Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Questions to SE's President - Answers!

Author Questions to SE's President - Answers!
dr_thug
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 04:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
NO word on P990??I think it was the first and most anticipated question.
Diplomatic and useless answers as ever.

New CEO is no different from old one.

>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 04:28

On 2008-03-01 04:23:22, dr_thug wrote:

Most CEO's are the same! Business is business.....

carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 05:40

The P990 questions have been directed to the appropriate department. Probably to the people responsible for your 'misery' in the first place. Patience please you'll get your answers.

As for diplomatic and useless answers, some of those questions were a bit rude to be quite frank. No reflection on Mizzle though who had a great idea, copped alot of flack and still saw it through. Well done!
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-01 06:14
those were staright questions and very well based imo, dont see an problems with it...

Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
azzix
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 08:17
Well, it's good he at least answered some questions. Even if it doesn't say what we really wanted to hear. I think that SE underestimated the questions that would be asked and also is very aware of how few people actually knew of the questions and were awaiting answers. So this was very low priority for them.

The fact that it didn't go so well unfortunately means we won't see this "public interview" thing spread. Which would have been interesting not only for SE, but for companies in general.

On the answers themself, when he says consumers don't want feature phone he quite right. But, I'd add consumers don't want complex features-but there are some advanced features, like Apple's finger touch screen that are very enticing.

Which brings me to the most disappointing answer, the one about innovation. But it seems that they answered better at Barcelona. Innovations is slow but steady. SE(or other mobile manufacturers) don't like to risk. Even Apple, which has tons of fanboys didn't meet their sales goal with their highly innovative product.

Which is more bad news because it means no one will make an iPhone that's done right(only Samsung and LG are even trying, but not good enough). I'm done expecting a SE iPhone(or Nokia for the matter) for at least another year. And Apple will only realease iPhone 2 in the same spirit as the first, so no use.

One small hope for us: G900.

[ This Message was edited by: azzix on 2008-03-01 07:18 ]
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 08:49
Guys, stop being so pessimistic! Maybe they do have something big in plan...
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-01 09:01

On 2008-03-01 05:40:39, carkitter wrote:

The P990 questions have been directed to the appropriate department. Probably to the people responsible for your 'misery' in the first place. Patience please you'll get your answers.

As for diplomatic and useless answers, some of those questions were a bit rude to be quite frank. No reflection on Mizzle though who had a great idea, copped alot of flack and still saw it through. Well done!

How was any of those questions rude? Care to elaborate?
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 10:46

On 2008-03-01 09:01:57, QVGA wrote:

How was any of those questions rude? Care to elaborate?

" Question number 3

Mr. Komiyama

It seems SE has been so preoccupied (1) with producing low level phones to increasing market share and you have unacceptable delay to producing high level phones (2) such as N95, iPhone, U600, Prada, Armani and also Adidas phones rivals. This policy affected your market share growth also. (3) Why don’t you push the consumers to your SE great products as you did it before by producing innovative products?"

This is not a dumb CSR from the local network provider, but the President of a large high profile company owned by 2 multinationals.

Point one: SE's strategy to broaden its portfolio was deliberate not accidental and has succeded in increasing it sales significantly. They don't need our permission to develop new strategies.

Point two: Big assumption here. Who says there is a delay in producing rivals for the aforementioned phones. SE may not even be moving into those areas. Since when do SE follow everyone else?

Point three: Market share shot upwards! Sales rose approx 25% to over 100,000,000. Clearly this person hasn't got a full grasp of the facts, thats why the words "your opinion" appear in the reply.

The questions regarding P990 problems were worse. I don't wish to get into a debate over how SE customers have or haven't been treated and it appears neither did Mr Komiyama.

"Innovation in styling comes from innovation in packaging" - Gordon Murray

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-03-01 09:52 ]
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 10:55

On 2008-03-01 04:16:24, carkitter wrote:

You're pretty lucky to have spotted a Voda branded K750/W800 in the wild! When I lost my K700, I went to buy a W800 and after looking at the dummy phone on display, the shop attendant said they had none in stock and none available at the supplier. I bought a V800 instead. Never saw the K750 in a Vodafone shop in Auckland.

I've met several owners of K700, V800, V630, V600, P990, Z600; none with W800 and one with K750 - an imported version.

Wow that's weird, My local Vodafone stores both had K750i dummies with available stock. One of them had a working example of a W800i set up, which I had a quick go on. I've seen a few K750i's around, but they truly are rare here. The W800i seemed slightly more common. My girlfriend's brother bought a W800i from Farmers just last year. It was discontinued and discounted at the time, but it shows they did have it in stock.

In regard to the questions here, I agree with carkitter also. Some of them (the one above in particular) do seem quite rude, and I think that in his replies, you can sense he is offended or regretting giving the opportunity to ask questions. I would regret it too.

[ This Message was edited by: Muhammad-Oli on 2008-03-01 09:56 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 11:41
I'm glad he did reply as it gives us an insight into the mind that will be steering the ship for the foreseeable future.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 16:08
Back temporarily to post some comments on the answer to the ten questions which I found quite underwhelming (though understandably expected).

Unfortunately one of my comments were deemed to extreme and bias so so had to be deleted *censored* from the blog...

Anyway, a summary of my thoughts on everything (main points in bold):
----------------------------------------
Finally! Thanks Mr Komiyama (and Michell as well).

I’m not completely satisfied with the answers, though then again, there’s only so much that you can expect a CEO to say about his company.

eg. In response to (my) Q5, it seems a tad arrogant from SE to say that they know ‘all’, despite the fact that iPhone has managed to be the world’s most desirable phone.

@Michell
Fingers crossed that they’re the right thing, because from the responses that we received, it seems as though SE is either becoming complacent or arrogant.

Mr Komiyama compared gesture control (which is, for the most part, a gimmicky feature) and PlayNow being comparable to the iPhone’s intuitive interface, web browser and mobile iTunes. I mean, it’s fairly obvious who knew more about what consumers wanted last year in terms of the mobile business.

I guess I’m just not satisfied with the fact that SE/Mr. Komiyama didn’t direct answer the question, which was basically the iPhone and what SE is going to do.

deleted post
I'm sorry for upsetting you Michell - I honestly didn't think you'd be so sensitive to what I said, but honestly, I'm only giving credit where credit's due.

And yeah, I do have problems with SE, but that doesn't mean that I have no qualms with Apple or any other manufacturer. I was only using the iPhone because that's exactly what was asked in the question - the comments section is mean for commenting on the article right? Instead we got an answer which skirted around the issue.

And please, don't be so aggressive when replying to people's comments. You're only discouraging people from commenting in the future - in fact I'm still quite shocked by the way you responsed to be honest.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 16:22
Yeah... maybe Mizzle was a bit on the harsh side... but from I read, I see that you had been warned (one way or another).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic