Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2008

Previous  123 ... 525526527 ... 115911601161  Next
Author The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2008
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-21 02:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-04-20 08:29:52, crossmatched wrote:
i really do hope starts to bring back the CCD sensors! (s700 was a great cameraphone) and employ qualitative glass lenses.
its high time that CYBERSHOT branding live up to its legacy

&

On 2008-04-20 08:33:14, razec wrote:
Most high-quality cameras usually come from SE.

VGA: K700
1.3mp: S700
2mp: K750 and it's gang members
3mp: K800, C702 and the rest
-But the usual history of very good SE reputation on the imaging geeks had changed when K850 embarrases the SE camera lineup. bastard K850!

If only SE would make a true S700 successor packed with CCD(again) and AF...

What is with you guys and CCD sensors? Just because 1 - sorry 2 S700 & S710 (same phone just different bands really) had CCD sensors you want them in another SE phone? Follow along with me.

K700 (CMOS) - great phone, revolutionized phone industry because it had THE most memory shipping (expansion was still limited to PDA's & smartphones only at the time). It used extrapolation for the pseudo 1.3MP image but it was only VGA but its VGA was much better than Moto's 1.3MP sensors or Samsungs at the time. However cameras on phones was still considered a Gimmick by the masses - closeup pics for your phonebook not really for away trips. So I consider it Evolutionary for CMOS!

S700/S710 (CCD) - Revolutionary as an imaging phone that not only woke up the industry but also consumers eyes showing them that quality pics can be taken with a good eye and careful slight adjustments. Phone calling quality was also SE/Ericsson standard greatness. However, battery life paled the competition and even SE phones for longevity. Furthermore it was HUGE in thickness. Lastly it had LIMITED expansion 128MB ... at the time Samsung & Motorola wised up to the K700 and started shipping phones (mostly CDMA or GSM) with embedded memory of 90/128MB (Samsung) or TransFlash (Motorola; before being officially apart of Secure Digital for MicroSD) expansion for up to 1GB. SE took note and evolved this phone but it would take a back seat to a new evolution of the K700.

K750i (CMOS)- HUGE impact WORLDWIDE on taking quality pics on vacation that you can proudly PRINT! Expandable memory was incredible (originally 2GB then up to 8GB presently). This was an all around performer & with adjustments in Java VM, Task switching, and of course hacking & firmware updates this phone STILL is loved worldwide! PURELY Revolutionary. Call Quality, Battery Life, Image quality, Games & 3rd party Java applications and Audio Playback as an MP3 player made this a pure all around performer!

W900 (CMOS) - this was the 3G replacement to the S700. This phone had everything the K750i had including its 2MP CMOS camera but also Shipped with 470 MB built-in shared memory PLUS MSDuo Pro expansion & supported QVGA video recording (hardware based dedicated chip). I'm wondering if the glass cover of the lens of THIS phone can be transplanted to the K850i ?! Hmmm.

K800 (CMOS) - ANother great quality phone with good call quality, battery life, and decent photos. evolutionary in Java but I wouldn't say anything else.

Thats 3 specifically different models that are CMOS based vs CCD.

CCD is still too expensive & requires too much space, and much heavier than CMOS regardless of the MP range. CCD is dedicated for camera's Pro end especially ... not for cellphones.

Thats my opinion. I'd rather see that oil-based Liquid Lens technology that Seiko was contracted out to begin mass production beginning this summer. Optical Zoom ... common SE bring it!
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
kreacher
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 06:44
Q: What's the story on the built-in antenna in W980? I'd like to bicycle / walk and listen to the radio wirelessly with a headset.
A: Unfortunately we've encountered some problems during the development of W980 regarding the built-in antenna that would have made it possible to listen to music without using a headset. The FM-transimitter, however, is ready!

This will at least delay the W980, or does he mean that they're dropping the feature?
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 07:22

On 2008-04-21 02:11:07, Prom1 wrote:
What is with you guys and CCD sensors? Just because 1 - sorry 2 S700 & S710 (same phone just different bands really) had CCD sensors you
want them in another SE phone? Follow along with me.

And I don't know what is it with guys like you??? No one here want's CCD just because it was used in S700/S710... We all want it because it's much much better than a CMOS and if SE could have it in their phone so long back, then they can still have them in their current/future phone... Just that SE has already done this and it's very much possible for them...

CCD is still too expensive & requires too much space, and much heavier than CMOS regardless of the MP range.

Haven't you read the recend threads??? CCD doesn't seem to be expensive at all... Look at -mobile 902, it costs as much as K800 and has a 5MP CCD in it... No significant effect on battery life or any thing... And please, how much more heavy and huge can a small CCD be than a CMOS??? Are K850/N82/Viety/G800 etc. small phones??? Also, I don't think it is any difficult for SE to put a CCD in K850 with increase it's size much...

CCD is dedicated for camera's Pro end especially ... not for cellphones.

Wrong... Why do you even think so??? Sorry to say bro but this is the worst comment I heard from you...

Why did comanies came us with 3G/HSDPA/Wifi in their phones?? High speed internet is for laptops not phones??? Huh??? There are many more examples but I think this should be enough...

[ This Message was edited by: hgautam on 2008-04-21 06:27 ]
BoyBawang
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 07:58
This days CMOS has far exceeded CCD as claimed by Cannon. It's faster, energy efficient and cheaper. Infact, all Cannons high end camera today are CMOS while their mid end powershots are CCDs. CMOS is the present and future!
xironghostx
W350 White
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 07:59

On 2008-04-21 06:44:10, kreacher wrote:
Q: What's the story on the built-in antenna in W980? I'd like to bicycle / walk and listen to the radio wirelessly with a headset.
A: Unfortunately we've encountered some problems during the development of W980 regarding the built-in antenna that would have made it possible to listen to music without using a headset. The FM-transimitter, however, is ready!

This will at least delay the W980, or does he mean that they're dropping the feature?

They dropped the built in antenna, and you do still need a cable to use the radio
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 08:44

On 2008-04-21 07:58:43, BoyBawang wrote:
This days CMOS has far exceeded CCD as claimed by Cannon. It's faster, energy efficient and cheaper. Infact, all Cannons high end camera today are CMOS while their mid end powershots are CCDs. CMOS is the present and future!

Sorry but if your assumption that CMOS sensors were superior over CCD is true then canon should have used CMOS sensors on their compact digital cameras like powershots and IXUSes as well. Canon DSLRs have choosen to use cmos because they are well performers when they are very large since light sensitivity is adequate enough to render the colors and details suitable for DSLR-quality images while at the same time reduces power consumption. in other words CMOS sensors are well performing enough when large but are still mediocre to CCDs when shrunked to fit a compact digtal camera especially mobile phones.

Anyway may i remind those who claim CMOS are better/par to CCDs that where and when have you seen a cmos digicam(i said digicam not DSLR cam)/camera phone being able to beat/par a CCD enabled digicam/camphone with the same sensor size, similar lens, and same resolution?

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2008-04-21 07:51 ]
BoyBawang
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 09:45

On 2008-04-21 08:44:12, razec wrote:

Sorry but if your assumption that CMOS sensors were superior over CCD is true then canon should have used CMOS sensors on their compact digital cameras like powershots and IXUSes as well. Canon DSLRs have choosen to use cmos because they are well performers when they are very large since light sensitivity is adequate enough to render the colors and details suitable for DSLR-quality images while at the same time reduces power consumption. in other words CMOS sensors are well performing enough when large but are still mediocre to CCDs when shrunked to fit a compact digtal camera especially mobile phones.

Anyway may i remind those who claim CMOS are better/par to CCDs that where and when have you seen a cmos digicam(i said digicam not DSLR cam)/camera phone being able to beat/par a CCD enabled digicam/camphone with the same sensor size, similar lens, and same resolution?

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2008-04-21 07:51 ]

@razec

Are you really serious? Your statement is true maybe few years ago during CMOS infancy. But now it's a fact that CMOS has now surpassed CCD in almost all respect.
Camphones today don't perform well because they use inferior or older CMOS sensors... Marketing, cost & product positioning are also factors... but that may change 2morow..
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensors

[ This Message was edited by: BoyBawang on 2008-04-21 08:47 ]
sadeghi85
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 09:49

On 2008-04-21 08:44:12, razec wrote:

Canon DSLRs have choosen to use cmos because they are well performers when they are very large since light sensitivity is adequate enough to render the colors and details suitable for DSLR-quality images while at the same time reduces power consumption. in other words CMOS sensors are well performing enough when large but are still mediocre to CCDs when shrunked to fit a compact digtal camera especially mobile phones.

Agree to that 100%.

but what i want on my camphone is 1/2.5" 2MP CMOS sensor.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-21 10:20
It's not G500.
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-21 10:26
It differs 1 and 2.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-21 10:28
Latter sounds good. And Brilliant colour too.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 10:53

On 2008-04-21 10:28:33, Mizzle wrote:
Latter sounds good. And Brilliant colour too.

Heey.. are you hinting at something?
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 11:04
Thats a clue if ever I read one.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-21 11:10
No kidding
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2008-04-21 11:15

Far exceeded??? How far???

Claimed??? or Proven???

Faster... Ok, but how much... Energy efficient... Ok, but how much... Cheaper... Ok, but how much... Wait a minute, why use CCD in low-mid if they are costlier???

Also, what about picture quality and noise levels, especially at night/low light (I am not talking about DSLR's)???

[ This Message was edited by: hgautam on 2008-04-21 10:19 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 525526527 ... 115911601161  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic