Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Why flip should still be implemented in at least 1 UIQ3.x platform

Author Why flip should still be implemented in at least 1 UIQ3.x platform
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-01-04 13:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I thought ares had made it quite clear the next gen P phones WILL have a flip am I to take it this is not so?

Personaly I have owned all the P series phones and have to say what I miss most are the functions offered by the controls mounted on the flip, rather than pysical presence of the flip it self. I found the P990 very fast to use one handed, but I am now getting used to the P1 and like it very much, but it could certainly be better.

IMHO the incorporation of the directional pad and rocker function switches of the P990 and the 5 Way Jog Dial of the P900 would make my P1 perfect, it may well increase the size of the unit a little but with the media rich features we demand from personal devices today I see a trend towards larger units anyway (Certainly until we have projection screens and keyboards as standard!)

One option that may be worth exploring would be a "slide out" display, in normal use (Read flip closed) the display would reside in the handset partialy exposed, but when a larger screen is desired it could slide up out of the top of the unit, it would not be difficult to design a way to rotate and lock of the the screen in Lanscape mode.

This style of device would ensure the structural rigidity of the handset yet offer the option of a larger screen when required.

[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2008-01-04 12:04 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-04 13:49
well,
Ares was talking about the flip many months ago,
since then everything has changed and nothing's for sure,
it was more like a rumour.
Nobody knows the real design now.
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-01-04 13:51
I like this thread
It became a good discussion about P series
Forever !!!
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-04 16:08

On 2008-01-04 08:52:26, defiantbeast wrote:
@mode
Actually yes. The blackberry pearl requires a thumb to navigate thru. However it has other problems thus why i choose the p1i. I agree completely that the dpad would be an added addition to the future p series however i dont see a future for flip. Sorry. Hey maybe SE will add a little mouse ball to replace the jog wheel thus giving the functionality of the dpad with added flexibility. Whishful thinking more food for thought.

I am aware that there are pdaphones out there that have navigation buttons, but can you really dial numbers with your thumb with as much ease as with the Pxx0 series. Don't kid ourselves here. This aside, yes, if they're gonna take away the flip, they should have the courtesy to replace its convenience with some other form of solution, a.k.a the surprise I'm waiting for and no doubt many other SE fans out there as well. IMHO, while the P1 keyboard is an excellent solution to have a highly useable qwerty board in a narrow design, its still not universal enough for me and not a real solution/sellable feature such as the flip or onboard GPS (a bit off topic I know, but shaking your phone to skip tracks and parade this feature as groundbreaking is just lame). Of course this is just my opinion

[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2008-01-04 15:32 ]
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-01-04 18:04
@Nitro Fan, your idea is very interesting and is somewhat close to what I've been thinking.
How about a device with dual screen, one large slide-out type and the other a small info screen. The large screen and the keyboard could slide in-out similar to the Tytn II.
A point that some people are missing is that the flip allows the control mechanism to be changed. If you try to cram everything into a single surface such as the P1, it's not going to help too much as far as ergonomics is concerned.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-01-04 19:23

On 2008-01-04 16:08:21, mode wrote:

On 2008-01-04 08:52:26, defiantbeast wrote:
@mode
Actually yes. The blackberry pearl requires a thumb to navigate thru. However it has other problems thus why i choose the p1i. I agree completely that the dpad would be an added addition to the future p series however i dont see a future for flip. Sorry. Hey maybe SE will add a little mouse ball to replace the jog wheel thus giving the functionality of the dpad with added flexibility. Whishful thinking more food for thought.

I am aware that there are pdaphones out there that have navigation buttons, but can you really dial numbers with your thumb with as much ease as with the Pxx0 series. Don't kid ourselves here. This aside, yes, if they're gonna take away the flip, they should have the courtesy to replace its convenience with some other form of solution, a.k.a the surprise I'm waiting for and no doubt many other SE fans out there as well. IMHO, while the P1 keyboard is an excellent solution to have a highly useable qwerty board in a narrow design, its still not universal enough for me and not a real solution/sellable feature such as the flip or onboard GPS (a bit off topic I know, but shaking your phone to skip tracks and parade this feature as groundbreaking is just lame). Of course this is just my opinion

[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2008-01-04 15:32 ]

I totaly agree I also own a W910i the shake thing is a pure gimmick you have to hold down a button whilst shaking it! It's quicker to just press the next track button!
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 00:13
@mode
I just dont see how much easier the keypad was to dial im sorry, but the point is moot i guess, agree to disagree. I myself am not a fan of dpads i would much rather see a navi-ball which was the reason i migrated to the pearl, i would also favor some type of sliding design or perhaps something similar to the lg voyager. I do know this it has to be something streamline that can be placed in the pocket of your pants, shirt, purse. Theres just no room for bulk in this day an age. A bulky device will equal less sales
Peio
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 03:08
I really don't see why we need a D-pad.. I can use my P1 perfectly with one-hand, one finger on the joypad and my thumb on the screen.

I just hope a bigger screen for the future, and a slider with the same keyboard
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 10:05
@Peio
Well, thumb on screen is fine,
but it's not CONVENIENT solution for all users, until the whole UI is prepared to that. It wouldn't be great for me to be PUSHED to use it this way.
So we talk about generally convenient solutions, not habits.
aqualung
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 10:23
@peio where's the 'joypad' on the P1 ?

It is not always easy to use the P1 with one hand. I switched from a P990 to a P1 so I should know.

Moving between roaming the TS and it's backbutton with the thumb, pressing the three softkeys and using the back-key and other buttons on the side of the phone necessitates shifting the phone around in the hand slightly. Something I'm now used to, but if I pick up my P990 to do the same things it is easier with the latter and it's flip.

And I agree with doministry, the current UI is not perfect for thumb / finger use. Too many small icons too close to each other (look at the music player for example).
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 11:16
@aqualung,
Right. Now UI it's stylus oriented (fine for me).
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 13:08

On 2008-01-05 10:05:19, doministry wrote:
@Peio
Well, thumb on screen is fine,
but it's not CONVENIENT solution for all users, until the whole UI is prepared to that. It wouldn't be great for me to be PUSHED to use it this way.
So we talk about generally convenient solutions, not habits.

..er. I think "generally convenient solution for some users" could be the definition of "habit".

I mean - automatically disabling the touch- screen, and generally having operation like on a jp- phone, as well as having a hard key- lock, and so on - it's no doubt useful in some cases. And it wouldn't have hurt to have a bigger scroll- wheel on the p1. And at least the lock and maybe the jog- wheel (with a back- button when tilting it?) could've made the p1 feel a bit more expensive.

But I'd much rather just have a more mappable key- system for play/pause, back/forward and other common in- program functions, and so on. For example on either keyboard, or stylus- gestures. Say, like a global key- lock when typing a cross outside a text- box? Or being able to bind a key to a function in a specific program, and so on.

Simply because the number of times I really need to use the phone with one hand, while doing something else, and bumping into things so the touch- screen is pushed when it shouldn't, and I really feel like going through the thousand click torture on the lists - those aren't really all that many..

And, I mean, when you can scrolll down the contact list by clicking down and holding towards the end of the screen - what's the point with a jog- dial or a d-pad anyway? I mean - are there really any practical things that are easier with the flip on? Any actual examples?
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 14:18
Examples...ok, how easy is it on P1 etc to access system Status then??

P990FC = (Lock switch)MORE, STATUS

Same goes(personally) for CONNECTIONS(I use BT as much, if not more than WLAN), and ACCEPT CALLS...when I tested P1, back in august, it required me, TOO often, to have to use the stylus, which makes a supposed simple task like these mentioned, into a time consuming one(unlock phone, get stylus, do task, replace stylus, etc..)......

If you wonder why I keep quoting Lock switch, my phone is locked 99% of the time(well, wouldn't yours be if you had a sprung lock switch(and I've loved them since my S700)??)...which is where the advantageous active cam lens cover comes in...but that's going OT......

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 15:50
@Nipsen
Well, no, habit is not the same thing as a designers principle, so "convenient solution" is that, for instance computer keyboard.
And in Flip mode, Dpad for menu navigation is the best, of course touch screen is perfect but it's two hand operation.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 15:54
Yeah, getting to the connections is a pain on the p1. Gdesk can help, but there are at least a couple of small checkboxes you need to get through(same with the arrow in the corner).

So a function for just switching bluetooth/wlan on and off (one click somewhere) would be nice, either way.

A hard lock.. never had that on any phone, so can't really say how useful it would be. And kind of think the automatic lock works fine. Maybe a spring- button could work for a combination of some sort?

But I think the real problem might be lack of easily reachable functions (the common functions between all programs). And the same for the functions inside program control (imagine a shortcut api all programs could implement, for example..).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi