Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K850i camera vs G800

Author K850i camera vs G800
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-03 23:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I dont care what any SE fanboy says here - I have allways been a SE fanboy myself - but this 850 camera is ludecrislou poor

take a look at some of these samples taken in sunny daylight or well lit indoor

and some random shots from my K750 for comparison:

NO postprocessing has been done to any of the photos by me - they are straight out of the phones and uploaded in original - resized by the Esato web resizer during upload only

Naturally I have made some shots from the K850 that are better than these samples - but most are not that much better, and in general all shots require heavy postprocessing just to look reasonably ok. And I do know how to use the manual settings, I have been an eager photographer for years with proper cameras as well as mobile cams.

Simple fact is that it makes almost no difference what you do with the settings - its still a complete random hit and miss how the result turns out in the K850

This is propably one of the best I have been able to take with the K850 - and even this have wrong color rendition and doesnt come close to some of the best shots Ive taken with the K750

[ This Message was edited by: numb on 2008-01-03 22:23 ]
ripnrage
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-04 11:33

On 2008-01-03 18:18:46, dupfold wrote:
Which out of the two has the fastest shutter speed please?

That would be intresting to know! Anyone tested this?
plankgatan
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2008-01-04 13:13
numb...eeeeeeeeehhhhhhh

this indoor pics from your k850 looks like a joke

here what i get with my k850..indoor, no flash of course...taken in low light

document, -0.7...stabilzer off

document, -0.7...stabilzer on

(t610, t630, k700, k750, k800, k810)

[ This Message was edited by: plankgatan on 2008-01-04 12:14 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 00:27
@numb
I have to agree with Plankgatan, your shots show significant lack of care on your part not

For instance:
Pic 1 & 3 have very strong Blue hues - a characteristic of setting the exposure to fluorescent when you actually have significant natural light in the shot. I know, I've done it myself by accident.

Pic 2, you moved the camera and made the image blurry.

Pic 4 looks okay but you're a little too close to the subject for the focus to work well. Remember, it's not a DSLR! Use of the 'rule of thirds' for composition would help that shot.

Pic 7 (candles) looks out of focus. Too close again? Macro-mode?
Edit: Infact I think you left the fluorescent setting on again for this shot.

I do think the K850i is disappointing in some situations and struggles alongside the Optical zoom, massive file size G800, but with care applied it can produce great photos as Plankgatan has demonstrated.

New Zealand - Hosts of the 2011 Rugby World Cup

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-01-04 23:37 ]
rockerZ
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 00:51

On 2008-01-04 13:13:58, plankgatan wrote:
numb...eeeeeeeeehhhhhhh

AND HERE COMES THE BIGGEST PRAISER OF K850 EVER KNOWN !
KEEP IT UP , AND I HOPE YOU STAY AS THE BIGGEST PRAISER KNOWN YET.

I love my K750 !
I love my N73 Music Edition !
I love my Sony Ericsson K810 !
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 02:15

On 2008-01-05 00:27:58, carkitter wrote:
@numb
I have to agree with Plankgatan, your shots show significant lack of care on your part not

For instance:
Pic 1 & 3 have very strong Blue hues - a characteristic of setting the exposure to fluorescent when you actually have significant natural light in the shot. I know, I've done it myself by accident.

Pic 2, you moved the camera and made the image blurry.

Pic 4 looks okay but you're a little too close to the subject for the focus to work well. Remember, it's not a DSLR! Use of the 'rule of thirds' for composition would help that shot.

Pic 7 (candles) looks out of focus. Too close again? Macro-mode?
Edit: Infact I think you left the fluorescent setting on again for this shot.

I do think the K850i is disappointing in some situations and struggles alongside the Optical zoom, massive file size G800, but with care applied it can produce great photos as Plankgatan has demonstrated.

not a single of your excuses are correct.

1-3 - no naturally it was not set to flourescent - it was set to auto

2 - no i did not move the camera - my arms were resting on the table, and I am able to hold a camera still as you could notice if you would care to look at the samples from K750 - I took rougly 20 pics from that room and all came out like this one - some even worse - and 5 of them were taken with timer while placed on a stand and no human hand touching it.

4 - this is not even a picture from the K850 but from the K750 - it was taken with all settings to auto, indoor in a petshop, in a hurry because photography was forbidden. There were no time for composition considerations or any manual tweaking. But even under these conditions this image outperforms any I have been able to take with the K850 - regardles of how much I tweak the manual settings.

7 - no, I did not use neither flourescent nor macro. But simple autosettings, with the camera in my hands while my arms where resting on the table to keep the camera still. I took 10 pictures of this candle, and tried with and without stabilizer and the other 9 were even worse.

I rescent your aqusisions that my K850 is performing poorly because of me.

I have 1000+ photos from K750 to prove I am fully capable of handling a silly mobile cam. And many of them has been hailed here on Esato some year or 2 ago when the K750 was new and the K750 pictures thread was hot. Look it up.

I have 10000+ photos from regular digicams to also prove Im not a complete idiot (with a camera atleast).

And I never said I expected a DSLR from my K850, only that I expected it to be a stetup from my K750 - and its not.

The samples from the K850 I have provided here are not pictures where any kind of composition was intended, or any manual finetuning performed, they were simply quick random shots with everything on auto to simply test the cameras own ability, conditions under which the K750 has no problems providing a reasonable picture.

So spare me the patronising lecture based on these samples.

The camera in my phone is rubbish - its not capable of producing proper exposure, whitebalance, colorsaturation or focus, it produces washed out images with burned out whites, no colorsaturation, lots of problems with different hue, washed out detail as well as heavy compression and edge artefacts - and you have to use settings which are not correct for the actual situations just to try and compensate for the cameras inabilitys, which then in turn gives other problems to the image because the manual settings you are forced to use are basically wrong for the situation.

Staticstically 8 of 10 shots are useles - the last 2 not even ok.

The only situations where my K850 seems to perform as I would expect it to, is when taking macro shots - everything else simply just doesnt work right no matter how I manually tweak the settings.

It may be that the camera in my K850 are poorer than some others due to the obviously lack of qualitcontrol with this phone - well documented by the many unhappy owners that has returned their phones 2-3-4 times before getting one they felt were not outright defective - and the many others who cannot return their phones like me, and just hope patiently for some fixes in firmware that may improve things.

Even the most singleminded SE fanboy can see from the many reactions on this forum that this phone is a problem child for many buyers - and it seems only a limited number of production units actually came out working as they should.

And plankgatans many good shots (in the K850 pictures thread) proves nothing - except maybe that his K850 isnt suffering from the same hardware problems mine is, and maybe a good use of postprocessing. Theres no way in the world plankgatan could produce similar pictures with my phone and no postprocessing (except for macroshots where I as mentioned also can make good shots)

In fact you might even say that the 2 good shots provided by plankgatan in this thread proves my point - because if you notice the settings used, plankgatan used the document setting which actually turns on the macro funtion - which is definately wrong when taking a picture in the situation these were taken, and which would render a picture out of focus if the camera was actually working as it should. The exposure setting of -0,7 also should not be needed as there are no bright heavy lighting conditions that require a lower exposuresetting. Again indicating that the camera behaves wrong.

But please feel free to provide links to some full size pictures where I can examine the exif data myself instead of edited rezised shots. Some where you think the K850 performs as could be expected.

[ This Message was edited by: numb on 2008-01-05 01:33 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 02:43
I've seen many great full sized unedited pics from K850. However I also trust numb's camera ability as he has proven over and again in the K750 thread.

My take is that a good example of a K850, when using manual controls to improve on the camera's auto algorithym's which are crap, can take excellent photos. However there is a problem with the colour red which is disapoointing and only correctable with post processing.

K750 is a far better point and shoot camera than the K850. The K850 requires too much thought for each and every shot to ensure it works out well (and even then you need a good example of the handset and not a defective one).

It's a shame that the auto algorithms of the K850 aren't better, so you had the option of point and shoot when you want it. I actually find even the K800 suffers from poor algorithms - auto settings seem bound to disapoint.

However, one thing that keep me using the K800 - it does have better resolution and this DOES make a difference in many instances. It means for example you can reduce the image on pc to an effective 2MP that looks better close up than K750 pics (which have a bad grain affect when viewed at 1:1). Printouts at 8x10 are better from a K800 than a K750.

I think the same arguments also apply to the K850, if you have a good one and not a crap one

Another factor in K800 and K850 is the disappointing use of high ISO values to achieve exposure balance and hide cmos sensor grain in flash photography. Atleast with the K850 you can manually reduce the ISO.

plankgatan
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 03:09
you dont know what you talking about....k850 get this quality with plain auto to....there is no big difference between example portrait, document or auto when you shot indoor pics...its minimum.

do you realy think that k850 produce this kind of 100% crappy pictures..he he he...you guys are funny.

im not saying that k850 is ten times better then N82, because it isnt.
BUT K850 TAKE TEN TIMES BETTER INDOOR PICS THEN MY OLD (cid 36)K750...AUTO OR NOT !!!!!!

ps..i realy give a shit about k850...i like all my phones..

here is a example..
auto

iso.400

[ This Message was edited by: plankgatan on 2008-01-05 02:34 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 08:22
I was the first to stick up for your photographic skills and also the first to stick up for K850 in the many flame wars about K850/N95. So please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Just because you post one picture is no serious rebutal of my claim.

My K800 also often takes great auto pictures, but with no where near the consistancy of the K750. You can argue it anyway you like but I still reckon I'm right about the auto algorithms of both K800 (which I have taken over 1000 pics with) and also the K850. Even though I have never taken a K850 picture, I have looked at hundreds of images from various sources, many at full size. The compression due to high ISO, over-exposure, and poor auto wb is what often prevents this camera from being better than the N95 (in auto mode). That and it's purple tinted reds.

There are other factors, and I agree until I handle a K850 I can't give a definitive analysis, but I stand by my claim based on the many similiarities K850 pics have with K800 that set them both back from the K750 in terms of point and shoot.

kenoby
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 08:42
@Numb, I am sorry to see you feel kinda crossed over. I have K850i and am very satisfied with it's camera even thou I had N95 before.

Maybe you could try to reflash it. Just a thought. And make a master reset after (backup before)

I would like to see if it improves. I do have a doubt, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Best luck!
tai020381
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 09:27

On 2008-01-05 08:22:52, max_wedge wrote:
I was the first to stick up for your photographic skills and also the first to stick up for K850 in the many flame wars about K850/N95. So please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Just because you post one picture is no serious rebutal of my claim.

My K800 also often takes great auto pictures, but with no where near the consistancy of the K750. You can argue it anyway you like but I still reckon I'm right about the auto algorithms of both K800 (which I have taken over 1000 pics with) and also the K850. Even though I have never taken a K850 picture, I have looked at hundreds of images from various sources, many at full size. The compression due to high ISO, over-exposure, and poor auto wb is what often prevents this camera from being better than the N95 (in auto mode). That and it's purple tinted reds.

There are other factors, and I agree until I handle a K850 I can't give a definitive analysis, but I stand by my claim based on the many similiarities K850 pics have with K800 that set them both back from the K750 in terms of point and shoot.

I think Plank was not referring to you...

[ This Message was edited by: tai020381 on 2008-01-05 08:30 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 10:07
I think he was, but no hard feelings either way. I guees we each have our own opinions and that's what makes these forums so valuable.
gunsnroses
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 12:32

On 2008-01-04 13:13:58, plankgatan wrote:
numb...eeeeeeeeehhhhhhh

No offense, but i would call that low-light. The fact that its ev -0.7 and it also looks quite bright anyway.

Numb knows how to use a cam, the fact that he gets on average better pics from his k750i is a bit worrying.
MEhsanJ
W700
PM
Posted: 2008-01-05 12:45
Hey hi
i am ehsan n i say that sony ericsson dont know how to make a camera in any phon no zoom is available in full size picture whats this? in all nokia fones zoom is available in ful size pic NOKIA is real fone makers
thanks buddy
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-05 12:52

On 2008-01-05 12:45:10, MEhsanJ wrote:
Hey hi
i am ehsan n i say that sony ericsson dont know how to make a camera in any phon no zoom is available in full size picture whats this? in all nokia fones zoom is available in ful size pic NOKIA is real fone makers
thanks buddy

How about you make an effort to know what you are talking about before opening your mouth? Do you realise how immature you are coming across?

All SE camera phone's to date have digital zoom in full sized pictures (with exception W960 which crops pictures down to lower resolution rather than digitally enhance them - a perfectly legitmate method in my view)

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic