Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Motorola may exit handset business.

Previous  123  Next
Author Motorola may exit handset business.
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-29 17:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-01-29 16:58:31, NightBlade wrote:

On 2008-01-29 16:02:28, DragonEye wrote:

On 2008-01-29 14:57:30, NightBlade wrote:
But motorola has even more market share than SE!

being profitable and marketshare don't always go hand in hand...

Yeah, but it's fairly proportional...

if you are maintaining marketshare probably.. but when you are losing marketshare it means you are not selling any new porducts...your marketshare is based on old legacy products that don't bring in any income...
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 04:25
Motorola would leave the non-smartphone market and focus where their business is good?
Motorola and Samsung steal Smartphone market from HTC?
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 16:23
Its that damn UI they stuck with all these years.A different UI in some of those models could have been another prospect altogether.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 19:27
things may change as im sure there bringing out a 8MP phone later this year so I read somewhere in the other topics

btw they do need to make something abit different instead of staying with the same boring design!

An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 21:38
I quite fancy the design of Motorola phones.Its the UI I've always hated.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
RudioX
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 22:32
Motorola to Exit Cellphone Manufacturing!

Motorola cellphone industryAccording to Nomura International’s Richard Windsor, Motorola may be leaving the handset industry to concentrate on being and enterprise and government company. Moto announced a $388 million operating loss last year. According to Windsor, the problem is non-hardware but the software and platform on which Motorola phones operate.

It’s also unlikely a Chinese outfit will buy out Motorola’s handset division as no one has an idea how to bring it up to the time when Moto RAZR ruled.
RoKeC
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-30 23:22
didn't SE wanted to buy Motorola last year or 2 years back?
i think there were some rummores.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-02-01 09:08
This is what extracted from Motorola homepage. The way they explaining didn't mean they want to exit...they are looking into ways like spin it off or maybe merge it with someone.... (moto samsung? moto LG? moto ???? just kidding since I donno what's the detail plan)

It is sad to see the pioneer of mobile phone business ends up this way but hey i guess this is the reality of mobile phone business....Ericsson gone thru it by ends up partner with Sony. Of course the shadow of the failure of Benq siemens still haunt us ...BUT in that case...siemens actually sold everything off and allow Benq to use the name Siemens which is totally different scenario compare to SE which suceed.

So I will say all the best to Moto....hope we still see the M logo around on mobile phone instead of just on cell station or walkie talkie.

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., – January 31, 2008 – Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today announced it is exploring the structural and strategic realignment of its businesses to better equip its Mobile Devices business to recapture global market leadership and to enhance shareholder value. The company’s alternatives may include the separation of Mobile Devices from its other businesses in order to permit each business to grow and better serve its customers.

“All of our businesses have exceptional people, products and intellectual property and the ability to achieve category leadership in their markets,” said Greg Brown, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We are exploring ways in which our Mobile Devices Business can accelerate its recovery and retain and attract talent while enabling our shareholders to realize the value of this great franchise.”

The company does not intend to discuss developments with respect to the exploration of strategic alternatives unless or until its Board of Directors has approved a definitive transaction or the process is otherwise complete. There can be no assurance that any transaction will occur or, if one is undertaken, its terms or timing.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-01 13:10
http://www.unwiredview.com/20[....]dumping-mobile-phone-division/
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
lhaizza
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-02 01:40
Motorola SE combination, this would be great
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-02 01:43
and moto combination would have been more interesting imo...
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
belialwafu
W700
PM
Posted: 2008-02-02 02:04
style of moto and function of cool! [addsig]
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-02-02 02:47

On 2008-01-30 21:38:56, HOBBS wrote:

the UI that you're referring to is called synergy. you do know that that platform is only used in 1 or 2 of their phones now don't you? obviously not. you should try the LJ platform - even many SE fans prefer it oiver A100/A200.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-02-02 09:57

On 2008-02-02 02:47:51, Brightspark wrote:

On 2008-01-30 21:38:56, HOBBS wrote:

the UI that you're referring to is called synergy. you do know that that platform is only used in 1 or 2 of their phones now don't you? obviously not. you should try the LJ platform - even many SE fans prefer it oiver A100/A200.

i felt bored of the LJ UI, i prefer S40 5th and A200 the most when it comes to User Experience
10 years at Esato
kenoby
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 13:22
How many ppl here really used Moto phone except V3?

Talking about GUI, ones I have used were powered with Linux and surprisingly good, stable and reliable, you could even find various blends of fw, one with better cam driver, one a bit overclocked, one stripped for more speed, etc... And all of them mostly done by Chinese people, with few respected exceptions, but also them building on existing Chinese versions. I have never liked Motorola, until I faced A1200. Then I discovered other Linux OS Motos and found so many good places and people with lots of experience in coding and programming.

I would be really sad if Moto goes down. They do produce good mobiles, but most are without personality. Here in China they did some good moves but now they're stagnating. Except they released V8, nothing much happened in past year. And first thought about Moto is a two way radio. Somewhat Police and Army
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi