Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > P800 vs Neonode

Author P800 vs Neonode
jyrgen_no1
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 03:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If you want info about neo take a look at www.mobil.se it's a swe page but its info. Neo got poly camera and a media player who can play video and mp3 and it got a speaker so you can hear the call loud

This post was posted from a T68i

zol
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 13:14
As some basis for this discussion, see Neonode hardware specifications here:
http://www.neonode.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=68
pooass
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 14:07
Titanium, you don't seem to know what companies are about. They don't manufacture mobiles as an hobby! SE is just failing to be profitable in that area and you just don't want to see it that way.

If you haven't noticed, Ericcson's network sales are going down also. For example Nokia is worlds largest 3G network manufacturer.

You also think too highly of ericcsons role in developing GSM, hah! Maybe you'll provide some facts to back your pitifull claims.

You say "that nobody really makes any real buck selling mobiles any longer"
Are you stupid or do you just pretend to be? What do you think Nokia is doing? Big bucks selling mobiles, that's what it is doing. Open your eyes and enter the real world! Obiously you think that SE is everybody. In that case you are right, nobody makes money selling mobiles =D

I got the best laughs from this piece of stupidity:
"Nokia too is barely struggling to keep their figures in green area and they too reported losses last year - forgot about that already?
"

Nokia hasn't made losses, or do you think that reduced winnings equals to losses? Nokia mobile phones has been easily profitable for a loooong time and stays that way, no matter how you want to see it.

SE is going under, no matter how much you disagree.

Quote:

On 2002-12-13 23:54, Titanium wrote:
First of all - let's leave our mothers our of this.
Second, loss-making is only the cell-making Ericsson which is supposed to generate only 10% of all revenues anyway...call that an optional hobby.
=THE= Ericsson is about everything else that you don't see on the shelves. You should know that. Ericsson is an inventor and manufacturer of a backbone and an endless list of licensed technology vital to every single cell networks exiting today in the world. GSM without Ericsson, quite simply, would not have existed today. Imagine a PC without an OS or a CPU , as shi**y as such analogy can be.
Sony on the other hand is not in this equation. It is a giant by every definition of the term whose yearly revenues top the budget of many countries, yes, including ours (!) I'm sure you know that too. They entered the mobile making market very late and lacked experience (certainly not resources), hence they turned to Ericsson financially troubled cell dept. in hope to create this perfect marriage of knowledge and dollar.
Fact is, Faca, that nobody really makes any real buck selling mobiles any longer. Golden days are over. Nokia too is barely struggling to keep their figures in green area and they too reported losses last year - forgot about that already?
There are simply too many players on the market producing and selling mobiles for peanuts. SE is one of the rare companies that still focuses on -quality- tech. products over -quantity-. While it might be a visionary policy long term, it is probably an outdated one as I doubt that it will survive in current world reality. Market is waaaay oversaturated with asian dump technology and it all seems that people don't care for professional products for classes and go instead with funky plastic gadgets for masses. This is precisely why SE doesn't stand a chance unless some profound philosophy changes take place immediately.
I doubt it though that an elimination of the competition and creation of monopolies can do any good to the development of technology.
I personally dread the day when all telephones I'll be able to choose from will be labeled as Nokia or any other XXXX brand.

That will be a very sad day indeed.

gadgetboytom
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-16 14:13
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/ce.net/evaluation/overview/default.asp

check this link to see more neonode possibilitys

its very simlar to symban 7
P1i and E51
Informer
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 14:16
Folks,
just forget about this Neonode thing.
It will never happen.
Develop a phone is one thing, and they'll probably have a couple of units actually working.
But then comes the marketing part, I mean they need to get this thing to the markets in order to have some revenue, right?
A phone is not a "walkman", it's a radio device transmitting&receiving with other companies networks, on countries radio frequencies (every country gouverns the "air" in terms of frequencies, which is strictly regulated).

So they need type approval, for each country (like FCC in USA), which costs money and requires personel.
And they need "operator acceptance" from basically every operator, since the operators won't allow that an untested phone is being used on their network, it can cause disturbancies and corrupt their system (which apperantly has happend with 7210, it works ok with some operators and it's not ok with others.. which is normal, It's just that the 7210 problems seems to have been noticed rather late by some operator(s)), which costs money and requires personel.
Then they need A LOT environmental declarations and documents, different requirements from each country, different warranty laws in each country like; ISO9000 certified supply chain, CE marking, full recycling plan, "made in Taiwan" not allowed in China, a lot of testing documented to ensure no small parts can fall of and harm children, no harmful or banned substances....it just goes on.

Taking in account that Neonode's head count is 15, makes me doubt about their success.. To achieve their goal they'll need twice as many.. in every market! They'll need lawyers taking care of legal affairs and IPO issues, they'll need a big staff just checking patent data bases to ensure they've not accidentially used any patented solution somewhere, a simple Motorola phone is covered with thosands of patents.. and all SE's Nokia's Siemens' Samsung's..

Develop the thing is the simple part!

gadgetboytom
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-16 14:26
Yes very good point
P1i and E51
jalu
W550 red
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 15:33
Totally ruined my enthusiasm now

Jalu
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 16:26
Quote:
Folks,
It will never happen.

Oh, please... Some of you people just can't accept the fact that there is a better device than the P800, admit it. The Neonode N1 IS happening, whether you like it or not.

Freak
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 16:32
Quote:

On 2002-12-16 16:26, faca wrote:
Quote:
Folks,
It will never happen.

Oh, please... Some of you people just can't accept the fact that there is a better device than the P800, admit it. The Neonode N1 IS happening, whether you like it or not.

hmm, ofcourse i belive the neonode will be a VERY god phone! but i personaly don´t think its in the same sort of mobile as p800.
both phone have there + and -!
P800:
+ bigg screen
- has to be big becuse there must be room for th screen

neonode:
+smal and a god screen¨
- smaler screen then p800, but then the phone can be smaler.

just se the fact, the phones are diffrents and has both + and -!
Speed kills, but you get there faster!
gadgetboytom
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-16 16:37
Faca

do you agree with anything?

P1i and E51
woltran
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 16:54
SE, nokia, siemens ,ipaq,samsung,toshiba and there are lots of company(all of them are big companies) cant do a phone like N1.

500EURO!!! hehe it is funny.dont forget their first device..

WHY NEONODE CAN DO İT,İ DONT BELİEVE NEONODE!!!!!
woltran
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 16:55
SE, nokia, siemens ,ipaq,samsung,toshiba and there are lots of company(all of them are big companies) cant do a phone like N1.

500EURO!!! hehe it is funny.dont forget; n1 is their first device..

WHY NEONODE CAN DO İT,İ DONT BELİEVE NEONODE!!!!!
Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 17:09
It's all in the execution, isn't it? Good luck to Neonode, but if you guys think a small company is gonna crush Nokia and SE at their own game, think again. I just hope this company doesnt end up like Magcom, who also had a good product, but their product execution(marketing, launching, pricing, logistics) failed.

I have looked over the specs, and it doesnt seem like a bad phone at all. For my use though, it isn't interesting. The screen is way to small to use for serious PIM applications and Email sending. I also use bluetooth extensively. Third party apps probably will not be abundant either. This seems like a phone mostly aimed at the youth crowd, and honestly, they usually don't have that sort of money.

Good luck to you guys at Neonode, would be nice for some fresh ideas to get a foothold in the market. I have my doubts though.....

-Knut
ppcrockar
P990
PM
Posted: 2002-12-16 17:56
The NeoNode seems rather nice in my point of view. But I do prefer the P800 for almost the same reasons as Knut.G. Also I think that the screen of the NeoNode will become very dirty if you have to touch the screen with your fingers all the time...

I also agree with Knut.G. that NeoNode will have a though time selling the phone. The problem is that it's aimed at the younger person who doesn't have that kind of money. Another problem with that market is that young people buy Nokia, just beacause it has the Nokia name. They may look at other phones, and say that it is nice. But they never buy anything except Nokia. Just because of the name and that all their friends hav Nokias. Not that Nokia is better in anyway, it is just the brand that they buy. (At least the majority does this).

The P800 isn't aiming for this market. It's aiming for the "business market" or for people who want to replace their phone and PDA with one device.
brick
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2002-12-17 05:29
Quote:

On 2002-12-16 17:56, ppcrockar wrote:
The P800 isn't aiming for this market. It's aiming for the "business market" or for people who want to replace their phone and PDA with one device.

I find that comforting in a way. As long as they are profitable enough to carry on.

Neonode will be coming to a 7-eleven near you soon.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic