Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > SE w960 i or HTC tytn ll ?

Author SE w960 i or HTC tytn ll ?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 14:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-12-05 14:25:02, himlims_nl wrote:
i used handwrinting ALOT with my p910/p990 since ít feels quite natural, and for some notes you don't want to use the keypad/qwerty

I quite agree; I used handwriting a lot on my P800, P910 and M600i, and I still use it a lot on my Tytn II.

It's nice to have that big keyboard for other times though.
isadouglas
P800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 16:06
I am adamant about the hand writing recognition!

I love it and it is a must for me!!!
kalu
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 17:21
Did you try the keyboard on the TyTn? For comparison purposes.
drgopoos
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 17:29

On 2007-12-05 16:06:45, isadouglas wrote:
I am adamant about the hand writing recognition!

I love it and it is a must for me!!!

100 % agree with you , but when ever i have to enter bigger data i use the key board..
Key board is the best one i have used !!!!
Handwriting-- For me the inbuilt one dint follow me.. so i brought caligrapher.. and it works perfect for me..

Gopu
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 17:44
I find the "letter recogniser" option in the Tytn II (and presumably any WM device) a near enough exact match for the handwriting style I used in UIQ for the past four years. I haven't figured out how to do all the odd symbols yet (like [square brackets] for example) but they're only a quick prod away on the symbol grid. For "Jot" style scribbling, it's perfect.
isadouglas
P800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 17:51
Im going after work to try the htc at compusa, they have the htc touch on display only. Here in Florida is hard to find a store yhat has the Htc tytn ll on display. I guess it is the same HW recognition.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 18:23
Yep, almost certainly. You choose between input methods by touching the screen icon in the bottom middle, between the soft keys, and choosing from the list - letter recogniser is what I'd recommend to a UIQ user. The layout is different - instead of the lower screen/arrow/upper screen arrangement in UIQ you have three boxes at the bottom for capitals, lowercase, and numbers/symbols. Other than that it's pretty identical.

Once you've chosen your input method, that choice "sticks" until you reboot or reselect another, but is sensibly ignored whenever you have the keyboard open.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2007-12-05 17:24 ]
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 20:14

On 2007-12-05 13:52:28, MattJ wrote:
However if you're serious 'bout your music, invest in a Shuffle, Touch or Iphone. Walkman phones are good but I still rate ipods as better for MP3 or any music formats. Did try stereo bluetooth using my Itech r35 with my Tytn II, sounds OK. Again, testing with no enhancement to format and using 192kbps.

Im sorry but personally the ipods audio quality was sub par to any of my walkman phones. With a descent set of headphones it blew ipod out of the water. The lack of a radio was ever so frustrating and i really hated the need to use itunes or having to re-formate to use an ipod. Besides i think for a lot of people the ability to have an all in one device so not to have to lug around 2-3 devices is increasingly important. The w960i and even the p1i is that all in one, buisness functions (p1i being the obvious better choice due to qwerty), great music and video player, as well as decent camera and phone. Its not perfect because you do lose some the qualities of a standalone device but it gets the job done
isadouglas
P800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-08 19:01
I cheked the htc slider from att it is there any difference with htc Tytn ll?
I liked the hand written recognition anyways.
MattJ
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-12-10 04:22
[Im sorry but personally the ipods audio quality was sub par to any of my walkman phones. With a descent set of headphones it blew ipod out of the water. The lack of a radio was ever so frustrating and i really hated the need to use itunes or having to re-formate to use an ipod. Besides i think for a lot of people the ability to have an all in one device so not to have to lug around 2-3 devices is increasingly important. The w960i and even the p1i is that all in one, buisness functions (p1i being the obvious better choice due to qwerty), great music and video player, as well as decent camera and phone. Its not perfect because you do lose some the qualities of a standalone device but it gets the job done
[/quote]
A difference of opinion. Walkman phones are good, to say they blow Ipods out of the water is a bit on the extreme side because for the Ipods, you can also invest in a good pairs of earphones and they will be much better as well. As to the question of a 960 against a Tytn, it boils down to your needs. As many forummers had commented, 960 for fun and music while the Tytn is geared for business. If you're flush with cash, get both, end of story.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-10 11:18
I had a play with the new Tytn on Saturday. Nice but not for me. Too big and bulky. Heavy, too. I use the phone extensively and I can't deal with a heavy phone on my ear all the time. It's true most of the times I use a BT headset but still.
Other than that, I can't get used to WM 06/06 layout. Too many shortcuts on the screen, weird locations on the most basic stuff. But what I hate the most is the IE which has a lot of buttons and a very small action area.
So, I'll stick to my UIQ phone.
PS: I know you can use plugins to enhance usability but still, who has the time to tweak every little thing?
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-12-10 11:30
no need to mention the phone being heavy when you then mention that you use a BT headset most of the time as this seems like an inconsistant criticism, and really is 50g diff between W960/P1 and TyTN II really going to tire you out?

as for bulk, so there is little in it.
W960 is 109 x 55 x 16mm
TyTN II is 112 x 59 x 19mm

in pocket IE I use full screen mode which take away the top and bottom bars giving maximum viewing area. When you then press the soft keys these bars return briefly so you can use the menus etc.

Regarding WM layout, well I guess any device you are not used to will seem to be strange but humans are quite adaptable in these circumstances
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-10 11:47
Masseur...that is like saying the P1 does not feel much less bulkier than the P990...and i had both lol...the P990 was not pocketable...the P1 is, and i think the same goes for comparing the TyTn 2 with the W960 - but only on this subject

SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-10 11:54
I couldn't agree more with Ares.
The P1 has a slick touch (and aluminum solid too!) that makes it very pocketable. It just slides in really easy. Not having rubber parts/keys also helps I suppose...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-12-10 12:12
well, this isn't really about the P1, its about the W960, and with the dimensions I posted there is just 3mm in it between W960 and TyTN II

I never carried the original TyTN, or the P990, in my trousers pockets but the TyTN II sits in there very nicely

since I don't have a w960 here are some real comparison pics I made with the P1 which to me shows the TyTN II is definitly not bulky

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic