Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Nokia is pushing it!!!!

Author Nokia is pushing it!!!!
bodhi2
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 17:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nokia have always been acused of having a phone and just changing sligthly the outside cover and putting a new model number to sell the same phone for different prices (usaly more).... BUT now this!!!!! This is just to much!!!! the only diff. and I repeat the diff. is one has radio and one does not!!!!
http://www.nokia.com/phones/compare/compare_results.jsp?phone=1129&phone=1127
apraiser
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 17:24
Dont forget about the 7210. Its the same as in the 6610, only in a different casing. What is more unbelievable is that a lot of people are are eating this stuff. More than you can think of. I guess that explains something, huh.
Oblomov
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 17:34
Well it's very sound from the beancounter's point of view.
You can cut down on developments costs as you basically keep the hw/sw and just change the shells and enable/disable some features. This way you can have very high margins at the same time as the custumers are kept happy as they can buy (what they think is-) new devices.

And not only Nokia... compare T65, R600 and T200 or T68 and T300. There is some difference between the models, but are they bigger than what (N) is giving you?

/H
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 17:37
tht's also one of the sucess story for nokia.

if you get a free copy of magazine in Helsinki airport, there's article showing why they can launch so many product in such short cycle.

Of course this also mean lack of innovation.
Zvika
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 18:19
Its amazing how people dont know whats in their phone!
and whats more amazing is that small innovative companies dont get a fair chance against this giant tycoon! (and im not reffering to SE as a small company)
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 18:45

Would somebody please explain to me what is it that it SOOO BAD about Nokia releasing similar phones? Don't you guys want to have more choices when you are buying a new phone? Example:

person 1 - wants all 6610/6100 features, but doesn't need the radio and he also wants a smaller and lighter device because he will carry it in his shirt pocket - he will buy 6100

person 2- wants all 6610/6100 features and wants to listen to radio too, size is not so important to him but needs a serious looking phone - he will buy 6610

person 3 - same as person 2 but want a crazy/funny/cool looking phone - he will buy a 7210

Where is the problem here guys? Why do you want these people to have only one type of phone they could buy? Everywhere in the consumer world it is a GOOD thing if the consumer has more choices when he is buying something. Well, everywhere except here, on a SE forum where some people are obviously so frustrated with Nokia's sucess and SE's lack of it that they will say just about anything to try to diss Nokia.
Zvika
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 19:06
Cant say i havnt waited for your "witted" response faca....
Explain me something, if Nokia wants to be such a consumer sutisfying company why does she release so many SIMILIAR models with the exact same functions - Ill tell you why, its not because they want give response to all of the mobile phone clients, its because they want more and more money, cant deny SE or any other company dosnt want money but i can be assured that no other company is like Nokia,
there are many small and innovative companies that just need their chance to break into the mobile phones world - but they cant because companies like Nokia flood the market with cheap models which are the same with minor modifications! and that differs them than most companies.
what u wrote was bullshit it clearly shows that youll protect Nokia at all costs, but take a moment to think about it...
T-mobile
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 19:07
About Person 1,2,3 they could have the same phone and just change the faceplates. I don't see much difference out of this.
But anyway, it is in the blood of everybody to want to change a phone not because of the lack of the features but in order to buy something "new". Most people feel satisfaction about buying something. Just look at another thread about T68i being outdated. Ofcourse not T68i is old, and has so many features, but people are getting crazy witing for its replacement, because T68 has been out more than a year and they need to buy a new phone. They think that T68 is old forgeting that is a very advanced phone. Thay just say "oh I have my phone for a year and I need to change it." And I can't believe that people are getting crazy with Siemens S55 which is a T68 with Polyphones released after 1-1.5 years after T68. But is a "new" phone that what matters. Same story with T300. It is a f*cking ungly phone, but I know people getting rid of their T68's in order to buy this POS....why? because it was released after the T68 and they have the illusion that is a better phone. Give me a sh!t.
I guess Nokia knows that desire of people, that's why they produce same phone with slight differences. I don't think it is Nokia's fault, it is our fault, the consumer's fault that are inching every 3-4 months to buy another phone regardless of features. I don't like what Nokia is doing, but I say a bravo to them because they are taking the advantage of the consumer's stupidity.

[ This Message was edited by: T-mobile on 2002-12-18 18:08 ]
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 19:28
Have to agree with @faca on this one. The consumer wan't choices, nokia provides a lot of it(maybe too much). If you don't like it, don't by it. As easy as that. Other manufacturers are following this trend too, samsung, siemens etc... Even se(especially the cheaper models). And believe me, se would be just as \"bad\" as nokia, if they could afford it!

This post was posted from a Nokia 7650

Oblomov
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 19:32
The downside of this when it comes to Nokia phones is the fact that they are almost never first with new technology, but quite happy to let or (M) or someone else take the technical lead to later implement (more or less welll ... N7650 ) those technologies that the customers seem to be prepared to pay for.

So if you want a good bleading edge device, you don't need to look further than Sony Ericsson ... unfortunately does these phones usually not sell as well as dirt-cheap clones of last years phones...

/H

[ This Message was edited by: Oblomov on 2002-12-18 18:33 ]
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 19:40
As i see it, the only really innovativ handsets se has provided to the industry are the t68i and the p800.

Deltayoda
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 19:47
To hell with choices! I want everyone to have only one phone model for 10 years. Then we can eliminate the problem with people spending to much money on mobile phones. :-) No more crying about which phone is better.

This post was posted from a T68i

Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 19:55
Whereas nokia has been innovative providing devices such as; 5110, 6110, 7110, 3210,...... 7650, the communicator etc... I'm sure i've left out some between the 3210 and 7650.... But there's of course loads of things i don't like about nokia as well... For one, they hurry their releases which results in bugs(8310, 7210).

Oblomov
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 20:09
Quote:

On 2002-12-18 19:55, Raven wrote:
Whereas nokia has been innovative providing devices such as; 5110, 6110, 7110, 3210,...... 7650, the communicator etc... I'm sure i've left out some between the 3210 and 7650.... But there's of course loads of things i don't like about nokia as well... For one, they hurry their releases which results in bugs(8310, 7210).

I don't want to say that I dislike Nokia in principle, I was very satisfied with my N6150 for several years, but the Nokia-attack-of-the-clowns has escalated from circa 2000 and at the same time has their innovativeness decreased IMHO.

Motorola introduced GPRS and Java well before Nokia
and Ericsson came first with touch screen, bluetooth and color screens, relative Nokia.
And Ericssons attachable extras like radio, mp3, camera, etcetera do I think they introduced before (N) built in these extras in some of their phones.
7110 was first with the then somewhat overhyped WAP, but WAP was not really usable until the introduction of GPRS...

/H
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 20:28
Well..... What are the motorola models you are talking about here? I've had a lot of different mobile phones from -95, and i can say that the only one i've ever had any real problems with was a motorola(star tack or something). I've tried some of motorolas newer models as well, and i haven't found anything resembling innovative about them. IMHO motorola is the worst cell phone manufacturer ever!

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi