Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K850 Dead Touch sensors

Author K850 Dead Touch sensors
lancer409
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 11:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have a K850, and after using it for a month (babying it) it has stopped working. Well, the touch sensors have stopped working. I have to take the battery out and put it back in, then turn on the phone if i want to make a outgoing call. that's because the keypad lock engages automatically. the three touch buttons do not work at all anymore, so i cant turn off keylock, enter the menu, use any of the applications, unlock the phone, etc etc..

has anyone run across this? any advice?

i am in the united states, and i was told sony has no servicing fascilities in the united states, that i would have to send it overseas (shipping + time = big burden)

i just put new firmare one, but the problem still exists. is there a way to use a solid button to take the place of the middle touch sensor??? *sigh*

it's been out of commission for around 2 months? what a pain..

Thank you!

Ps. My k750i never failed on me in it's 2.3 years of service.
dibdin
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 13:25
hello lancer409. just a few days ago the middle touch key on my K850 decided to not work at all. this is not the first time it happened as with my first K850 all three touch keys did not work.

but the problem i have had with my present K850 is that the middle touch key is going into the menu and then into messages and then trys to send a message all by itself before i the hang up key. have taken it to the carphone warehouse to be repaird and just got a call a few mins ago to say it's been repaired.

sure you will have no problem taking it back to where you got it from as you will be covered by the manufactures warranty.

the only with this problem is that it puts doubt in your mind as to if it will happen again in the future.
lancer409
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 16:51
yes, it's definately a worry that i have. what if i get it fixed and have to get it fixed AGAIN down the line.

is it a software, firmware, or hardware issue?

i contacted sony and the place where i got the phone, they both said it has to be sent to a overseas repair fascility, and i was told it may take a month or more.

considering i bought the phone and paid a premium (because it was new), used it for 1 month, used it for 2 months without touchkeys, and will have to ship it out (paying for shipping?), and wait another month or so, leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

i was hoping a software update would fix it (if it was a software glitch) but the problem is still there.

Is it user fixable at all? (dying to fix it so i can use it without having to ship it out and wait month or more...
kenoby
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 17:12
Nowdays you can find in many phones of all manufacturers some fault, it is just matter of luck, or in your case bad luck.
Mine dropped from 1.2 m and bounced around on the hard rock and is working fine without any problems.
dclawson
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-18 10:42
I recently had the same problems with my k850i, my only option was to send it back to o2 for repairs, hopefully get it back tomorrow.

Its a real pain, considering i have an 18 month contract i would expect the phone to be operational for the full 18 months which i cant see happening with the k850.
the-prince
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-18 20:16
i have the same problem, recently the 3 buttons would stop working when the phone was locked and i would have to take the battery out to get it to work again. then the other day i dropped it from a hight of no more then 50cm and now its completely busted, the centre touch screen keeps on pressing itself without me touching it, and also if i press the area between the 7 and 8 keys the centre touch button activates, strange. anyways i recently updated from 037 to 038 and i noticed that the original problem (3 buttons would stop working when the phone was locked) happened after the update, so im hoping that it is only a software issue, and thats why im waiting for this "magic" update that SE are suppose to release in 2 days time, if its still busted after that then i will have to send it back to o2!

phone: se k850i 038 branded on o2
lancer409
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-01-18 20:27
are they really releasing an update in two days time? ie. 1/20/2008?

I recently updated and still have the same problem, if the update fixes it, i'll wait until next week before i send the phone back to sony. *sigh* i have a 24 month contract... I am starting to wonder if this will be a reliable phone for that period.

Thanks for all of the replies...
matthewf01
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-19 02:21
if you bought it on a credit card you might have some sort of a purchase protection --- most cards do
spikejrt
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-19 12:17
I had a similar problem with mine so took it back to my local o2 shop where the guy serving me sighed in sympathy and sent it back for repair.

It also had dust under the camera lens and showing the beginnings of paint chipping off the fascia after a week or two of us...

I can't wait to get rid of the bloody thing, have gone back to my ever reliable k800i!
the-prince
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-25 19:44
ive just sent mine for repair too, hopefully it wont be too long till i get it back. the only good thing about the 850 is the camera, other then that its the worst phone i have ever had and unless SE do something about it quick then i will be switching brands.

ive had a SE phone since the t68i and they have always been very reliable and good phones, now however the 850 threatens to ruin SEs reputation.

what a shame, i think all that recent success has gone to SEs head and they need to come back to earth and build good reliable phones again!
sblantipodi
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-05 20:10
same prolem here,
no one know how to solve this issue??
Download FPC Bench a good benchmark/system info for your phone.
Download Pocket Inclinometer for your phone's accelerometer.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi