Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i (or other smartphone) or TyTN II?

Previous  123  Next
Author P1i (or other smartphone) or TyTN II?
lovewalrus
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-29 19:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Don't forget all WM6 devices come with Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, IE, MSN Messenger (courtesy of Windows Live) and an auto update service as standard-no more pluggin into a PC to check if your firmware is upto date, as it does it for you!

This message was posted from a K850i
andrewkeith5
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-29 19:40
" wm6 excels in customisation but sucks as an interface.

The way u manage data connections just shows it all. "

first off - the interface is a personal thing, and i prefer windows way of doing things (always did, and unlikely to change very soon)

and what do you mean by data connections - in my m600i to manage connections i either have to go to the stupidly tiny icon at the top and select connections > connections manager, or go through half a million menu items. In all HTC devices you either have a dedicated key or can set a key to go directly to the comms manager, which will take you to all the settings

and it would be impossible for me to test the p1i because no shop is willing to show me one (takes too long to setup apparently) and i can't afford either SIM free.

at the moment I'm happy with £90 for the TyTN II in Vario III form on flext 20, so price isnt really in the question
Mobile working solution:
Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue 6920G + DVB-T ExpressCard + Merlin XU870 + 3 5GB/mo Mobile Broadband
HTC TyTN II + T-Mo Flext 25 W'n'W
Nokia 5300 + T-Mo Everyone PAYG
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-29 20:04
The testing thing is my complaint.
I'm angry at the fact you have no place to test it for like 1 whole day.
Mobile sites offer good but general testing, all comes out after some time.
That's why I would not jump so quickly in a new world without experience.
BTW, it's also a matter of experience and usage - since I work a lot on a device, I have no time/energy to adapt myself to a new world
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-29 20:15
Just like India , they dont allow you to test phones , anyay I got mine sim free from SIngapore, paid quite a packet for it, close to 400 pounds. Dont regret it one bit, every day I learn something new.

@common
Regarding connections, its very simple, I have everything on the today screen, 1 touch enables bluetooth, another wifi, and another the comm manager, simple as that, no other phone I've owned has been this simple, but its pointless we can go on like this, lol. Each to his own .

@andrew
and one more thing, the music quality is mind blowing...with a pair on Motorola S9 and a free music player called MortPlayer its like I'm in another world totally, no SE phone comes close to this.

The main drawbacks are:
1. No 3D support for video playback, but Coreplayer have assured us that they'll solve the problem with Coreplayer Version 1.2 in Jan
2. The USB slot is a mess, quite a few people have inserted their stylus into the USB port and broken it, so you've got to be a bit careful, would'nt be too concerned though, if you're a little careful you should be fine.
3. GPS lock takes a few mins, especially with MapKing but since you're in the UK TomTom should be fine as far as I heard.
4. Pretty crappy earphones included, get a good pair of bluetooth earphones, either the S9 or the SE bluetooth ones.
5. A personal gripeis that I cant format the mem card from the phone but sw is available for that.

From your posts I gather you're buying the TyTyn2, enjoy your'e new phone, just mentioned the draw bracks to give you the overall scene, dont want you to buy something and then go like "Maaaan! if I new this I would'nt have bought it "
andrewkeith5
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-29 20:21

On 2007-12-29 20:15:28, aksd wrote:
Just like India , they dont allow you to test phones , anyay I got mine sim free from SIngapore, paid quite a packet for it, close to 400 pounds. Dont regret it one bit, every day I learn something new.

@common
Regarding connections, its very simple, I have everything on the today screen, 1 touch enables bluetooth, another wifi, and another the comm manager, simple as that, no other phone I've owned has been this simple, but its pointless we can go on like this, lol. Each to his own .

@andrew
and one more thing, the music quality is mind blowing...with a pair on Motorola S9 and a free music player called MortPlayer its like I'm in another world totally, no SE phone comes close to this.

The main drawbacks are:
1. No 3D support for video playback, but Coreplayer have assured us that they'll solve the problem with Coreplayer Version 1.2 in Jan
2. The USB slot is a mess, quite a few people have inserted their stylus into the USB port and broken it, so you've got to be a bit careful, would'nt be too concerned though, if you're a little careful you should be fine.
3. GPS lock takes a few mins, especially with MapKing but since you're in the UK TomTom should be fine as far as I heard.
4. Pretty crappy earphones included, get a good pair of bluetooth earphones, either the S9 or the SE bluetooth ones.
5. A personal gripeis that I cant format the mem card from the phone but sw is available for that.

From your posts I gather you're buying the TyTyn2, enjoy your'e new phone, just mentioned the draw bracks to give you the overall scene, dont want you to buy something and then go like "Maaaan! if I new this I would'nt have bought it "

thanks for that i shall bear those in mind

out of interest, how easy are the bluetooth headphones to use? i was thinking about getting a jabra bt320 and using them with my sennheiser mx90vcs
Mobile working solution:
Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue 6920G + DVB-T ExpressCard + Merlin XU870 + 3 5GB/mo Mobile Broadband
HTC TyTN II + T-Mo Flext 25 W'n'W
Nokia 5300 + T-Mo Everyone PAYG
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-29 20:29
With a few free apps, they're really easy to use(keep a bluetooth short cut on your today screen), first you pair them, turn on bluetooth on the phone and then turn on your earphones, and you're good to go .(hope that answered your question), Earlier I found BT a pain in the a*** to use, but after a while I quite like it because of the absence of wires, maes moving around a lot less clumsy getting tangled up in the wires etc..(I'm a clumsy person by nature lol)

You need any detailed clarifications you can visit www.xda-developers.com which is a HTC developer forum.
drgopoos
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-30 05:26
i am in the same boat now. I have the option of getting P1i, Tytn and iphone. Really confused now as i have to buy one . I have tried the 3 handsets and each of them satisfy few of my needs...but i have not used them for a long time..

P1i... good interface and multitasking
tytn... good hardware and multi tasking
iphone... i was drooling over the interface and the stability.. but missing a lot of features and no multi tasking

i am regularly using tytn now... amazing phone but WM6 disappoints a lot especially with me opening so many programs at the same time...
I got E90 but sent it back.. utter disappointment
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-30 08:02
We'll I'd choose between the iPhone and the TyTyn2, the P1i has dated specs.

Regarding stability, I've had the TyTYn2 for 2 months without a single restart. Multi Tasking is superb, but with many apps that have been released to the public that are still incomplete and in beta, some of them might hang the phone for a few seconds, but the phone recovers beautifully without a restart, being a WM6 user I'm sure you know that already. I've run about 20 apps simultaneously with about 30MB free RM remainng and not much of a menu lag, so multi tasking is perfect .

The iPhone is really beautiful, I was temepted to buy this instead of the kaiser, at the time I purchased the Kaiser the iPhone was about 200 pounds(grey market), which is far to expensive for a phone of its specifications, could'nt justify it.

If you need 3G/HSDPA/HSUPA a 3.2 Mpx camera and the keyboard, people say its crap, but I guess thats really dependant on the photographer, I get some decent day light pics with the TyTyn2 better than what I used to get with my K790 where colour reproduction and sharpness is concerend, but low light pics are terrible since there is'nt even an LED. Another advantage of te TyTYn2 is its going to be one of the first models to be able to upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.1.

Like I said earlier if possible you need to try them out, to see which would suit you more. You definately cant go wrong with any of the three phones.

doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-30 13:15
Yeah but don't try to compare P1 and TyTn II to iPhone,
it's not a smartphone like the other two,
it lacks BASIC features besides amazing UI,
and Software-wise TyTn seems to be the most advanced (HSDPA, Gps)
I'm still curious if TyTn browser supports Flash?
If I'd personally had this problem, I'd choose P1. Maybe because UIQ is familiar to me.
liaoip
Xperia Play Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-01 02:13
Hello,

Well, I made a similar thread previously and you can read it here.

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=157059#post2138886

I've actually have the P1i and my friend has the Tytn II and so I have extensive experience with both. Overall I like the P1i better even though you could argue that the Tytn II probably has a better feature set overall. If you will read my critique of the Tytn II(AT&T Tilt) and the problems I found compared to the P1i, you'll see why I like the P1i better. Even my friend is thinking of selling the Tilt. I even streamlined his Tytn II by uploading cooked firmware but there were still issues. Some things though, come down to personal preference (size, speakerphone quality, operating system, etc).

I think of the Tytn II as more of a Jauggernaut but truthfully I hate WM6. As a professional reviewer has stated...taking a windows type os and sticking it in a smartphone doesn't work well. UIQ (with all it faults) is a pretty streamlined and simple system and I like it better since I can usually get anywhere in less than 3 key presses and I can use my thumb without using the stylus. The DEFAULT AT&T Tilt config sucks and it's hard to get anywhere, though this problem is probably alleviated if you use the HTC Home plug in which has a MUCH MUCH better interface. Well read my review and all these other comments and decide for yourself. Better yet, go the an AT&T store and just play with one.

Peace
Foxhunter
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-01-07 17:34
Hmm beeing a former P900 owner that have jumped the many lightyears to the Tytn 2 I was also in the situation where I had to choose. Should it be P1i or should it be the Tytn2.

If I was honest to myself it came down to two things: Whould I prefer to have the GPS inside or outside the device?
Would I be willing to pay the extra 100£ for the Tytn 2

Looking at the specs you must agree that the Tytn 2 is above the P1i in every step?

Ok it weighs more than the P1i - but comeing from the P900 it's only about 40 g more - or is it 30g...

About the GPS I know that I wouldn't get the same enjoyment if it was not build in... If I knew I would come in a situation where I couldn't find the way then yes it could be as a second device.

But I don't know all the time if I'm getting lost or I'm in another car but now with the Tytn 2 that's no problem - and there's by the way always power on the GPS reciever
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-08 02:56
i've often been tempted to try WM but every time i come close to purchasing one, i come across feedback which just makes me think it's not worth it, especially when a WM device can cost more than double a UIQ one! (e.g., P1 vs TyTN II, at least in my market)

an example is an excerpt below from a PDA website. i would really appreciate feedback from WM users on whether these issues are common. it seems to me that WM devices really are superior PDA's when they're working properly, but the telecom side leaves much to be desired, which is why i continue to maintain a UIQ phone and a standalone PDA.

my big apprehension always boils down to spending a considerable amount more for a device which ends up having very basic telephony issues, which i think is unforgivable. having said that, i sincerely welcome the chance to be proven wrong by WM users.

anyway, excerpt below:

"Everything works on the TyTN, apart from very poor video playback (apparently due to some problem with video drivers), a delay every time I open the keyboard (no one quite knows why this happens at the moment), having to turn the phone off and back on after a phone call to get it working again (someone did release a small third party fix for this though which helps) and some other smaller inconveniences which can start to annoy after a while. For a top of the range device, the overall performance is marred somewhat by these small issues that should have been solved long ago. Millions of dollars are spent on design, manufacturing and marketing but once released the investment appears to stop completely."

http://clieuk.co.uk/
Foxhunter
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-01-08 09:14
The Tytn and the Tytn 2 are two different phones and I don't see these problems on my Tytn 2...

Ofcourse there will always be the issue that the more things you put into one device the more things can go wrong...

But all in all if you read about the Tytn 2 it's just one He.. of a phone that basically blows every other product away...
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-01-08 10:13

On 2008-01-08 02:56:24, senninha wrote:
"Everything works on the TyTN, apart from very poor video playback (apparently due to some problem with video drivers),

The video "problem" amounts to the video being slightly choppier than some phones - I don't really notice it on the internet streams I've used from time to time - if you really watched a lot of feature films on it, it might start to bug you, but there are signs that HTC are working on a driver fix to sort it out anyway - and Coreplayer claim to have cured it in their next release too.

You've got to remember that this is first release firmware; it's better than any first release UIQ phone I've had. A upgrade to the brand new WM6.1 is in the pipeline already.

a delay every time I open the keyboard (no one quite knows why this happens at the moment),

This is gross exagerration - there's momentary delay while the interface re-orients itself, but to imply this is a "problem" or that anyone would even be looking into "why this happens" is ridiculous.

having to turn the phone off and back on after a phone call to get it working again (someone did release a small third party fix for this though which helps)

I know what they're getting at here, but typically they've managed to make it sound far worse than it actually is. What this actually amounts to is a bug (probably the only real bug I can think of) affecting the code lock function of the phone (akin to the "phone lock" on UIQ phones). If you have a code set, the screen becomes kind of semi-locked after a phone call. When the reviewers says you have to "turn the phone off and back on" what he actually means is that a quick double press of the standby button (where the phone doesn't actually go off at all, but just in and out of standby) cures it. You can also simply not set a code, or use the software fix he mentions. It's an annoying bug for those it affects, and it shouldn't be there, but I've no doubt HTC will fix it properly in due course; in the meantime, the workaround(s) are very simple.
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-09 02:33
thanks Boinng, very helpful
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi