Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > W960 reviewed

Author W960 reviewed
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 09:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w960-en.shtml

"N81 provides a better sonic experience" says mobile-review. Overall a very negative review.
aldrinus
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 09:51
@QVGA:

that was one hell of a negative review by eldar for the W960...

but i guess, experience is relative. each is entitled to one's own opinion and that you can't please everybody.

thanks for the informational link. cheers!
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 09:58
i couldnt help but noticed that he made fun of SE in that article.
alex
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 10:25
Well... it does seems Mobile Review give a true picture of what is Sony Ericsson W960i in a way. I believe Eldar review it in the user perspective. After all, "we" user will be paying this piece of device.

If you ask me, it is kinda cheap stuff SE used for this device especially the stylus and not much breakthrough if you compared with W950i except Walkman 3, camera and 8GB.

Maybe this is just a pre-production unit. Judging from the battery... it can't be using BST-33 where P1 is using BST-40....

Anyway, I still believe W960i is still a 1 great piece of device which definitely I'll add it to my collection.
rehamer
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 10:28
"The W960i comes with 11 equalizers, which do make the difference in the way your music will sound, but the sonic experience here is what you would normally expect from UIQ-smartphones, so nothing to shout about."

and

Software-wise, this version of the Walkman player is one of the best we’ve seen, but at the same time, it delivers no breakthrough in terms of sonic experience. In fact, with no dedicated audio chips on offer, Sony Ericsson risks ending up on the skirts of the market.

.......so disappointing. so disappointing.
WhiteEye
T650 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 10:53
Hope it will be released with less bugs.
from my observations, sometimes it's better off not knowing.
k_a_v_z
C905 Gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 13:23
Hi guys!
I was so disappointed about that review. It looks like SE is releasing the same phones just in new shells... Have you noticed that? For almost a year, SE introduced nothing new. Take for example the K800 and K810, no difference except for the design. The W800, W810, and the W610. Nothing new about this 3 models, except the design and the Walkman 2.0 is nothing new to Walkman 1.0. They just added visualization which does nothing to its overall performance. I mean, it could be better if they add more features and a better music playback.

Seems that SE is getting negative feedbacks on reviews of its devices. I am SE fan too, and i am not happy to hear those reviews. But they have a point if you analyze it and try to open your mind. Nothing new groundbreaking since the announcement of the first Walkman Phone (w800).

Mobile review says;
"This model fails as the company’s music-heavy flagship, and there is no real explanation of what has affected the developers to this extent, so that they have come up with a product like this. A few more models designed in the same fashion should be enough to get the brand’s loyal consumers to switch over to Nokia’s solutions, which have more of Sony Ericsson’s spirit today than Sony Ericsson itself."

Its so sad to hear, "...switch over to Nokia’s solutions, which have more of Sony Ericsson’s spirit today than Sony Ericsson itself." SE is not SE at all. They fail in P990 now, they're getting negative feedback on the W960. Whats wrong SE?

Im starting to realize that we're just buying products carrying the names Walkman and Cybershot, and just paying for its brand name and not for the total performance satisfaction. Im a big Walkman phone fan, hope SE fix this problem soon and introduce a new and groundbreaking walkman phone that could totally kill nokia's express music and apple's iphone. I hope to see walkman phone with dedicated music chip and ear blasting luod speaker next year. To have a total music experience! I hope, its you, "Mooi"... "Maria" you break my heart, I am disappointed... ^^,
I am who I am, your approval is neither required nor desired...
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 13:38
I dont think that review was harsh AT ALL ,ive just finished reading it and i just think Eldar is just telling us the cold hard truth, i was also a bit lost with W960 and the whole Back button thing, also the fact that its using the same old ARM9 220mHz processor that the P990 had.
For me id rather take a Nokia N81-8GB or N95-8GB which are in the same price range,have A Lot more apps and games available and better features except for the Camera of N81.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11ā€¯ 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Gunnut
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 14:29
The review probably gave us the truth.

And the truth hurts sometimes
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 15:21
i still want one any major differences between it and the n81?
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 15:22
I didn't think it was harsh either. If the w960 is supposed to be a walkman phone in the price- range it's in.. then cheap design, no dedicated audio chip or 3,5 jack, things of that sort, and generally nothing outstanding either on battery life or features - then it fails. Also compared to other SE phones, not just nookia ones.

So I agree with the review - someone at SE seems to have decided they had to continue the "walkman" against "business phone" stick. And then ends up spending lots of time splitting development efforts on several almost identical phones, without improving any of them all that much. Silly. Bad decision.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 15:46

On 2007-10-22 15:21:59, gola wrote:
i still want one any major differences between it and the n81?

well N81 has 369mHz FreeScale processor whereas W960 got 220mHz
N81 has Dual speakers, W960 got one
uhm. . .N81 has A LOT more crackd and free applications
W960 has Touchscreen and N81 doesn't
W960 got the bigger screen
W960 got a higher resolution cam
N81 has better video recording (VGA @ 15FPS) W960 (QVGA @ 15FPS)
The N81 has a DSP Sound Chip
W960 is lighter and slimmer
N81 has a built-in 3.5mm headphones jack
N81 got 16.7million colour screen whereas W960 only got 262.144 colour screen
N81 supports both Wifi (b) and (g) whereas W960 is only (b)
N81 has both 3G and EDGE whereas W960 only got 3G
N81 is smaller.and has navi wheel for new Gallery
At the end the N81 is more advanced when you into more detail, but it all depends on what YOU need and prefer. When you get your W960 and i get N81 then maybe then we can realy compare hey! @ Gola
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11ā€¯ 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 16:01
I thought the review was well balanced myself. It is fair to say that SE have pushed the envelope for the hardware they are using, the p990/m600/w950/p1/w960 line all basically share the same underlying hardware which only underwent small modification from the p910. The ROM and RAM size have been upped, better camera sensor (still in the same place as the p910 - anyone noticed that before?) and wifi added to the mix.

Given the speed of the cpu and age of the first design (p800 anyone??) I think it's amazing that SE are still getting functional and useful modern designs from it at all!

I am hoping that this is the case simply because they are putting a large amount of r&d into a new motherboard design - which I'm hoping will be what the z8 and upcoming z10 from motorola have been based one - which will offer a true evolution of the technology, one we haven't seen since the p800 came out.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 16:05
...There's the touchscreen? And how does the cut and paste thing work on the n81? But, I mean, if the battery actually lasts longer when playing music on the n81 (which I doubt, unless it's 9kbs wma against 320kbs mp3), and any multitasking typically doesn't mean halving the battery life one more time, and it actually has better sound- output - then it's a good alternative. And it has changeable mem- cards, which is a clear plus.

But I mean, the n81 isn't actually the prettiest phone on the market either, and you'd be a bit too hopeful, maybe, to expect it to launch without any issues or problems of any kind, and so on...
dagrim1
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 16:23
Hmmm, quickly looked at the sample pics and couldn't clearly see the green tint problem which is so evident in the P1i's. So I hope they have fixed it in a firmware...

As far as the phone is concerned, looks very slick but nothing too much really walkman-ish except for that as far as I can tell. Ofcourse the new software but that's it. No real dedicated keys, nothing.

The 8gb is nice, but it won't be too long before the 8gb m2's are out as well and for now the 4gb I have is serving just fine. Wonder how fast data is transferred to the phone since I always have the feeling that putting data on the card/phone itself is slower then through using a cardreader or something.

Ah well, SE needs to come with some REAL improvements or something really new instead of just renewing their older models with small additions.

Don't get me wrong, I DO like the P1i a lot but it's hardware IS a bit outdated... just wondering what there next top model is gonna be like.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi