Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > SE w960 i or HTC tytn ll ?

Author SE w960 i or HTC tytn ll ?
himlims_nl
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 18:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i tell you one thing, take any phone but a Windows Mobile device

EVERY windows mobile device does come with a 'Reset' button .... why???

since WM devices seem to crash/freeze/hang etc. a lot.
With my imate jasjar even the reset button got broken, inmagine that.

[T65/T68/T610/T630/W810/K610/K700/K750/P800/P910/P990/K850] - [ Esato Knowledge database ]
how can i be at your service?
hansen
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 18:45

On 2007-12-02 01:51:56, Dogmann wrote:
They really are targeted at different markets and are not similar at all a choice between a P1 and TytN 11 would be a fairer comparison.

P1 has it's qwerty keys, otherwise it's identical to w960. No more of a business phone. Sometimes it seems as if people don't realise that se branding is just se branding. Same phones.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 22:23
@hansen

I am only to aware of that fact but the lack of a qwerty keyboard on the W960 does make it less of a business device. Same as the N95 8GB is primarily a Multimedia smart phone not a business device hence it's N series monika.

Having said that by adding a SU-8W bluetooth keyboard my N95 8gb is a more than capable business device a simple and quite inexpensive upgrade to QuickOffice and it is a fully functioning business device and still has the most powerful processor found in any Symbian smart phone as well as 128mb Ram and also demand paging for increased performance.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-12-04 21:23 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 23:01
EVERY windows mobile device does come with a 'Reset' button .... why???

since WM devices seem to crash/freeze/hang etc. a lot.

I'm sure that was once the case, but it doesn't tie in with my experience of the tytn at all. the reset button is needed for certain configuration and software changes to apply (like restarting your pc) but in two months I've never needed to reset due to a crash or freeze. in fact I don't think it's ever crashed on me, which is a lot better than my M600i when I first got that.

It's probably fair to say that an occasional reset improves performance on a WM device, but then that's especially true of UIQ3 phones as well - they just don't have a button for it.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2007-12-04 22:04 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 23:14
ok. first I don't think every thread on Esato needs to introduce the N95/N95 8GB as a comparison, especially when the topic does not call for it

secondly. I have had multiple devices in every generation of pocket pc and windows mobile device since they were invented and while its true that early iPaqs right up to pre-mobile 5450 required regular soft resets its a clear indication of someone who has not used WM2003 SE or later that they have not used such devices

since the Jam, K-Jam, JasJar, TyTN, TyTN II I have only EVER done a soft reset when required after installing software such as Resco file manger etc. Other than that I agree that every device, not just mobile phones, benefit from a restart of some kind
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 04:37

On 2007-12-04 18:45:38, hansen wrote:
P1 has it's qwerty keys, otherwise it's identical to w960. No more of a business phone. Sometimes it seems as if people don't realise that se branding is just se branding. Same phones.

Not the same phones. The P1 comes with the full QuickOffice suite and together with the QWERTY keyboard makes it a proper business phone. Both of these are missing from the W960.
EDIT: The W960 does indeed also have QuickOffice. Then it comes down to the choice of with or without QWERTY.

On 2007-12-04 23:14:40, masseur wrote:
ok. first I don't think every thread on Esato needs to introduce the N95/N95 8GB as a comparison, especially when the topic does not call for it

That'll leave some people with very little to contribute . . .

[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2007-12-05 04:12 ]
drgopoos
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 05:07
One of the important things for me , when i want a phone for office use is the availability of third party application, good key board, larger screen, good customization of the desktop ( so that i can have just a peek at the phone and get all the information like appointments, mails and weather update in an instant, without having to launch an application for each of these0 and most importantly 100% sync with my laptop.

Looking at all these tytn II is the best in the market...

w960i falls behind in all these aspects.

There are many other things that make tytn II better

BUT tytn is not a good device as a phone ( more to do with the WM OS). It feels cumbersome when i use it for a phone.

W960 will top in this area. ALso multimedia should be better in w960i...

But hopefully htc will release the drivers soon and will make multimedia better in TYTN II

Another thing i am looking forward to is the new WM 6.1 (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/gallery/hanadsets/windows-mobile-61/) version that is planned to be released early next year and going by the rumors tytn II is going to get it...i saw the preview of it in endgaget forum and was impressed by the looks !!!! THis should make WM a better experience...

Again there are few other WM devices planned to be released early next year. One that i am looking forward is Ipaq 610c... loaded with features and quite the foam factor that i like. This can also be a good alternative to w960i and even tyn II

SO lots of options coming up....

Over, now all i would rate tytn II much ahead of w960i

Gopu

[ This Message was edited by: drgopoos on 2007-12-05 04:21 ]
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 06:18
my reasons why i'd put TYTN II ahead for W960 for now is,

i got benefit from using a decent built-in GPS, works just fine for my needs, secondly, it's a more business oriented phone, where a QWERTY keyboard is very necessarry in my case. a decent battery life is another bonus. a 3MP camera is quite ok, not as good as W960 i suppose, but i could live with it. and i need to buy a 6GB SD micro for my storage, so i am quite satisfied for now, since i previously used a P1. when comparing the stability between WM6 and UIQ 3, i thought they both perform very well. but one obvious advantage TYTN II have over W960 is the HSDPA enabled. that i can't live without
Nokku
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 10:14
Theee 2 phone is definitely different w960 is a music phone if you use mostly for multimedia you should choose it but Tytn is made for business activities it has not only qwerty but also touch screen and it also can do the multimedia quite well but the price is 150% higher than w960.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 10:21
Actually the price isn't so different - on Expansys right now, buying a Tytn II outright will cost you just £5 more than pre-ordering a W960. Of course the networks will do you a better deal on a V1615/Vario III/Stellar/Tilt etc (all branded versions of the Tytn II).

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2007-12-05 09:23 ]
kalu
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 12:57
I don't get one thing. Why is everybody so adamant about the hand writing recognition on TyTN? Who uses it anyway? Did you all know that there is keyboard with it? Slide the keyboard and you don't need to write on the screen anymore. For me, using the keyboard (which is much better that any SE phone) proves to be much faster and reliable.

One other major advantage of a WM phone is the number of software applications. It is at least a ten fold in comparison. Most of the programs are built first for WM and then ported.

And I do not think I am going back to SE ever, I am only thinking on how to get my hands on a TyTn II (I have the TyTN right now). And even though this was a refurb, I still have NO issues with the screen, keyboard, build, camera, and all. Any problems that I had were related to third party software. ONLY. period.

And until somebody comes up with a better alternative to WINDOWS, in general, be that Vista, Office, Outlook, Windows Mobile, we will all use WINDOWS products, because these products, as much I would like not to be true, are still the best in class.

[ This Message was edited by: kalu on 2007-12-05 12:02 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 13:13
Kalu, I agree with you, but just to repeat - there's nothing wrong with the handwriting recognition either! It's good to have choice, and the Tytn for me gives you the best of both worlds, and a few others besides.

The application support is, as you say, phenomenal also.
MattJ
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 13:52
For me, have not feel the W960 in my hands so no comments there. Am using Tytn II currently so I can share my experience here. Good business phone, good GPS, overall a 9 out of 10. However if you're serious 'bout your music, invest in a Shuffle, Touch or Iphone. Walkman phones are good but I still rate ipods as better for MP3 or any music formats. Did try stereo bluetooth using my Itech r35 with my Tytn II, sounds OK. Again, testing with no enhancement to format and using 192kbps.
himlims_nl
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 14:25

On 2007-12-05 12:57:54, kalu wrote:
I don't get one thing. Why is everybody so adamant about the hand writing recognition on TyTN? Who uses it anyway? Did you all know that there is keyboard with it?

i used handwrinting ALOT with my p910/p990 since ít feels quite natural, and for some notes you don't want to use the keypad/qwerty
[T65/T68/T610/T630/W810/K610/K700/K750/P800/P910/P990/K850] - [ Esato Knowledge database ]
how can i be at your service?
ambyzown
W902 Red
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 14:27
My simple opinion is this;
W960 is music oriented, with a bit of business and extras
TyTN is a Business oriented device with a bit of music and extras
Decide what best suits your needs, and buy it.
No one can tell you whats best for you.
I love the TyTN, but it'll be a waste of money for me, because I live in Nigeria where there's no GPS mapping, plus 60% of 3rd party WM applications available out there do not really make sense to me. So for me, the W960i is my ideal phone. Whats yours?
Let go and let God
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic