Forum > General discussions > General > Megapixel myth busted

123  Next
Author Megapixel myth busted
CookiCrumble
W660 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 00:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The folk at www.6mpixel.org have come out with a pretty coherent argument against buying any camera over 6 megapixel. The reason? More megapixels don’t necessarily mean better image quality.you can read the full article here: http://6mpixel.org/en/?

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-02 00:28
i always made my pix even with digi cam in2 mp format, made maybe 5 times in 3 mp, over it its really not a must imo either
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 01:22
I always use 2Mp in my camera when taking pics, 3mp if i wanted more details - i never use resolution higher than that.
10 years at Esato
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 02:53
the figure is more like 3MP (ie there is no need to have anything above that unless you're a pro photographer).
hanugro
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 03:12
Well, I think the limit is on the size of each pixel in photosensor. The smaller it is (due to bigger mp but same size sensor) will be noisier.

MP need depend on how big you want to enlarge your picture. I say for 4x6" (4R) 1.3mp is just adequate but 2mp is preferable. 3mp can goes up to around 8R if you are not critical. I only satisfied with my 6mp dSLR for 8R and never print larger than 4R from my camera phone. This is from my personal experience.

There is no doubt that there is need for 40mp+ but it should be taken with medium format with the photosensor size bigger than your average phone LCD.

I hope SE concentrate more on other aspect of pictures and stop at 5mp. Would rather they improve on noise, dynamic range, stronger flash, optical zoom, etc.
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 03:37

On 2008-01-02 03:12:36, hanugro wrote:

I hope SE concentrate more on other aspect of pictures and stop at 5mp. Would rather they improve on noise, dynamic range, stronger flash, optical zoom, etc.

i very much doubt that any of the brands will do that. it makes sense for them to focus more on increasing the number of megapixels whilst keeping a similar quality. afterall, the number of megapixels is quantifiable(obviously) whereas quality isn't. it's also far cheaper for them to increase the number of megapixels than it is to increase the quality significantly, and they can reap better sales as a result. it's a win-win situation for the brands. like i say, the number of megapixles is quantifiable, and numbers/quantities sell because they are concrete concepts that Average Joe can more easily understand when comparing various models.
if Average Joe goes down to the local mobile phone shop to buy a phone, which of the following is likely to get the sale, and which one of them is going to be easier for the salesperson to sell:
1) phone costing £245 with 12MP camera, bluetooth, CIF video, etc, but the camera is only of average quality (the salesperson merely needs to say "its good quality" because "good" can mean anything and he won't be lying)
2) phone costing £220 with 3MP camera, bluetooth, CIF video, etc, but the camera is of superb quality

?

[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2008-01-02 02:43 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 03:43

On 2008-01-02 02:53:07, Brightspark wrote:
the figure is more like 3MP (ie there is no need to have anything above that unless you're a pro photographer).

indeed, DSLRs are the only cameras to be benefited with high pixel count. no wonder when we talk about camphones K850 has noisier image output than K800 although the former has a slightly larger sensor
10 years at Esato
hanugro
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 04:51
I think ppl will learn. When they try their new bigger mp cameraphone that turn out to produce more noise than their old smaller mp one. Now I hear less and less ppl asking when SE will make 7mp or 12mp camera phone. Guess more website (like the one in first post) will make ppl more aware of how digital/photosensor work.

Nikon's just release top of the line FF dSLR (photosensor size about half the size of K800 LCD) just 14mp. Canon's top of the line is around 18mp (it is due update this year so it is interesting to see whether they up the resolution again). Also Sony's own top of the line dSLR (inhereted from Minolta) is due release later this year (rumours say it is either 14, 16-18, 24mp)

I hope Sony's as co owner of SE (as opposed to Nokia which never produce camera) knows better. If I want to print a poster I would use dSLR. Just give me a decent 3-5mp that is usable (less noise) for indoor/shade then I will be happy.

[ This Message was edited by: hanugro on 2008-01-02 03:59 ]
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 09:16
Two years ago David Pogue at New York Times posted about this topic on his blog: The Truth About Digital Cameras.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-02 09:26
Preuming it's a high quality sensor then the bigger it is the more detail on the picture. Afterall why would hasselblad have a 39MP sensor? Their lenses (large format) need a large hi MP sensor in order to achiever the same result as film.

But for a digicam that will only ever print out 8x10 pics, then 6MP is way and enough. If that is your limit (8x10 or maybe A3), then you are better off with higher quality sensor rather than more MP's, to capture better colours, less noise etc.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-02 10:38
I've been saying this since 2MP camera phones hit the market, and just like they've said as well, more megapixels doesn't equal better quality. And the same thing will continue to happen down the line.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 10:50
I agree.

I would like to see the quality improved in the current 3.2 - 5.0MP cams that are on offer. People will eventually see through this ridiculous race to see who can build that 1st 20.0MP cam phone.
jmbillings
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-02 10:55
I agree- i've been pointing this out in posts for a year or so now as well.
The problem is that the average Joe in the street doesn't (and doesn't want to) bother learning about any of the technology they buy. It's a markting exec's wet dream out there when msot people think more pixels=better. Nothing will change
Download free SE mobile themes from my site!
Free Sony Ericsson Themes!
Twometre
Z710 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-02 11:20
What I can say is that this may depend on the form factor or the company manufacturing the cameras and the lenses I have always taken good pictures with my motorola v360. Tha is one of the reasons why I wouldnt get rid of it anytime soon.

The only difference I have observed which is a huge disadvantage is the size and the zooming of the picture. Take for instance if you use digital zoom, at most the picture quality is distorte andf that is why I only zoom once or dont zoom at all.
bambarah
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 11:35
We need bigger Image Sensors , not more MegaPixles
for example , I heard that next generation of the K850i would have 1/2.5" sensor , because when the sensor becoms bigger , the picture would be more detailed
and also the lens width is another factor
More MPs means larger printouts and larger monitor review
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi