Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i (or other smartphone) or TyTN II?

123  Next
Author P1i (or other smartphone) or TyTN II?
andrewkeith5
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-28 10:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Currently I have an SE M600i, which I like but just doesn't cut it anymore - WAY too slow, an unbelievably tiny amount of customisation available, a terrible selection of programs for a "smartphone", and those that are remotely good are stupidly expensive

So...how much of an improvement is the P1 or whatever the next phone will be

Things erring me to the side of the TyTN II:
- HSDPA
- Bigger Touchscreen
- Windows Mobile (more software, lower prices, and much bigger user group (see modaco.com, coolsmartphone.com)
- GPS (though not essential)
- Faster processor
- Generally easier interface
- Much more customisable and a damn sight easier to change components when you want to/if you need to
- Endless expansion capabilities
- A NORMAL memory card (MicroSD, 8GB for £40) unlike stupid memory sticks
- Keyboard (not a very good argument, but hey)

So based on the fact that I wont have to make a decision until early february, and that I'll probably be using it for internet with my laptop at uni in september, do I go with the TyTN II (or in the more probably case, Vario III) or a Sony Ericsson (p1i or otherwise).
Mobile working solution:
Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue 6920G + DVB-T ExpressCard + Merlin XU870 + 3 5GB/mo Mobile Broadband
HTC TyTN II + T-Mo Flext 25 W'n'W
Nokia 5300 + T-Mo Everyone PAYG
c0mm0n
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-28 13:04
- Generally easier interface

Must be joking, wm6 is an awful interface, worst on the smartphone scene.
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-28 13:07
Thats a joke, I find WM to be fabulous after using UIQ on the M600i, S60 on the N73 and EZX on the E6, the TyTyn2 has by far been the best phone I've ever used, although I might wait for the Touch Cruise if the Keyboard is not a must as its more compact.

c0mm0n
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-28 13:56
Even MS recognizes wm6 interface is very poor.

I'm at your very opposite, had the Kaiser or 10 days, nice hardware, crappy software. Was happy to go back to p990 (which i never thought i'd ever be), and now using iPhone.
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-12-28 14:03
basically, it all depends on what you really need mate, i have previously had a P1i and got the TYTN II after, both are great devices, if i have to say, TYTN II is better overall than P1i, but now i got my P1i back, because simply the P1i is more compact where all my needs met, the TYTN II is simply a powerful device though, but little i have to say about it's video capability
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-28 14:28
I went from the M600i to the Tytn II, and I'm glad I did. WM6 is different to UIQ3, but mostly in good ways - it's a much more open and customisable OS, that HTC have customised nicely for the Tytn II, and which can be tinkered with even more to suit your own needs. On the Tytn II it actually shares many UIQ-like conventions, such as the scroll wheel and "back"-like button in the same place on the left hand side.

There's a lot of rubbish talked about WM around here - of course it's not perfect, but neither is UIQ by a long shot. WM has a distinct advantage in being used and supported by a great many more people, and there's a vast wealth of software and resources out there to help you make the most of it, and tailor the whole experience to your needs. The Tytn II has the grunt and abilities to make the most of it too.

Everything works on the Tytn II - the camera is good (if not great in low-light), the phone is stable and reliable, even the GPS is top notch in my experience - a proper working solution, not a gimmick as seen on some phones. The only thing I can criticise it on is battery life - I get a couple of days out of it, but not the three or four I'd routinely get from the M600i.

Before the M600i, I had the P910i and P800 - both great phones, and both actually better than the M600i and other UIQ3 phones in terms of their reliability and software support. For me, the Tytn II is a return to the good old days - it's reliable, fast, dependable, and simply does more, better, than any other smartphone on the block. It's a shame SE just don't make phones like this anymore.
andrewkeith5
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-28 18:10
strange that i've always been happy to agree with Boiing

it seems, in that case, that I will be joining the Windows Mobile scene very soon then

battery life was the only thing i was worried about (i don't particularly care about video recording, i have a video camera for that)

and on the subject of interfaces, i'm sorry but windows mobile is just better (especially with HTC's additions) - not as good as iphone, and probably on a par with s60, but UIQ 3 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind even the first incarnation of windows mobile, especially in terms of customisability. I wonder if Sony Ericsson reallise that occasionally people want to do things their own way, not the manufacturers.

[ This Message was edited by: andrewkeith5 on 2007-12-28 17:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: andrewkeith5 on 2007-12-28 17:12 ]
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-29 10:59
I'm seriously looking at the Tytn II for a possible replacement to my P990. So far the lack of FM radio is putting me off.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
drgopoos
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-29 13:07
makbil, go for it.. more chances that you will never turn to symbian
Of the FM radio i think there are headsets out there that have an in built FM radio.. get one of them
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-12-29 14:15

On 2007-12-29 10:59:06, makbil wrote:
I'm seriously looking at the Tytn II for a possible replacement to my P990. So far the lack of FM radio is putting me off.

Do you use your P990i to watch videos? If so, then wait until HTC releases a new ROM that improves video playing quality on the TyTN II. (Currently video acceleration is disabled in the ROM. Some rumours say that this is due to Broadcom's lawsuit against Qualcomm, and if this is true then HTC may never be allowed to fix this!)

Also, do you use a DS970 headset with your P990i and plan to use it with the TyTN II? This works very well for stereo sound and phone calls, although voice is a bit low and caller ID will not display contact names - only phone numbers, and keep the headset close to the TyTN II, otherwise you get crackling noise.

I had the TyTN II but traded it for an i-mate JASJAR... VGA display... yum! yum! (Spinal disc compression due to carrying heavy phone in belt case... ouch! ouch!)
lug
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-29 15:54
Guys,

I had a P990 until last month when a f*****g b******d decided to pick pocket it off me in Madrid. I looked around Madrid for a replacement but couldn't find another P990 so I bought the TyTN II.

Well after not using WM since I owned a HP 5550 (the PDA not the printer) I was pleasantly surprised. The P990 looks better in my view - more phone like, but the TyTN has many many features that SE could do well in copying like an inbuilt GPS that works excellently, WiFi g, 3Mp camera, more conection standards than you can shake a stick at and a rather cool looking keyboard and tilt action. Add to that the vast software base unlike the trickle for UIQ3. Another very big plus point for the TyTN is the following website.

http://www.xda-developers.com/

These guys do for the HTC what SE (or even HTC) could not do for their phones. I managed to flash my phone from Spanish to English and also to other ROMs (Dutty's are the best in my view), they are constantly updating the ROMS to include lastest fixes and patches - something SE owners can only dream of...

A negative point for the TyTN (for the time being) is a lack of proper drivers for video acceleration making the unit somewhat sluggish, but even this is beng looked into by the guys at XDA, with a possible solution early next year when WM6.1 is rolled out.

So all in all I would recommend the TyTN - and I have been a staunch SE fan for years.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-12-29 16:22
Note that TyTN and TyTN II are two different models and that the problems with video only applies to TyTN II.

[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2007-12-29 15:23 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-29 18:18
I occassionally thought of that.
Basically, I'm a bit like makbil in my thinking, also - finally I decided to wait for the next P.

BTW I realised lately that in my extensive, really extensive usage of the mobile device (let's say - pocket computer) I should be able to intensively test it under different circumstances to choose it or not, finally.
Some good data on paper does not ALWAYS mean superb device.
Maybe if we could test things more before purchase, some of us would use a different phone (including me).
I'm not jumping to another device before beeing sure it's better.
The thing I would test for sure is messaging/mailing and browser capabilities.
What I miss in P990 the most (equally P1) is lack of WiFi g and Flash support.
Actually, these two things would make P990 much more complete device these days.
I also consider the supposed date of next P in the market. It will be hard to wait to like September, in this case maybe I'll be pushed to choose...
Hardware wise I would choose P1, because it's more compact to use and does not require device turning to use it's all possibilities. But HTC keyb looks better....
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-29 19:06
Bottom line is if you want something pocketable go for the P1i, it is'nt quite as good as a TyTYn2 in any other department, other than the price of course, I assume the Kaiser must be at least 100pounds more than the P1i without a contract?

Also why dont you use both devices and then decide, personally I love modding ym phone and with WM the possibilities are endless, and lots of free apps too unlike S60, and I actually love the windows interface, and the interface can be changed completely to suit your taste.
c0mm0n
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-29 19:23
wm6 excels in customisation but sucks as an interface.

The way u manage data connections just shows it all.

I'm stunned you can defend this oldish interface. (but understand u can appreciate it)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi