Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2008

Previous  123 ... 902903904 ... 115911601161  Next
Author The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2008
jayce
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 14:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Some of the insiders have been remarkably quiet of late.
They say no news is good news, but at the moment all the silence is feeding the fear that there's nothing left in the tank.

It was on the 19th June that PeterKay said:

"Oh Hecaro, i you "

But a mere 5 days later we found out about the Symbian Foundation and laying off a lot of UIQ employees.
Since then there have been more low/mid end rumours but nothing about a high end device, let alone the much anticipated high end UIQ phone.

To top it all, in case anyone at missed it, Apple launch the iPhone 3G tomorrow and some of your potential audience for a new smartphone will have gone over to a competitor.

Now I'm not blaming PeterKay. It would be good to hear from him but he's either being told to stay quiet, or genuinely has nothing new to add.
We have become used to him, mizzle and others to feed us with good information but it's a double edged sword ... we love the rumours, we hate it when nothing comes of them and it's easy to blame them.

Frankly the blame lies with for turning a fantastic product range into a so so range, screwing up UIQ based phones, paying lip service to supporting those high end users, loosing their focus and being unable to deliver anything on time.

I hate waiting for to turn things around, seeing them slip into the next Motorola and wondering what the hell they're doing.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 15:07
I agree with Jayce. Plus I might just add, Mizzle has been on holiday the last couple of days and is due back today according to his blog, so that explains why he hasn't said anything for a while. PK celebrated his birthday a few days ago and may still be doing so as I haven't seen him so active on Esato since.

I think Patti is high-end, but of course that isn't a smart-phone which is what so many of you are waiting for. I'm sure things will pick up again very soon.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 16:03
Yep, I also agree with every point Jayce made.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-10 18:17
Yeah, insiders are so quiet lately...
But PK did not reveal one single new info last half a year, so I rather wait for Mizzle or m-one leaks...
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 20:52
Right on the dot @jayce.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 20:53
From Eldar:

"Information leaks, which were the theme of one of my last articles, have become a common practice and oftentimes they are nothing but another way to warm up the audience and get some support from the press. But they haven’t really mastered this art so far, unfortunately. Or, how are we supposed to think about the rumor that Sony doesn’t trust Sony Ericsson with a gaming-centric mobile device and will rather create it without SE’s help? Obviously, there is a grain of truth in this statement, but that’s about it – what they are talking about is not a mobile phone, but a gaming console armed with VoIP functionality that will allow for calls within WiFi networks. Probably, I will have to get my head around what’s going on in Sony Ericsson and type up a good, juicy article about it. The problem is, they have been taking utterly inconsistent steps lately and the prices for their new phones have been soaring up throughout the globe. Sadly, they won’t have anything revolutionary in stock for months to come. Furthermore, their overly strict information security policies, when even the maker’s employees don’t know what’s going on, make things even worse. If their management will keep it up, LG won’t have a hard time settling on its current position – they are aggressive, ingenious and are all set to start increasing their share world-wide. On the other hand, over at Sony Ericsson they are still euphoric about their past achievements. Wake up, check out the calendar – it’s mid 2008, and your bragging rights from 2005 (and a little bit of 2006) are all but gone now.

Having played around with prototypes of most handsets planned up until April, 2009, I can say only one thing. It’s time for a serious shake-up in Sony Ericsson’s roster – they simply need to seize the people who approved most of these offerings by the scruff of the neck and throw them out of the company. You can’t copy someone else’s solutions and think that your brand power will do the rest. I could go on with my rant about the brand that I truly like (or liked? I’m not sure about the tense), but the bottom line is this – there is no method to their actions, and I really hope I’ll be able to show good examples of where Sony Ericsson’s strategy has gone wrong and what kind of mess they are in."

A bit shocking??? Will we only be seing some average handsets as of 2008 in the upcoming announcements???
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-10 21:02
I fully agree with Eldar on this.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 21:14
Wow that's pretty harsh. I can't say if I agree or not as I have no idea what SE has planned for release, what prototypes it's made. But I LOVE my G900, it's perfect for me and for that I appluad SE. I don't care if UIQ will be changed as they have made the device I want.
But it's a known fact Sony is pumping more resources into it's Games and TV business this year to make up lost profit.
darknoob
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 21:51

On 2008-07-10 21:02:42, Mizzle wrote:
I fully agree with Eldar on this.

Me too.

I think only when SE will lose money quarter after quarter (they already have started it ) and will be go down to 5th or even 6th in market share, we will see something that worth it =/
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-10 21:59

On 2008-07-10 21:14:52, apolloa wrote:
Wow that's pretty harsh. I can't say if I agree or not as I have no idea what SE has planned for release, what prototypes it's made. But I LOVE my G900, it's perfect for me and for that I appluad SE. I don't care if UIQ will be changed as they have made the device I want.
But it's a known fact Sony is pumping more resources into it's Games and TV business this year to make up lost profit.

Well I also started to love my P1 because of it's stability, quality etc.
But it still is MISSING some top notch solutions, and we lower a bit our expectations to accept it.
The cancellation story is definately crap. Something is wrong.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-10 22:01
i would love to get a g900 at this point, as it seems the best solution for me right now, but i want US frequency support and G900 lacks in this area.

i'm forced to wait until september and hopefully there will be a smart phone worth my hard earned dollar. X1 is probably too pricey for me. and if i can get a non-wm solution, i'd rather go that route.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
jayce
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 22:28
I'm giving thoughts to buying a P1i but as it's nearly a year old now, I somehow feel frustrated at handing over money on a design that is already out of date hardware wise.

After all don't seem interested in working for my hard earned money, why should I reward them for being so lazy?

The alternative is to see what the C905 looks like ... but that's probably going to be very expensive.
hgautam
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 22:30
That's not all... There's more... C905...

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2008/birulki-6-en.shtml

Yeah, Mizzle is back from vacation... How was it Miz???
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-10 22:35
Boring, and I'm way back on my reviews now
hgautam
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 22:41
I've been waiting for those... He He...