Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > SE w960 i or HTC tytn ll ?

Author SE w960 i or HTC tytn ll ?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-12 13:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I always found the old P-series phones bulky not because of their weight, or even their size exactly, but because of the flip. The flip was always there jutting out the front, catching on pockets etc, and although I'd never want to take it off (IMO too much functionality was lost without it) it did have the effect of making the phones feel quite cumbersome, and overlarge.

The M600i changed all that, being the originator of the P1's flipless, qwerty form factor, and I swore I'd never go back to another bulky phone. I still ended up with the Tytn II though, and I'm happy with it, because despite the extra weight I don't consider it a bulky phone - it fits nicely in the hand or pocket, and it doesn't have a flip or anything else jutting out (the whole phone is smooth and rounded, like a pebble), so in most respects it's just as easy to carry as the M600i.
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-12-12 13:13
I believe you Boinng since after using P1 I can see why you always spoke high about M600, you were absolutely rigth about size and qwerty:)
I hope somebody around me will buy TYNT so that I can feel how it fits in the hand and pocket. So far I enjoy P1 so much.
drgopoos
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-12 14:27
Has any one felt a difference in the call quality between the two handsets
i mean the
1. voice clarity
2. signal reception
3. speaker phone

I know very well that WM is always a pain when used as a phone.
Foxhunter
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-12-12 20:42
Hmm I'm right now trying to decide wheter to buy the P1 or the Tytn 2. And right now I'm thinking that I can buy a 3 month old P1 for about 400 $ and a 3 month old Tytn 2 for 800 $ so I really am confused...

No companies in Denmark offers the Tytn 2 with a contract for privates so thats the reason why I looked at used prices - not that a 3 month old phone is that used...

As I see at some point of view the only reason I want the Tytn 2 instead of the P1i is because it has built in GPS, and I don't know if that's good enough as a reason - I also would like to try a new OS (have a P900 now) but if the phone part of the Tytn 2 is not that good I have my doubts...

What would you do? And what do you think of my point about the GPS part?
benjijk
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-12 22:04
Hmmm... HTC TytnII vs P1i. I must say, I love the P1i, but I don't like the very slow progress of UIQ3. They don't keep users posted on anything, updates, what's upcoming, etc. Also UIQ3 doesn't appear to be an attractive market to 3rd party developers and there's very little being released on the UIQ3 end as compared to S60 and WM. Additionally slower processors, slower WiFI speeds, lack of quad band and other data specific network handling, (HSDPA, EDGE, etc.)

I know I stated here that I'm unsure of a WM device, but I must say the more I read about it, the more impressive this device looks. Also check out this review on the Tytn II: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zyk0TR6pUPA

I'll wait a little bit and see how these markets improve or fall apart, and if WM keeps up, I'm ditching SE. Slow processor on the P1 and then a 12Mhz faster processor on the W960. That's stupid. SE keeps releasing all sorts of devices with one or 2 single updates. Compare p1 to the W960. Basically the same, without the QWERTY keys and with Walkman software. Everything else is pretty much the same. Consider M600 to P1, basic differences again. Essentially they're just trying to get people to buy different versions of the same product. No major innovations, and just minor enhancements. Consider how many models have been released K750, K800 K850... and minor improvements. I would greatly appreciate if they followed the Apple model and put all that time and research into producing one great device. (the Iphone is not great, but for a first product, its pretty darn good, and great enough to shatter market records.)

I hate the SE trend, and I hope someone up the SE ladder is doing some thinking and listening. They really have to stop producing a 100 different devices, and consider focusing energy and innovation on just a few. As a market we can send out a message to SE by not buying new products, but it is hard to organize an effort like that..... oh well....
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 08:22
I just upgraded to a TyTn II. Folks, no comparison. This WM phone simply blows the P1i away. But then, you can't compare apples and oranges, can you?

I'll post some of my impressions in a few weeks.

Meanwhile, I'm happy I've got my schedules and contacts all neatly and reliably organized, backed up and synchronized, categories and all, and back to being productive after 3 weeks of beta-testing...

P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-13 08:32

On 2007-12-12 22:04:58, benjijk wrote:
Slow processor on the P1 and then a 12Mhz faster processor on the W960. That's stupid.

I have to state this again: WM needs more processing power than Symbian! 400 mhz means this processor is up to par with P1i's 208 mhz. That's why WM has more mhz and more memory cuz it needs so much more.
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
psikey
W960
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 10:36
What you say is true in many respects but when it comes to video playback, power PPC's are better than the P990i/P1i/W960i.
benjijk
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 10:36
@701

I have to disagree. A friend's t-mobile mda (HTC) has a 195Mhz processor. I think that's a fair comparison with the P1i. And it loaded everything like messaging, contacts, web browser, etc in not more than a second each. Also it has only around 40-50mb of RAM. Now that's an old phone. Compare those times with the 4-5 seconds each it takes to open everything on the P1.

I stick by what I said. SE's quite simply lagging behind. Again 701, I like the SE P1i, it is no doubt a great phone, and a good upgrade from my K750. But like I said, I dislike their business model. If the P1i has a ~200mhz processor, then its absolutely unacceptable that they release a successor like the W960 (almost) with a 12MHz speed increment. For all we know, they probably just overclocked the processor, included walkman software with good graphics, and took out the QWERTY keyboard. Quite honestly, what's different about the W960?

I mean consider this upgrade, P990 - 208MHz proc, 64MB RAM (or 80? not sure), UIQ3.0 and everything else except design and camera remained the same. Is that the "upgrade" they release after a year (or two)?

Consider the upgrade on the WM spectrum - from a 195Mhz HTC tmobile MDA to now the Tytn II with a 400Mhz processor, and lot more RAM, and included GPS!! And with a lot more companies following suit, Mio, ETEN, Fujitsu, etc.

P910-> the P990 -> the P1 -> W960 ... these are not really upgrades in my book. It's just really good and overhyped marketing.
psikey
W960
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 10:41
Ref: "successor like the W960 "

It's not a successor, just a different flavour of the P1i geared more to music (hence large storage & Walkman player).

My current requirements are met by the P1i/W960i series phone as a wanted a smaller device than my P990i and prefer the JOT input method & longer lasting battery than say the TyTN II.

But the TyTN II is undoutedly the more powerful & flexible machine.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 11:16
Just on the processor argument - to say that WM needs the 400mhz processor and UIQ doesn't is to suggest that UIQ performance on a 200mhz processor is akin to that of WM on 400mhz. Quite simply, it isn't - the Tytn II flies through everyday tasks that are noticably slower and more ponderous on the P1. Even simple things like opening messages are much more than twice as fast, they're instant, compared to the seconds that can tick by in UIQ.

I can imagine a WM device with a 200mhz processor still being faster than the P1. I can't imagine it the other way.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 11:19
the w960 and p1 have exactly the same processor, and processor speed, and ammount of RAM...and like psikey said, the W960 is not a P1 successor in any way

UIQ devices are RAM intensive mainly, on other had WM devices are processor intensive...

Its well known symbian devices do not need such high processor speeds, and that whay they can get advantages in terms of battery consumption

Anyone compared a n95 (latest fw) with the Tytn II??? The n95 processor is slower in terms of clock speed, but AFAIK its really fast, and might be as fast as the tytn

Problem is, SE should have used the same processor used on the n95...now, the big jump will only happen on the next platform

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2007-12-13 10:24 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 11:26

On 2007-12-13 11:19:02, ares wrote:
you were going so well, then you blew it with this...

UIQ devices are RAM intensive mainly, WM devices are processor intensive

You believe that if you wish, it doesn't change my experience. The Tytn II has the same ram, and twice the processor of the P1 - but its more than twice as fast. With half the processing power in my "processor intensive" WM device, I still believe it would be faster than the P1.
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 11:28
IMO SE made super machine with P1. It is the first time that I absolutely don't care about news in the smartphone area as this phone fully satisfies my current needs.
They payed attention on so many important details. Phone is noticeably smaller, pocket sized and very good built quality. Stulys is larger and perfectly fits the hand unlike previous models. Screen visible on the direct sunshine. Plenty of free RAM gives enormous multitasking capacity. Apps response are very fast for eg. 400mb video file opens in 2-3 sec. and scrolling from the beginning to the end goes instantly. Battery life is much improved so no more hesitation whether to use some functions in the meadle/end of the day or not:) Camera is quite good, music reproduction better with some cool features as trackID. Wifi and opera works like a charm, very fast, stable and reliable. More internal memory so now I instal all apps on it not on the mem.card. Semi qwerty surprisingly fast and good, fantastic for long text input

I know TYTN has generally better specs but again IMO P1 (W960 as I dont see much difference) is superb and amazing phone worth every cent of what it costs..
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 11:41
The bottom line, IMHO, is that the P1i is not a business model, as it is positioned to be.

Let's leave all the toys and goodies aside (camera, GPS, menu speed, processor etc.).

The P1i, and I believe all of SE's products after the P910, do not include reliable, secure, bug-free business applications (read PIM). Even third-party business applications fail to deliver because the underlying business application infrastructure in the P1i is so raw.

I have no regrets about moving away from the P1i (unlike with my P900).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic