Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Nokia N82 or P1? For use for camera, music, ROM gaming, Internet, in USA

Author Nokia N82 or P1? For use for camera, music, ROM gaming, Internet, in USA
okalyddude
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-28 16:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I had a new p1 for a few months, and loved it. Then it was stolen and im quite sad. im in turkey and doubt very much the cops will come up with anything at all. also i found out my supplemental insurance i purchased is quite worthless, covering nothing at all especially theft. i will sell the insurance (its on a card for 500 dollars and 4 years and i havent activated it yet anyway) and purchase a new phone with a REAL insurance plan that covers accidents and theft etc.

First of all, any recomendations on the plan? Best deals, best coverage, etc, i want theft and accidents, international etc.

Next, im deciding between another p1 and a n82

I live in the USA but expect to be traveling a bit over the next few years. I wasnt too concerned about the lack of edge on the p1 because i can save money by not having a real phone plan and using wlan for internet. But now I see that the n82 has edge as well as the new HSPDA.

Where all is this hspda that everyone is raving about? I take it that it is quite a good deal faster, but how are the rates for such high internet usage? I sadly dont know as much as i should about 3g stuff... If its going to cost too much i might as well stick to just prepaid sims and wlan. Anyone using a p1 in the USA just let me know how its working. I know that tmobile has decent coverage, so my plan was to just wait for the network to improve to see if the equivalant of EDGE that the p1 has (whats it called?) comes to the USA, and just using wlan and prepaid cards for communications...

Also, how is internet browsing on devices like the n82? It was great on the p1, you could type emails and search, click on links with the touch screen etc. Is that bit in the middle of the n82 a joystick type thing, or simply a middle button with four buttons around it? Theres no jog dial like on the p1, so what is the system for moving up and down and around the screen quickly, selecting new things, zooming etc.

How about typing? Is it simply the normal old t9 predictive text and nothing more? Might be good to have the n82 and be connected all the time to the internet back in the states, but i would want the p1 keyboard to chat and browse internet with!

Also it may seem silly, but ROM gaming is important. I got rid of my mp3 player, gameboy advance, etc to use this as an all in one. The p1 with plenty of buttons was good for this (applications still coming and still improving - gba one for instance still lacks the ability to code a button twice so you can use QW for up both and ZX for down both and AS for left right, letting you go diagnol easy.. but i told them)

How is this on the n82 with many fewer buttons? i suppose you could ignore diagnols and just do simple gaming.. what about the middle dial thing? or the ones next to it for connect and disconnect, are those two buttons each? etc.. dunno if anyone with a new n82 has even tried yet.

The camera is fairly important, and one reason i was considering the change. 5mp is important, but people have mentioned that sony cameras tend to be better than nokia? this true of fanboy talk? They seem to be about the same in specs... And the xenon flash would be nice.

And the memory slot expansion, I assume that both the p1 and the n82 will both be able to be upgraded to the maximum possible of 32gig when it comes out in a year or two?

have to scram for now thanks for any help and sorry for bad typing.. turkish keyboard and broken wrist

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2007-12-04 01:06 ]
Gunnut
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-28 17:09
Basically the P1i supports 3G. But that doesn't work in the USA, as the US chose to implement 3G on another frequency, so your P1i can't receive the 3G signals. So that means you're stuck on 2G, as the P1i doesn't support EDGE.

HSDPA is 3.5G, literally 10x faster than 3G. 3G supports up to 384kbps download (i think, someone confirm), whilst HSDPA can support up to 14.4Mbps when its fully deployed. I don't think USA even have it yet, and even if they do, again its probably on a frequency thats unique to the Americas.

the N82 supports 2G, EDGE, UTMS 2100 (3G), 3.5G. I think in the US you're topping out at EDGE. On the other hand, you're forced to downgrade to a 2G connection on the P1i, so I think you should get the N82.

In my opinion, there's more software, Wi-Fi g, faster speeds (if you travel out of America), 5 Megapixel camera, AND the 3.5mm slot. I think it's a better deal overall...
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-28 19:41
I agree. Unless you want the keyboard, the touchscreen, and copy&paste (and better battery- life) - it's the n82.
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
tesssst
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-28 19:49
On a slightly other note:
Have you tried the IMEI - Cops and the Mobile Provider - the thieves could change the IMEI , but who knows - they might be dumb enough not to do so
P.s. 3G and especially HSDPA is a no no in the USA and will probably be for another year or two ...They are pretty slow over there

[ This Message was edited by: tesssst on 2007-11-28 18:51 ]
okalyddude
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-29 13:07
Yeah.. thats the thing is that i dıd quıte enjoy the keyboard of the p1, ıts just everythıng else that entıces me on the n82.. any actual expected dates for the p5? thats more close to what ı wanted heh..

so who has used a n82 or n95 etc and can comment on the web browsıng ease?

and you mentıoned software, ıs there a lot more for the n serıes symbıan than for uıq3? shouldnt ıt be a relatıvely easy port between?
okalyddude
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-29 13:19
asıde from waıtıng for the p5, wouldnt mınd the openmoko (when a cool stable model ıs out) or the google phone..
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-29 20:56
the P5i? Six months, a year? Anyway, s60 does have a lot more programs, and games. Not sure about whether the processor helps with the java- implementation that much, but the s60 devices definitively are faster and more responsive on some things because of the better processor. Stability, probably not too bad after the newer firmware.

On the porting - you would have to redo the coding process, so it's time- consuming (and boring). More developers are starting to set up duplicated coding trails, though.

But if you're worried about the programs and so on - look around, and find out what platforms have available what you think you need. And then it's easier to choose between what limitations you can live with. And I mean, it's not like one of these devices are superior to the others on everything.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
jortiz1200
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-30 13:07
just for the record we (usa) have had 3g/hsdpa for over a year now,although its 1900/800mhz. unfortunately ,if you want a smartphone that suports triband 3g you will have to go with windows mobile ( for example tytnll)
honestly though if you love the touch/keyboard etc of the p1 i would stay with that(cheaper to aprox 200.00) ive been using a m600i/p1i for the last year and a half in the us and i have no problems using ALL the features on the devises. activesync over 2g (24 7)and im always close to wifi if i need to stream/download large attachments, and web browsing. although the opera browser is good for browsing over 2g. also remember batterie life is longer on the p1.

[ This Message was edited by: jortiz1200 on 2007-11-30 12:15 ]
okalyddude
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-30 13:21
yeah, actually speakıng of the tytn ii ı thınk ı am consıderıng goıng wıth that ınstead. a lıttle bıt less from the camera, no flash (but the non xenon flash ıs pretty poıntless anyway, ı can just not use ıt at nıght) bıgger keyboard etc.. touchscreen stıll..

a quıck q - does ıt have buılt ın gps or ıs thıs somethıng you add? also the servıces assocıated wıth usıng ıt, are those free, free for a year, etc?

ım goıng to post ın the wındows mobıle forum, but fıgure ı can ask here.. what are the advantages to dısatvantages? ı want skype and am tıred of waıtıng for ıt for uıq3, so thats one bonus.. ıll look ınto other apps and emulators etc.. any comments? anyone used both kaıser and the p1? ı thınk ıts a good optıon for US and travel wıth connectıvıty and has everythıng else ı want.. mıght even be better for emulators.. my maın questıon ıs swıtch to wındows mobıle
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-03 19:22
Get the N82, is far better than the P1.
better processor, better battery, better software library
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-04 00:57
That's probably right.. except the p1 lasts a lot longer on the same usage.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 01:49
@Nipsen

Really why do you say that? as the N82 has Demand Paging that both improves battery life as well as Ram usage and OS speed, so just why would the P1 offer better battery life then? other than of course it's from SE.

As the Nokia Battery is a BP-6MT 1050mAh whilst the SE is a BST-40 1020mAh so actually has less to start with and doesn't have Demand Paging that improves battery life by approximately 25%. So i would be really interested to know just how this smaller battery is going to outperform the other then.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-12-04 01:11 ]
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 04:42
okalyddude:

if you want touchscreen phone I suggest you stick with a WM. Lots more programs. If you want a multimedia device with everything thrown in get the N82. P1i is just so yesterday with its outdated cpu, wifi-b only, no-edge and the confusing and user unfriendly UIQ3.

Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-04 07:35
@Dogmann: because.. that's how it is? We're talking about the n82 giving out after a day on 1h calls, 30 mins web and 30 mins e-mail checking, plus some fifteen minutes games, and an hour music. On the same usage the p1 lasts you at least twice that, if you use 3g, and leave wlan enabled all the time, and accidentally let your mp3- player run an extra few hours if you forgot to turn it off while you made dinner. If you're a bit more economical, and fiddle a bit with the settings, you can predictably make it last around four days on that use (which is considered "light", when it comes to an m600 or a p1).

...And don't get me started on the demand paging, dogmann. (Although I swear I will, if you mention it again. ) Besides, the advertised up to 20% increase in battery life was obtained in some way by comparing the battery life on the n95 before the last firmware update, and the n95 after the update (which is the same software, generally, as what's on the n82). And therefore says little else than that yes, just as I and several others have said - it's perfectly possible to optimise a symbian- system a lot better than what nokia had done initially on s60. And that this suggests how well made and efficient UIQ3 is (at least in that respect). The processor and the bandwidth on the board might have something to do with too, of course.

I suppose it's not what you want to hear, but it's true, nevertheless.

But, in return, s60 is quicker on some things. Maybe not necessarily the menu- flipping - but the system is arguably easier to handle than either UIQ and WM, it has more connectivity options (which might be a plus), and some programs definitively run better. At least on the latest firmware.

(...which turned up over a year after the initial release of the product, which still has hangs and critical bugs - and by the way - do you see any UIQ evangelists gloating about how nokia spent a year to get their system to work - well, at least for a certain value of teapot? Or do they go around parading on s60 forums saying that nokia launched a beta- product at their customers, and that this proves how nokia couldn't care less about quality as long as the customers buy their crap. Which the customers will get, since they buy it regardless of how bad it is? And that the nokia marketing division should be drawn and quartered for outright lying? As well as that their apple- style blog- o- sphere stings are so desperate only nokia- customers would be stupid and incurious enough to fall for the perpetual "THIS UNIT IS PERFECT, BUY ANOTHER ONE NOW, NOW THAT EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY!"

Sadly no. Instead you see disgruntled nokia- users bashing other phones for not being nokia, which apparently is perfect, or at least better than SE in every respect - regardless of use and preference, no matter how anyone insists they have other priorities. Now what does that tell you? Apart from how nokia- users aren't like other phone- users, I mean..)

*sigh* Anyway.. so it's a question of what you're looking for, obviously - and none of these units are perfect. People saying that are full of crap, and should be dismissed as the idiots they are. But some units are better than others in, perhaps important, ways.

[ This Message was edited by: Nipsen on 2007-12-04 06:53 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 08:32
@Mib:

confusing and user unfriendly UIQ3.

another post that shows your emotionally based judgements towards SE have you held/used a UIQ 3 for a matter of time, seriously? many UIQ users especially from esato had reported WM being less optimized for TS than UIQ and UIQ had better input capabilities than WM. that's what you call confusing and unuser-friendly
10 years at Esato
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi