Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Tributes for Everest 'colossus'

12  Next
Author Tributes for Everest 'colossus'
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-01-11 14:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Tributes have been paid to Sir Edmund Hillary, who made the first ascent of the world's highest peak, Mount Everest, after he died aged 88.

New Zealand PM Helen Clark said a state funeral would be held for Sir Edmund, while Queen Elizabeth II said she was "very saddened" by his death.

Nepali Sherpas lit butter lamps and offered special Buddhist prayers in monasteries for his reincarnation.

Sir Edmund died of a heart attack at Auckland Hospital.

The first living New Zealander to appear on a banknote, his health had reportedly been failing since April, when he suffered a fall during a visit to Nepal.

S O U R C E
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-01-11 14:23
This story took over almost half of the television news hour here in New Zealand today. It is a very sad event to lose one of the most famous and respected New Zealanders.

R.I.P. Sir Edmund Hillary.

This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-01-11 14:29
but that's a nature's law. ones come others go.

RIP Edmund Hillary.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2008-01-11 15:27
Definately a great loss of a great man.

R.I.P
One Day, Men Will Look Back And Say I Gave Birth To The 20th Century.
You have to have a piss in the sea, its the law.
The A-Z of Trusted Traders
[img]http://a-zott.com/images/A-Z
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2008-01-12 04:17
May HE rest in PEACE ! He can EASILY access the PEAK of the Everest now . . . souls can GO everywhere . . . [addsig]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-13 02:32
Statue of Sir Ed in Orewa, NZ.

Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2008-01-13 02:43
@car - Nice statue ! Was that taken from your K618i mate [addsig]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-13 03:41
Yes, taken yesterday.

This is pretty much the only news in NZ since Friday. The funeral will take place in 9 days time and I'll take the day off work (as will the rest of Auckland) to attend. I'll post some pics too.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2008-01-13 04:42

On 2008-01-13 03:41:46, carkitter wrote:
I'll take the day off work

@car - OK . . . I thought you are enroute to Mt. Everest too

Nice shot ! [addsig]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-18 01:38
Arrangements for the state funeral will be finalised shortly. The funeral is on Tuesday and will commence approx 10am (NZ time). It will be broadcast on Radio NZ and TVNZ's Channel One. Both stations will also broadcast the event on thier websites. Large TV screens will be erected in Wellington and Christchurch for the public and a screen also at the Auckland Domain where the funeral procession will pass through after the service.

RadioNZ website

TVNZ website
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-26 05:13
I've had a very busy week and haven't managed to visit Esato much to update on my last comment.

I took the Tuesday off work and went into town to see the State Funeral.
The arrangements were that the funeral would take place at the Auckland Cathedral of the Holy Trinity in Parnell -

- and afterwards the hearse would drive thru the Auckland Domain for the public to pay their respects, through Newmarket, Remuera and on to the Purewa Cemetery in St Johns for a private cremation service. Sir Edmund Hillary's ashes are expected to be scattered over Auckland's Waitemata Harbour as was his stated wish.

I had intended to go up to the Domain and watch the service on the big screen there, get some pictures of the crowd, some pictures of the procession travelling through the Domain and that's it. Didn't quite happen that way...

I travelled by bike as Auckland traffic and parking is bad at the best of times and with road closures and crowds of people there'd be no point taking the car. I caught the Devonport ferry across to Britomart and biked up to Parnell on the off-chance I might be able to see something going on.

TV camera positioned on a crane, providing crucial shots for TV coverage.

While waiting, a Security Guard came over and explained that there were some empty seats in the cathedral (in a separate part to the main hall) and would we like to come in and watch on the big screen inside?
They didn't need to ask me twice! We were handed an official invitation and filed inside.

Inside the Cathedral during the service.

The service was outstanding. Tributes flowed from Prime Minister Helen Clark; son Peter Hillary, daughter Sarah, grandson Sam Mulgrew; Sherpas Ang Rita Tshering and Norbu Tensing Norgay (the latter being the son of the Sherpa who climbed Everest with Hillary); and friends Jim Wilson and the Reverend Peter Beck. Musical tributes included 'Sarabande' from Suite in C by Bach played on Viola and Handel's "Where 'ere you walk" was sung.

The service was quite moving and one felt the gravity of the loss of this one man to New Zealand, Tibet, India and the world at large. The speeches gave me a sense of understanding who Sir Ed was and how he had changed so many people’s lives. I was born 18 years after Everest and too late to know of his expeditions to the North and South Poles, this experiments into Low Oxygen environments or his fundraising for and building of schools and hospitals and even an airstrip all in Tibet. When in my teens Sir Ed was posted to India as High Commissioner - personally chosen by Prime Minister David Lange no less - and was out of the news for quite some time.

But this is what Sir Ed was about; a lot of his work was out of the sight of the TV cameras and journalists, helping the sherpas secure a living out of the Everest industry that followed his ascent, helping them gain an education and wiping out poverty for a whole generation. Everyone he met became his friend and was affected by him, challenged to do something extraordinary and that is the lesson that remains with us: that ordinary people CAN accomplish extraordinary things.

It was inappropriate for me to take photos as the pall bearers passed by outside the cathedral and so I didn't but it was amazing to see this part at least live instead of on the big screen. Children from Sir Edmund Hillary School performed a specially-composed haka as the casket was loaded into the hearse which drove slowly through the streets of Auckland.

And then it was over. I took a better picture of the Cathedral where I sat but was unable to get near the main hall.

Interior of the Cathedral after the service.

I kept a copy of the official Order of Service which I will treasure always. I count myself fortunate to have been able to attend such a significant occasion. But then taking opportunities was what Sir Ed was all about.

Official Invitation - Sort of like a 'Willy Wonka Golden Ticket' in my view

Official Order of Service - different to that handed out outside the cathedral

Sir Ed - A life in Pictures

NZ Herald Article: Sir Edmunds widow 'blown away' by response to funeral with pictures, video, audio.

Rest In Peace Sir Edmund Percival Hillary, Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter; Member of the Order of New Zealand; Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, upon whom has been conferred the Polar Medal; Member of the first class of the Most Puissant Order of the Gurkha Right Arm of the Kingdom of Nepal; recipient of the Everest Medal in Gold of the Republic of India; Commander of the Order of Sports Merit of the Republic of France; Doctor of Laws Honoris Causa, of the University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada and of Victoria University of Wellington; Honorary Doctor of the University of Waikato; mountaineer, explorer, benefactor, New Zealander.

"Innovation in styling comes from innovation in packaging" - Gordon Murray

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-08-17 00:27 ]
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-01-26 05:39
Good stuff, carkitter

I live in Christchurch and had jury duty that day and so I missed out, but I did walk through the central city and the square and surrounding roads were closed off due to the huge number of people who were expected to turn up to watch the ceremony on a big screen.

It sounds like you were very lucky! In the right place at the right time definitely!

Thanks mate.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
Twometre
Z710 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-26 11:34
Such people, actually good people dont deservr to die.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-28 09:03
India honours Sir Edmund
8:00AM Monday January 28, 2008

Sir Edmund Hillary has posthumously been awarded one of India's highest awards as part of the country's Republic Day celebrations.

The Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honour, is awarded to recognise exceptional service to the nation in any field.

It consists of a medal and a citation and is awarded by Indian President Pratibha Devisingh Patil.

source
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2008-01-28 23:23
off topic(ish)

Sir.....

Didn't know members of the Commonwealth could get titles.. or did he renounce his NZ citizenship and become a Brit?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi