Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > The O2 iPhone discussion thread

Previous  123 ... 101112 ... 151617  Next
Author The O2 iPhone discussion thread
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 15:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-11-12 15:47:49, fatreg wrote:
that's all good and well Jools but O2 claim then when you cancel your contract the iPhone is redundant.....

I think you'll find that this is Apple's doing though, nothing to do with O2.
samab
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 16:03
Long time reader and first time poster.

Dogmann and I have been discussing this topic for a while on howardforums.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1243570&page=2&pp=15

Please read the whole thing and tell me what you think.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 16:28
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay have had a really bad night and morning and still am bad.

Any away started off with Otelo then on to OFCOM from there was directed to Trading Standards and Consumer Direct to eventually end up at the Office of Fair Trading who deal with the Competition act.

They have looked into it and as far as they are concerned 02 won the contract with Apple and they assume people would realise they have to use the device with 02.

I have made all our relevant points as to Outright purchase etc etc and as far as the are concerned it either does not apply or is not relevant. The best answer he could give me was to seek independent Legal advice.

So much for Consumer Protection is all i can say, unless some one can find where the directive that made the Networks have to sell unlock codes to us i really am at a loss as to how to pursue this further. But i do know for along time it wasn't possible to get an unlock code till either the end of the contract or by paying the whole contracts costs up front. What changed this so that the Networks now sell us the unlock codes is the only line of attack left. I do not accept the Networks all did this of their own free will something forced them to and we need to find out exactly what it was.

I still find the whole situation wrong and really can't think of any other Mobile device that suffers in this way even T-Mobiles, Voda or O2's Tytyn variants can all have unlock codes bought for them and they are exclusive devices to their Networks. So why is the iPhone any different? but for now that is as far as i can pursue this unless and until someone mangoes to find out about the unlocking situation.

The only other thing i can suggest is that as many as possible all call their local trading Standards and complain as that may make them look at the situation again.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-12 15:40 ]
samab
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 16:41
Americans carriers do offer unlocking codes for free after 90 days and they are doing this as a courtesy to their customers --- without any US laws requiring such generosity.

You are making a huge leap of faith reasoning in that UK carriers must have been forced by some un-named and hidden law because they are currently offering you an unlocking code for a fee.

[ This Message was edited by: samab on 2007-11-12 15:43 ]
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 17:02

You are making a huge leap of faith reasoning in that UK carriers must have been forced by some un-named and hidden law because they are currently offering you an unlocking code for a fee.

I'm sure that's true. Just based on each of the UK networks different policies on providing unlock codes, its clear there is no law or even a rule they are adhering to.

I've recently had 2 unlock codes for SE phones. One from Virgin which they provided in a matter of hours for free because I'd spent more than £30 in calltime. The other was from O2 which took 28 days (after multiple phone calls to chase it up) and cost £15.

That, and the fact that the previous posted text from September 2007 is actually asking OFCOM to look at making some clear rules that MNOs should adhere to.

Even though, at the time of purchase of an iPhone, you haven't actually signed up to any O2 contract, it's made clear that in order to use it you need to.
samab
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 17:08
I knew about the onephone response paper almost a month ago.

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=10074542&postcount=59

You should read the whole hofo thread and especially my exchange with Dogmann on this topic.
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 17:39
Getting back to the sales volume conversation from earlier in this thread, Ars Technica are reporting that O2 had 8000 iPhone activations on Friday after 6.02pm. Actual sales are likely to be higher as not everyone will have activated on Friday. O2 was expecting around 3000 activations for Friday.

No figures as yet for the whole weekend.

http://arstechnica.com/journa[....]ons-on-day-one-5-year-contract
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-12 17:41
I think I'll leave purchasing one till I visit New York in the new year unless it works out cheaper to just by one here and unlock and hack it!
samab
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 17:52

On 2007-11-12 17:39:36, JoolsG4 wrote:
Getting back to the sales volume conversation from earlier in this thread, Ars Technica are reporting that O2 had 8000 iPhone activations on Friday after 6.02pm. Actual sales are likely to be higher as not everyone will have activated on Friday. O2 was expecting around 3000 activations for Friday.

No figures as yet for the whole weekend.

http://arstechnica.com/journa[....]ons-on-day-one-5-year-contract

They can say whatever they want about their original expectations --- especially after the fact.

But it is strange that carphone expected 10000 units sold on the first day (not counting o2's own store and apple's own store) and o2 expected only 3000 activated in total (carphone + o2 + apple).
moveteam
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 19:03
Hmm.. I can't find anything about a specific (EU) law who mention it (unlocking the phone).

But I do know, that in Denmark, the carrier must only sign you up for 6 months, and SHALL give you a possibility to unlock the phone within the 6 months, for a fee (typically £45), but that doesn't mean that you can cancel your contract.

Can you just walk in to a British Apple Store (as a Dane) pay the £269, without to sign up for anything? When it comes to Denmark in January, there is no officially Apple Stores, and I think it only will be sold in the carriers stores (probably Vodafone or Telia)

One last thing, when the iPhone comes out in France (and for that matter in Scandinavia - same rules), could it be possible to copy the unlocked iPhone's firmware and flash it to an unlocked phone? Then you don't have to play the cat and mouse with Apple
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 19:13
Hi all,

I really find it very hard to believe that people bought a very expensive nice new gadget took it home and left it in the box? rather than activate it.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-12 18:14 ]
samab
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 19:46

On 2007-11-12 19:03:37, moveteam wrote:
But I do know, that in Denmark, the carrier must only sign you up for 6 months, and SHALL give you a possibility to unlock the phone within the 6 months, for a fee (typically £45), but that doesn't mean that you can cancel your contract.

Ever wonder why there is absolutely zero news on the prospect of iphone launch in Denmark.
indup
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 19:49

On 2007-11-12 19:13:45, Dogmann wrote:
Hi all,

I really find it very hard to believe that people bought a very expensive nice new gadget took it home and left it in the box? rather than activate it.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-12 18:14 ]

youd be surprised what some people are capable/incapable of.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 19:51
Perhaps they didn't activate it cos after playing with it thought im taking it back, there must be some who have returned it due to stupid reasons (text messaging issues maybe) .. Are CPW selling on 02 this phone then? Whats stopping then selling it on other networks if da case .. Will it be sold on o2 payg?
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 19:55
what is stopping them is probably contractual obligations but more importantly because they are locked to O2!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 101112 ... 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic