the history... to be honest, i am happy when is busy, no matter in which form

/// Ericsson Forum
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:41

On 2008-02-02 23:21:14, BobaFett wrote:
check this article ( and especially the date of it )

http://www.moconews.net/entry[....]csson-looking-to-buy-motorola/

Exactly what I was thinking! And yeah, see what you mean about the date, May 07.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:44
also still a bit confused... i did the search, but most news according this & moto story are from end of april and start of may 2007. but the link in the first post is form the 1st of feb 2008.

/// Ericsson Forum
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:48
. . . does that mean that the NEWS we are receiving are OUTdated or not REAL-time [addsig]
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-03 00:52
Motorola have never had the software support, but they'd had the designers.

They've built lots of iconic phones over the years, from the MicroTAC to the StarTAC to the v3688 and then the V3.

They've all been products that people would buy, even if they had to give up functionality they already enjoyed with another existing product from Nokia or Ericsson/Sony Ericsson. Motorola has always understood the value of making something desirable. The StarTAC, or the limited edition MicroTAC II with gold lettering, were the first fashion phones with a hefty price tag that didn't reflect the actual build cost.

If they can find a company to work with that can fix the software/platform on the inside, Motorola can EASILY get back on its feet.

A lot of the problems are more serious than design/software. It's internal politics and problems getting designs into real products and into the hands of the consumer. They take far too long to get products to market, which is why they're always so far behind.

[ This Message was edited by: jmcomms on 2008-02-02 23:56 ]
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-03 01:01
Motorola said they would sell the devision with the brand name.
If Ericsson would buy it, then alot of patents would hopfully be transfered aswell. Ericsson would also get some additional knowhow to use in their mobile platforms.
Ericsson is also a sharholder of the symbian group, joining UIQ would be a normal thing to do.
Ericsson should then decided to go for Ericsson Motorola branded phones.
They could make phones aimed at a surtain market. Sharing info with SE it would be a cost saving action.
And with that action, all those phones working on the Ericsson mobile platform, it would make Ericsson earn the 2nd place in global marketshare.

But enough dreaming (sadly).

Some Asian company will buy it probably. Or maby Apple gets abit ambitius and goes for it.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-03 01:21
@BobaFett

I feel that your comment about 'Sony Just not having' the knowledge is rather unfair.

The 'WalkMan' and 'Cyber-shot' brands are not Fun - they add dimension to an otherwise bland product - its this Sony Tie in that has helped Sony Ericsson sales Surge.

Sony are a company that if left alone to produce their handsets - would do a cracking job - and may I remind all those who many think otherwise, Every Sony Ericsson phone (Other than the S700i, hence why its the ONLY Sony Ericsson phone for the non-Japanese Mkt. produced in Japan) has been developed and engineered by Ericsson - so everyone crying out for the Venture to end, needs to think again - Sony Ericsson Phones are Produced by Ericsson.

To now change the colour completely, The Japanese handsets tend to be designed and engineered primarily by Sony...how many times have we heard, 'Oh I'd love to get my hands on an S0905iCS or a W62s' - its everytime.

We need to realise that Sony Are not a company who like to be left behind - in fact they are at the forefront all the time - if they were primarily producing our Sony Ericsson phones too - all these issues would not be present (ie FW, build quality etc).

The Sony Ericsson venture has dropped the gauntlet, and with so much potential, anything other than forward motion is little more than a horrid bad dream.

Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-03 01:32
actaully i listen to music and make pix more cos of fun

as the thread starter, u think its fresh news or old? cos i think its just a half year old rumour, did the search, but all results point on it, that its an old story and already stated, that they have no interest for moto

/// Ericsson Forum
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi