Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE W910-Not a Music Phone-Review-Latest shocking update

Previous  123 456 ... 101112  Next
Author SE W910-Not a Music Phone-Review-Latest shocking update
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 15:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

Well said aksd when MR where giving great reviews of great SE products everyone was saying what great reviews they were giving now they are no longer praising SE for delivering second rate solutions. You are all like crap review when in reality, sorry guys but it is SE that is slipping and slipping fast they really are no longer excelling in any area and that really needs to change. Sorry they are excelling in one area low end budget devices whoop dee do.

As for the suggestion that it's not a problem as modders will come up with better drivers etc, sorry but that is just ridiculous just how many people that buy them will even attempt or know about it? Not even everyone on Forums like this will so the average consumer certainly won't and here is a novel idea if as you say modders can get it to perform better shouldn't SE be able to? and before release not after.

It really makes me laugh when some of you say it's not that bad well it's also not that good and if a device has the Walkman logo isn't that meant to mean it excels at Music not just does an adequate job at best. So now some of you are saying it's just a fashion statement, WTF are you people really that crazy and forgiving of anything SE fails at. No wonder SE treat there customers so badly when most of you just suck it up and continue to praise them. Maybe it's all your faults that SE standards have dropped as if you don't care why should they.

Some here are defending SE on nothing more than an emotional level you want and believe SE to always deliver the best irrespective of the facts. Wake up and smell the coffee the great SE is no more and if they don't change soon they will disappear into mediocrity if they haven't already.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-15 14:03 ]
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 15:05

But remember a comany is on the market for money and profits

yes they have to make profits,but only when they deliver good products,and when there is really a value for money.And if they continue with this type of offering, and looking at their strategy there much left to desire!!

the same is said in review to
company needs to turn this negative ,If this is drifted in a year’s time the sales of Walkman-branded phones get on a downswing and they won’t be turning heads any more .
SilveR.
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 15:51
W880 it's a design phone, same as W910. That's it. both are very slim, only a logo dosent say it's not a design phone..

About the sound quality it's still better than my old W880i, both are walkman phones..

---------------------
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-15 16:19
@arunvc

I will give you one example, I have a lot of contacts in the cellphone industry in Bangalore. I do a bit of work for some cellphone companies on and off and am in close contact with the Moto, SE and Nokia service center and marketing reps, so basically I have most of the sales figures for every month of each manufacturer for the entire state. A freind of mine works in this retail store where they've sold 30 W580s over the last week, how many do you think come onto this site? how many do you actually think would even install a single java app or a theme? about 5 to 10 max out of that 30 and thats about it. Worlwide that might rise to about 10-15, the rest want a good looking phone that plays MP3s and takes pics they can view on their screens, many dont even use comps and thats India, second largest maket for cellphones worldwide, the only reason nokia is staying ahead of the competition in sales because they've got India and China to a lesser extent wrapped up well and good. So my point after the long off topic post is that SE do NOT care about you or me or the power users at this moment, they care about numbers, and from what I can see they're getting them. Last month Nokia sold 1,00,000 + phones in Karnataka alone with SE behind then at 35K moto at 6K, last year it was about 12K for SE at the same time, so basically they're moving forward.

I am not blindly supporting SE but what I'm saying is the W910 is for a target audience if you're not one of them, fine dont buy it, if somebody else feels its what he/she wants let them buy it, everybody does'nt judge the product as per your views. Eg: Nothing Nokia or SE have to offer me interests me in the least bit, I want something powerful therefore I just bought a TyTyn 2 and my ROKR E6 is my backup running a heavily modified linux OS, nothing SE or Nokia come close to in terms of OS speed/moddability or stability.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 16:35
Wow!

I never thought I'd see the day when diehards would be crying out for to draw further from Sony's expertise and beef up the music phones it is offering.

Whats the world coming to?

I completely agree though that they could do more with the Walkman range. The W910i, although pricey, is by no means the best music-phone. They could/should do much better.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 10:35
@goldenface

What Sony expertise is that than branding and marketing and charging a premium price for a Sony badge? as opposed to Ericsson's technical know how and now gone reputation for innovation and quality.

Personally i would rather have a less good looking device that performed and functioned as it should and that offered the latest and greatest spec's, than good looking mediocrity.

Ericsson used to use B&O speakers and microphones just imagine an Ericsson Music Phone with the B&O ice package instead of Samsung now that would be worthy of a serious Music player label.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-16 09:37 ]
Tiebreak
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 12:57
@Dogmann

Why should we have to choose between looks or functionality? One would think that SE would be able to supply the "India - China" market at the same time as they develop top of the line devices?!

That's not the case unfortunately. SE had their glory days when they released the w800i in 2005. W800i is still a better device then lots of the devices the release today, by which I mean that the handset is comlpete with the best technology available at the time of the release.

I really wish SE would step it up and do some technology research and then release a Walkman-Cybershot slim design phone.

NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 13:48

On 2007-11-14 19:01:51, QVGA wrote:

On 2007-11-13 13:51:28, NightBlade wrote:
Another hater's thread. Seriously now, this is getting annoying.
W910 is one of the best phones out there and no one can convince me otherwise.

no one is bothering to convince someone who cant understand the difference in bad and good. your recent posts clearly show your level of maturity especially when you said W910 is a music phone all the way for the themes it has, which quite frankly is ludicrous.

N71 + 2GB MiniSD

[ This Message was edited by: QVGA on 2007-11-14 18:03 ]
\\
Can you just shut up?? You're seriously annoying me.

PS. You seem to have forgotten that a phone is not just about the camera or the speakers, it's about the overall experience.
In other words - call me again ludicrous and you will experience the avalanche of words that is my vocabulary.

Thanks.
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-16 14:10

On 2007-11-16 13:48:13, NightBlade wrote:

On 2007-11-14 19:01:51, QVGA wrote:

On 2007-11-13 13:51:28, NightBlade wrote:
Another hater's thread. Seriously now, this is getting annoying.
W910 is one of the best phones out there and no one can convince me otherwise.

no one is bothering to convince someone who cant understand the difference in bad and good. your recent posts clearly show your level of maturity especially when you said W910 is a music phone all the way for the themes it has, which quite frankly is ludicrous.

N71 + 2GB MiniSD

[ This Message was edited by: QVGA on 2007-11-14 18:03 ]

Can you just shut up?? You're seriously annoying me.

PS. You seem to have forgotten that a phone is not just about the camera or the speakers, it's about the overall experience.
In other words - call me again ludicrous and you will experience the avalanche of words that is my vocabulary.

Thanks.

you are ludicrous buddy, you really are, and its been proven by yourself quite a few times, for eg when you say 3.5mm slots make phones thicker especially Nokia. Have you not seen the N76 or 5310 which is 9mm thick? Get your facts straight, think about your vocabulary later.

N71 + 2GB MiniSD

[ This Message was edited by: QVGA on 2007-11-16 13:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: QVGA on 2007-11-16 13:18 ]
SilveR.
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 14:33
Get HPM70 you get both mic and a 3.5mm. Why complain that lot. you don't like it don't buy the phone

And some one did say, better with less good looking, pump it with more spec. That's not correct, because majority buyers a phone with a good design. minority want phone with high spec. That's not much.. We all know what happens to Ericsson when they did choose spec before design... That's old story...

---------------------
swordliger
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 01:25
just to let you guys all know, GSM ARENA just reviewed the phone.

...and finally some fair comments about it !
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 09:44
Gsmarena & Mobile Review Give some what similar opinion

W910i under pressure

Some of W910 features are true high-end stuff: the quality display, elaborate music features, exquisite design, fast performance and 3G capabilities. Those however coexist with painfully familiar features and applications we've been getting in downright midrange handsets]. Too much compromise to put up with in this price range and the tag on W910 is likely to get even the brand loyals a bit reserved. Nokia and Samsung seem to prepare a handful of cool music offerings in this price range too, while their non-music oriented handsets too have good music players. Despite the rich sales package, including a 1GB M2 card and the cool M2 USB reader, the W910 will be under pressure, as price is the ultimate decisive factor in this increasingly competitive market.

Note:Nokia and Samsung seem to prepare a handful of cool music offerings in this price range too, while their non-music oriented handsets too have good music players-This indirectly means something!!!,

From Mobile-Review
Probably, after spotting the Walkman logo, some will imagine its sound-related marvels, but sadly these are only dreams and groundless thoughts On every single blind test, the Sony Ericsson’s product ended up behind the Ultra Music and the XPressMusic solutions.

[ This Message was edited by: arunvc on 2007-11-17 08:47 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-17 09:55
SE is still in the euphoria that was caused by the W800's sales. They better get out of it quickly.
KopStar
W910 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-17 11:29
I've just read the review on GSMArena, having just bought the phone yesterday, and I think that it was a very fair opinion of the W910i.

I thought that for what the phone does and the features that it has, it is slightly overpriced (but I managed to get the phone sim-free from CPW for £250).

I can tell you now that the external speakers are piss-poor, to be really honest. I did a comparison of the speakers with my girlfriend's K810i, and the K810i was noticeably superior!

But that doesn't really matter to me, cos' I'm not one of those odious kids who sits at the back of the bus blasting 'tunes' [read: bullshit]

I had been debating whether to get the Nokia N81 or the W910i, but eventually settled on the W910i for the following reasons.

- Fast UI (for a dumbphone)
- Size
- Reliability
- Price (well, my price anyways )

I was sorely tempted by the N81, but I couldn't bring myself to buy another Nokia N-Series phone.

For me, the S60 OS is still a little immature... I found it to be a bit buggy when I used N-series phones; I think that Nokia are VERY close to having the OS spot-on, but until stupid things are sorted out:

- first name last name reversed when receiving a text [WHY?];
- fullscreen wallpaper (I'm not creating a theme just to have a decent looking picture of my son on my phone!);
- correct handling of Bluetooth transfers (either an option to save the file to a location on receipt or categorisation of message types)
- a decent active standby screen (if S40 phones can have one, why not S60?)

I won't be buying one just yet...

And before I get flamed by Nokia fanboys baying for blood, let me state the following: I have had 7 phones in 3 years and i have also worked for a phone company for the past 2 years.

I previously had the N80, the N73 and N95, none of which I held on past 3 months:

- N80 - Poor battery, even after firmware updates
- N73 - after 3 repairs, still reset itself EVERY time I got a call;
- N95 - poor battery for a phone of it's capabilities. slow UI;

... and the thing that pissed me off the most about Nokia was that the Nokia N95 seemed to be rushed out in Europe, then 6 months, brought out the same phone in the US with nearly all of the issues fixed!

So, I supposed what I am trying to say here is that:

- the W910i is a decent, if not spectacular phone;
- the speakers ARE crap for a music-centric phone;
- Nokia have the hardware for the N81 almost spot on;
- ...but they just need to get there on the phone software side!

Does anyone if the issues with the speaker are something that could be fixed in a firmware update?

[UPDATE]: Just to add that I have had the phone for less than 24 hours and the speakers crackle... I also compared the speakers to my K810i... and the K810i's are BETTER... Thinking cap on, I think...

[ This Message was edited by: temporal_dragon on 2007-11-17 11:01 ]
DarkKrypt
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-17 12:06

temporal_dragon wrote:
- the speakers ARE crap for a music-centric phone;

i thought this was a alkman phone - first thing
everyone one assumes even myself -but im happy with how loud it is anyway:)-
that walkman phones should have the loudest speaker, pity..they dont.

music-centric phone aKa multimedia(phone that has stereo speakers and is bloody loud) im guessing since nokia n81 and a few dozen of nokia phones have stereo speakers which are bloody loud
lets not forget a 3.5 jack
which can be great but in the long run make sure you got a gold tipped head -your headphone-

If we may go now through gallery lane
can we:)
Walkman

^Sony NWE003FB - 1GB MP3 (ive got the blue one of this baby:))

^sony drag 'n' drop - one of the best

^and the love are made of

Now! for loud stereo speakers,we have
Sony Boombox

also dont have a soundchip right?
ive got to say thats impressive..to a point.

what im trying to say walkman phones possibly wont be made with stereo/speakers that are loud, they are made for people on the move who'd like to listen to music/watch a movie(w910) in their own private area and or time
if the need be for loud stereo speakers -which i see makin in the future- they will probably brand it bOOm! or something lol just kidding
just my opinion enjoy

[ This Message was edited by: DarkKrypt on 2007-11-17 11:09 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 101112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic