Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > The O2 iPhone discussion thread

Previous  123 ... 14 151617  Next
Author The O2 iPhone discussion thread
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 09:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Let's try not to forget that this is Apple's first phone, things can only get better.

Let's also not forget that the iPhone is pretty much an iPod with a phone and camera built in, pretty good iPod I'd say.

End of the day, stop your whining, if you don't like it's features we don't want to know. Let the people who want one buy it and enjoy it!!
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-14 09:49
Just because it's their first phone doens't mean they can overlook the little things. I don't know of a single manufacturer thats left MMS or Video Recording out of any of their camera phones in the last 2 years really, it's shockingly bad form of a big company like Apple to have done so little research.

Then again, this could be intentional, so when the iPhone 2 comes out, people will have a reason to upgrade lol.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 09:56
Don't forget that the iPhone actually runs OS X, anything missing from it can be added via software (apart from a better camera and 3G chipset obviously). You just wait 'til February when the official SDK is released. they'll be more features added than you'll know what to do with.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/[....]ne-features-not-finished.phtml

enough said!

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2007-11-14 10:07 ]
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 13:25
it costs too much to not have those functions it should be £169.99 really if Apple wanted to sell more then they would at that price.

I'm sure iPhone 2 will be better im hoping they add a attachment keypad to it and bring back all them features Daedulus mentions

as it's there first attempt at a phone and it's American well the Manufacturers oviousley have aimed this at the US market more cos the US market are abit behind in phone technology or you cannot get a decent handset that works right over there anyway!

iPhone 2 maybe be up against the P1i next so lets wait and see
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-14 14:40
Purchased mine yesterday, love it so far. I always used to turn off 3g on phones in the past so the iphone not having it isnt an issue for me, though the edge network isnt as slow as i expected. Surfing using wifi is brilliant, the best experience ive had on a mobile phone. I can already type pretty quickly on the keyboard, the the correction software is brilliant. The camera is w**k yes but i can live with that for sure. So far the 'negatives' of the phone are completely outweighed by the positives.
Posted from an iPhone
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-14 18:52
missuk made a rather interesting point there, it's an American company. Makes more sense really, they don't need things like video recording or mms over there (or so sales figures seem to show).

What I suspect happened over here was Apple turned up at O2's office, O2 were scared shitless and just happy they were there, and said yes straight away without argueing that they should add MMS and Video Recording before bringing it over here. It's like they knew that if they tried to come to even a tiny comprimise, Apple would say "fine" and walk out the door and into Vodafone's office.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
frank2345babies
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 19:28
i played with the iphone today and have to say i was impressed though wasn't tempted to buy it. It was a nice bit of equipment and the camera was even half decent. If it only had better specs i would definatly get one. And nokia better make something special if they want to upstage the iphone 2 or whatever there s60 touch will be up against.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 02:42
The camera isn't w**k it's quite good actually,
im just disapointed at the test what The Gadget show gave it cos it putme off, if I hadn't of watched that then I would of been more thrilled to try it out, unfortuantley tho it's not for me I do love Touchscreen phones but atleast had keypads on theres

I hope the next phone thy decide to do will be alot better you know if Apple were a UK firm then im sure the iPhone would be the fastest selling phone here if added alot of bits of course

it amazes me how iPhone even ended up on 02 there data rates stink even 200MB isn't enough for a bit of kit like that

T-Mobile should of had it just like in Germany

An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 03:23

On 2007-11-14 18:52:35, Daedalus85 wrote:
missuk made a rather interesting point there, it's an American company. Makes more sense really, they don't need things like video recording or mms over there (or so sales figures seem to show).

What I suspect happened over here was Apple turned up at O2's office, O2 were scared shitless and just happy they were there, and said yes straight away without argueing that they should add MMS and Video Recording before bringing it over here. It's like they knew that if they tried to come to even a tiny comprimise, Apple would say "fine" and walk out the door and into Vodafone's office.

Actually I dont think it has anything to do with that, MMS if you look at it is really a limited resource in its own right. Apple is a company that pushes boundaries and doesnt follow the pack. Take for example Apple decided to exclude floppy drives from there machines many many years ago because they felt the medium was going nowhere fast (and they were right).

MMS compresses your pictures to a dastily size so that lovely 2MP picture is cropped and compressed and sent to a phone for you to look at and then dump. Email on the other hand has the option of hitting your phone and pc and meaning that you will probably keep that picture for longer. So my point is Apple is pushing what the Japanese manufactures have been doing for years, pushing push email, know with gmail imap that is a reality and FREE (yeah you pay your data charges but its miniscule.

Video recording again how many times do you use the video record feature on your phone? not much I am guessing... now I am not sure of the ergonomics but but my guess is operating the camera in record mode (auto focusing etc) is gonna impact on the battery life, this has been Apples biggest concern on this phone as the first thing people complained about in the N95 was its battery life (yeah it had everything you needed in it but still the cry's of the public where heard hence N95-8GB bigger battery)

So I think its not that 02 was scared, not at all its simple fact that you want a good product you want it to sell with as little bad publicity as possible, this has been achieved. Video recording I am sure will be coming at a later stage I believe once all areas of the market have been covered but again not a necessity.
samab
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 05:39

On 2007-11-15 03:23:34, themarques wrote:
So I think its not that 02 was scared, not at all its simple fact that you want a good product you want it to sell with as little bad publicity as possible, this has been achieved.

I agree with Daedalus85 somewhat about this issue.

Apple is toying with the insecurities in each and individual carrier's minds. Not many carriers in the whole world are going to be as confident in themselves as Verizon Wireless in the US to decline on the iphone deal.

The iphone deal comes with a long of strings that angers your own staff and your own business partners. Your sales staff is going to be worrying about the future of their commission pay if people can "activate" at home. Your other retail partners are going to be angry at you because only CPW gets to sell this iphone. These are 2 very important issues that turned up in the US launch --- from first hand postings in the howardforums website.

It will be interesting to see the iphone launch in France --- on the one hand you know that Apple is going to try to skirt all kinds of simlocking laws in France. On the other hand, Orange sales staff (who hasn't received any iphone training yet) has got to be worrying that they will work and work and work ---- and they may never receive any mobile contract commissions because France may become the worldwide source of unlocked iphones.
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 09:24

it amazes me how iPhone even ended up on 02 there data rates stink even 200MB isn't enough for a bit of kit like that

They dropped the 200MB limit, the day before launch!
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-15 12:12

On 2007-11-15 02:42:45, miss uk wrote:
im just disapointed at the test what The Gadget show gave it cos it putme off

Do people actually take that show for serious???
Posted from an iPhone
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 12:53
It would appear so.
baconnugget
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 16:01
i decided that i would return my iphone, i liked it overall but a few things bugged me like you couldnt delete sms individually, think im gonna wait for the n82
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 16:36
The iphone´s lack of certain features is pure strategy. Instead of releasing a phone with all features they planned for it, they put in the market a phone with a ´good´ and ´sufficient´ amount of features for the time being and then keep adding more features with software updates so people think that apple is ´giving more´to its customers and that the O2/ATT/ORANGE/T-MOBILE deal is really worth it. They iphone only received the youtube function days before its release, the keyboard was only english and today it supports others languages, now the iphone has TV-out and etc. Some people have analysed itunes´files and found out other future functions for the iphone such as disk mode and manual control of files (instead of just syncing). Last week i read on macrumors or appleinsider (can´t remember) that apple will be adding a ´post to youtube´ feature on the iphone, so u can record videos and post´em. (yes, the iphone camera CAN do video, apple just hasnt released the software for it YET). Other curious thing about the iphone is that its radiochip supports 3G, the hardware is there, apple just hasnt again released the software. I think its all a matter of strategy, the other functions will see daylight when apple finds more interesting and probably when apple is ready to use them as much as they can such as with ´post to youtube´ , 3G and etc
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 14 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic