Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i Push Email with NEW Gmail IMAP?

1234  Next
Author P1i Push Email with NEW Gmail IMAP?
sdsviet
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-27 02:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
since gmail just got imap. does this mean we can do push email with gmail now on the p1? im still really confused on this whole imap. i have searched esato and even wikipedia to figure out what it does but still confused. can someone explain this in lamens terms? i think i know wat imap means like in having multiple computers one can check email from anywhere and it acts as the local computer. so like if i use imap and read mail on my p1i and delete them, does it mean its gonna delete it on my gmail account too'? i like to keep all my email but just not on my phone. also can someone show me how to do the whole p1i push email thing if this gmail imap thing works.
mts
C702 Speed Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-27 03:19
I have 2 gmail accounts. Funny is that i have IMAP only on my second, younger account. But is only question of time.

I have try it and here is some answers. Hope it helps

Yes, if you delete message in phone, then after next"send read" this message will be deleted also from your web account. It is better not deleted it, but keep it in some archive folder, etc.

Second greeeeaaat think is the push. I have send myself few mails and they appears in my phone quickier then ordinary sms. About 2-3sec. Whoa
sdsviet
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-27 09:15
so the emails are instantly sent to the phone when its sent to the web account. hmm now if i can find a way to delete it off my phone without deleting it in the web account.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-27 13:02
easily done.
first create a folder in your gmail account
then subscribe to it on the phone in 'view folder' you then just need to move the items you 'delete' from your phone to this folder you then don't lose it
sdsviet
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-27 18:51
can u explain this in greater detail. im a little confused with your description. thanks
sdsviet
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-27 18:58

On 2007-10-27 13:02:00, peanut wrote:
easily done.

first create a folder in your gmail account

then subscribe to it on the phone in 'view folder' you then just need to move the items you 'delete' from your phone to this folder you then don't lose it

like when u say create a folder in gmail. is it like creating a label?
the rest of the description im also confused bout.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-27 19:49
Yes,please write it in detail.I am interested
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
dave1000
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-28 08:29
Instant notification on an IMAP server requires the IMAP IDLE feature on the IMAP server. Gmail as well as many other IMAP providers support this. The P1 and P990 support IDLE, so in thery instant notification should work. However, the internet connection must be continuously connected for it to work. That is not always easy on a mobile phone!
rcxAsh
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-10-28 15:26
Cool, I just set this up on my P990i, and it's working great! The whole instant notification thing is really very nice.

To set it up, log into your GMail account and enable the IMAP feature under the settings if you haven't already. Then on your phone, create a new Email account under the Control Panel>Messaging.

Enter the information as prescribed by GMail:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799

To configure the Incoming and Outgoing connections to use SSL, pull down the menu of the mail settings dialog and select Advanced. You can then configure the secure connection type for both Incoming and Outgoing servers. Select SSL for both of them.

Check the "Push email" box in the Basic settings tab.

Now, I've found that any new messages arriving in my Inbox are automatically pushed to my device! My inbox is usually empty, because I move old mail to the archive, so I'm not sure what will happen if you have a lot of mail in the inbox already - it may try to sync it? If you have other folders or "labels" created in GMail, you can synchronize these with your device by going into the Messaging application, and then going into your GMail inbox. There is an icon in the top right corner of the screen, which lets you change what folder you've viewing (eg, Inbox, Outbox, etc). There will be a Subscribe option, which lets you view and select a list of corresponding folders to subscribe to as you have created in GMail. After subscribing, the folder will appear in the Remote section of that folder list. You can also edit what remote folders are available from your device, which will create that label in GMail.

You don't have to subscribe to any remote folders if you don't want to - it seems that for me, by creating the IMAP account on my P990i, that the account's inbox is already subscribed to my GMail account's inbox. But if you want access to all your messages in other folders (eg, the All Mail or Drafts or Spam), then you will have to subscribe to those.
dave1000
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-28 16:07
The IMAP server actually flags each folder to show whether it is subscribed. However, quite sensibly, the SE mail client ignores that and has its own list of folder that you choose to subscribe to. The inbox will always be subscribed to.

IMAP is actually a remarkably clever email system. It was desgned from the start to enable synchronisation between multiple clients. You can set up software on different computers (Outlook Express or Thinderbird for example) and they will all stay in sync. A message deleted on one, will be deleted on the other clients. Try it and see what happens when you delete on the phone. It will disappear straight away on the other clients. IMAP handles deletion rather differently from other systems. Messages are marled for deletion, which normally means they are shown with a line through them. Then the folder is purged/compacted to get rid of them.

There are better IMAP email services than Gmail. Take a look at www.fastmail.fm.
sdsviet
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-28 17:21
how do i archived my mail. do i change it in the pop section because that is the only place i see where it says i can archived. and if i do that i think it only does it for new mail. how do i archived all the old stuff i have now?
sdsviet
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-28 18:00
so i tried it out. archived all my gmail mail. set up the imap account on my p1i. sent a message to that account. i didnt get it instantly tho but i just went ahead and click get and send. got the new email. i then deleted it and saw it disappear on my web account which was kinda cool by the way. then i clicked my all mail section and it was there. does that mean when i delete mail on the phone it sends it to my archive on my web account?
andrewkeith5
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-28 19:06
I must have an older account which hasnt been activated yet, but I'm very interested in this idea. The last time i tried push email was with the microsoft system and it seemed to just keep eeking away at my wallet

how do i go about setting up imap in gmail?
Mobile working solution:
Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue 6920G + DVB-T ExpressCard + Merlin XU870 + 3 5GB/mo Mobile Broadband
HTC TyTN II + T-Mo Flext 25 W'n'W
Nokia 5300 + T-Mo Everyone PAYG
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-28 20:23
Its simply a case of setting up your email account and then ticking "push email", you can then change the timings of the connection from the main settings (always on email).

I have used it and it seems to be fairly light on the data exchanged - maybe not as light as Blackberry Connect, but seemed close to me. Having said that I then turned it off again when I discovered that my PAYG sim was costing £5 a meg!!!

Now I'm planning to get a t-mob web'n'walk contract so it costs me a fixed amount each month and thats that.
sdsviet
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-28 21:04
what i found kind of weird is that when i read the email on my phone it doesnt do that to the web account. so when i delete it on my phone it goes into archive unread.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi