Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > P800 vs Neonode

Author P800 vs Neonode
Titanium
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-12-13 23:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
First of all - let's leave our mothers our of this.
Second, loss-making is only the cell-making Ericsson which is supposed to generate only 10% of all revenues anyway...call that an optional hobby.
=THE= Ericsson is about everything else that you don't see on the shelves. You should know that. Ericsson is an inventor and manufacturer of a backbone and an endless list of licensed technology vital to every single cell networks exiting today in the world. GSM without Ericsson, quite simply, would not have existed today. Imagine a PC without an OS or a CPU , as shi**y as such analogy can be.
Sony on the other hand is not in this equation. It is a giant by every definition of the term whose yearly revenues top the budget of many countries, yes, including ours (!) I'm sure you know that too. They entered the mobile making market very late and lacked experience (certainly not resources), hence they turned to Ericsson financially troubled cell dept. in hope to create this perfect marriage of knowledge and dollar.
Fact is, Faca, that nobody really makes any real buck selling mobiles any longer. Golden days are over. Nokia too is barely struggling to keep their figures in green area and they too reported losses last year - forgot about that already?
There are simply too many players on the market producing and selling mobiles for peanuts. SE is one of the rare companies that still focuses on -quality- tech. products over -quantity-. While it might be a visionary policy long term, it is probably an outdated one as I doubt that it will survive in current world reality. Market is waaaay oversaturated with asian dump technology and it all seems that people don't care for professional products for classes and go instead with funky plastic gadgets for masses. This is precisely why SE doesn't stand a chance unless some profound philosophy changes take place immediately.
I doubt it though that an elimination of the competition and creation of monopolies can do any good to the development of technology.
I personally dread the day when all telephones I'll be able to choose from will be labeled as Nokia or any other XXXX brand.

That will be a very sad day indeed.

Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 00:18
Ok guys, maybe you're being a little about this. I think that this Neonode thing is good to spice things up and speed up new releases (if they aren't bluffing) About SE, i have to agree that has been a little disappointing the way that the merge is going. This year delay of the p800 and no new releases on sight aren't helping.

This post was posted from a T68i

amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 07:46
Krubach> yes, the P800 sure has been delayed and it sucks for both us and SE. But they do have new phones coming they just haven't given any press releases about them yet. I highly believe that the T68 replacement will be something similar to the CDMA phone they are releasing in the US early 2003. SE also has a 3G clam shell phone in the works.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-14 09:31
i disagree with u on one issue:se is just like all other companies!they fobus on mass marketing,selling cheap phones with shity sw.they r alike dont kid ur self

This post was posted from a WAP device

Devilishcry
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 09:45
Quote:

I'd say that the over-hyped P800 is in a lot of trouble, it has been delayed for almost half a year and now when it is finally about to be released, an even better device appears which will be released around Feb '03. It is smaller, lighter, has a 64 MB SD card bundled and will cost only around 500$ while P800 will go for 800-1000$. I'd say that P800 is history and so is SE. I don't know about you, but I'm really disappointed with this Sony and Ericsson merger, I expected a lot more. But, I guess that when you put two losers together they will still be losers no matter what they do...

faca,
It is obvious that you just hate SE as I said before, so please get out of here because it is a SE discussion forum and we speak of SE as a beloved company for all the members of Esato. So please if you hate SE then *WE LOVE SE*. And stop making us sick with all your, (sorry to say) 'stupid posts', coz no one in this world, can deny that Ericsson is the top leader in mobile technology I SAY TECHNOLOGY NOT SALES. And even if they have the stupidest marketing policy in the world, its the innovative technology what makes a company unique, NOT some toys like what Nokia manufacture. If you like Nokia or any other brand whatsoever, then you can join those respective discussion forums. BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE LEAVE US ALONE AND STOP MAKING US SICK. GO PLAY WITH OTHER TOYS!! AND LET US ENJOY OUR OWN TOYS!! Sorry for being mean, but its over the limits...

If I Woke Up From My Dreams, I'd Rather Be Dead...
jac12
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 10:28
Re: Titaniaum

Could you please explain what you mean by:
1. That Nokia is struggling to make money

2. That they reported losses last year

This is news to me.
jalu
W550 red
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 12:21
@701

Hm. You make no sense.

"i disagree with u on one issue:se is just like all other companies!they fobus on mass marketing,selling cheap phones with shity sw.they r alike dont kid ur self "

No. Let us compare, for instance, Nokia and SonyEricsson.

Nokia flood markets with phones. They throw phones out with tiny, tiny differences.

Cases in point: Nokia 3310, Nokia 3330, Nokia 3360, Nokia 3390.
More in point: Nokia 6310i, Nokia 6340, Nokia 6360, Nokia 6370, Nokia 6385.

Whats the point in that? They have tiny little modifications and are released so they can flood the market.

However, seem to actually only release phones that are different.
Take a look at the website. There are two sets of duplicates as far as I can tell, so lets discuss these.

The t68 series. Yes, there are two t68s, the /m and the /i (I'm not mentioning the /me and /ie as they are just the same except for awkward orange) and there isn't all that much difference between the two.

The important thing to note about the t68 series is that if you bought a /m, will happily update your software to /i status. They do *NOT* release the t68i and say "Go buy this one" like a certain other company.

The other duplicate is the Sony CMD-J7 and CMD-J70 and I admit I can't see why those two were released.

The thing to bear in mind is that I named two Nokia lists of pointless phones as examples from their site.

I only named two sets of SE duplicates because thats all I can find.

I honestly think are a better company than Nokia. There's something to be said about not having as much money as the other guy - it usually means that your products are usually made to be different as you can't afford to release similar phones.

Thats just the way I see it. As I said 701, you make no sense.

Jalu
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 16:53
@jalu: The only reason Sony Ericsson isn't launching as much phones as Nokia is because of their lack of resources and competence. If they could, they would release even more phones than Nokia. Why? Because having more choices when you buy something is always better for you as the consumer. Especially when it comes to mobile phones which can have a lot of features today and you don't always need every single one of them. E.g. maybe I want to buy a phone like T68 but I don't need bluetooth so why would I pay for it? Instead, there could be a cheaper T67 which is like the T68 except it has no bluetooth. OK, maybe this was not the best example, but you get the point.

Nokia releasing a large number of phones is considered a success in the business world. Sony Ericsson releasing very little new ones is considered a failure. Saying that SE is deliberately releasing a small number of phones because they are better than Nokia and because they want the best for their customers is completely ridiculous. They aren't releasing them because they CAN'T and not because they DON'T WANT to.

[ This Message was edited by: faca on 2002-12-14 15:56 ]
Titanium
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 17:25
@jac12

1. Read Financial Times or watch CNNfn for 5 minutes every day.
2. Read Financial Times or watch CNNfn for 5 minutes every day.

This was true last year and it's still true today.

[ This Message was edited by: Titanium on 2002-12-14 16:28 ]
jb
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 17:26
Quote:

intensive features. All I want is a calendar and full address book. Besides, Neonode will accept programs in C++ so... a lot of potencial!!

Before you kids go all crazy about the fact that it is possible to develop applications for it; it is nothing like symbian/java-based P800.

In order to develop anything for it you need ms embedded visual studio; or whatever it was called; and then you need to learn how to make programs interface with their neoshell-libs-whatever. Once you've done this, your programs will *only* run on neonode; whereas if you had made a symbian program (java-based or not) it would run on most smartphones in the world.

I basicly think MS win ce was a BAD IDEA. Symbian or Palm but, for god's sake, not ms win ce.

Secondly; expect radio performance to be inferior on this device. I heard gprs-technology was licensed from a small un-heard-of french tech-firm; likely it is not tri-band. And the fact that you can't use it as a normal phone (i.e. put it to year ear) is another big annoyance.

And how do you get mp3 songs on to it? By gprs? By a card reader attached to your PC? (it doesn't have bluetooth - remember?)

A stylus option *would*be*nice*.

There should be no unclearity about this; P800 is superior in every possible way but one - design and size.
jalu
W550 red
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 17:36
@faca

Read the bottom paragraph of my post - I acknowledged had less money/resources than Nokia. I also said maybe that isn't a bad thing.

If had as much money to throw at things as Nokia I have no doubt there would be t68a, t68b, t68c et cetera.

However, there isn't and frankly I'm glad for it. We get a feature packed phone for a reasonable price.

FWIW though, you said that don't have the competance that Nokia have. I think thats completely wrong, have made great innovations recently such as Bluetooth (Yes, that was Ericsson on their own but you get the point) plus do a lot of other things as well as mobile phones.

I don't think competance comes into it on this one.

Jalu
Johnex
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-14 17:53
If you can read some swedish, which i can, go to the webpage www.mobil.se and search for the phone there. There is lots of info there. :-)

This post was posted from a T68i

geoffreyw
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 20:31
@faca and titanium - This thread is about the differences between the neonode and the p800, not an arguement about the financial prowess of nokia or se. Either help us gather some actual facts about the neonode, like documented features, etc., or take your infantile diatribes somewhere else. Thank you for your cooperation.

P.s. if you feel the need to flame me please do it at swoutdoors@hotmail.com and dont waste everybody else's time and bandwidth.
jalu
W550 red
PM
Posted: 2002-12-14 20:47
Hear hear

Someone mentioned that the Neonode won't actually be able to function as a 'hold up to your ear' phone and will only work with an earpiece.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is the neonode just a terminal and a hands free kit is the only way to use it?

Slightly worrying if so...I have quite a tall body (not so much legs) and have problems with handsfree kits and horrible nasty dangly wires - especially with alleged lack of that could be a real problem.

Jalu
sprinkles
K300
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-14 21:55
To the person who said we need embedded visual studio - it comes on your visuall C++ Studio disc
Phillips C12 - Nokia 3210 - Nokia 3330 - Panasonic GD65 - T68i - Sendo somethingorother - Nokia 7600 - SE K300i - SPV C550
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic