Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia announces S60 Touch Interface

Author Nokia announces S60 Touch Interface
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 22:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-10-17 03:03:30, Dogmann wrote:

As i am pretty sure there is more than just one type of Haptics feedback for instance the Moto version causes the whole device to vibrate and my understanding of the version Nokia is going to use is it gives actual tactile feedback just from the single on screen key as it is pressed, which IMO is certainly not the same thing at all as the the whole whole phone vibrating.

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-17 02:09 ]

Are you sure you know what you're talking about, that nokias haptic feedback is going to give feedback at the point of touch on the screen and nowhere else on the phone? Tell us more, that is something big. How does it work?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 23:35
@Boinng

Actually i do mind as firstly i have never held a completely negative attitude about touch screens especially as i have used them for so long with Ipaq and UIQ.

My position is and hasn't changed which is that Touch screens are not the be and end all for everyone, only if the user wants or feels he needs it, is it important. Which is not even close to what you are suggesting is my position is it?.

As for my unbridled enthusiasm and my bias is a little transparent i really don't see where you get this idea from as i haven't even said i am going back to using one. All i have done is reported what is happening and for those that want a touch screen this could be exciting for them which is no where near yet again to what you are trying to claim is it?

Your next points again are totally incorrect as you claim i have said

"because in your view touchscreens weren't necessary, nobody wanted them, etc etc "

Really again you are happy to tell me what i think and say but conveniently say you won't find where i have said it. Good choice because how ever hard you search you won't be able to attribute me saying the things you think i have said as i haven't.

A little bit of advice if you are going to challenge my opinions and what i say when attempting this how about trying to make sure these are things i have actually said not what you think or want me to have said.

As to be quite honest this constant you telling me my opinion is this or i am that or the other when you can't back any of it up just makes me keep on my making you look quite foolish and as though you have a problem with me and a vendetta to discredit my post's.

It also is not going to ape the iPhone it will be very different as there will be more than just one form factor to start with and it's OS and number of apps available make it a very different device indeed IMO. But lets be honest and sensible here if you are going to have a touch screen device with a large screen covering the whole of one side their really isn't much variation possible is their especially if it doesn't have any buttons or keys.

Again where i have suggested Nokia invented Haptics as i clearly mentioned they bought a license why would they buy a license from another company if i said they invented it so yet another wrong quote from you yet again.

On Flash Lite 3.0 i only reported what was said i never claimed Nokia invented this either and again the VP said S60 will be first to market with it so obviously they must of made a deal with Adobe to be able to say this. If not please direct me to any other manufacturer that has yet announced they will have Flash Lite 3.0 on any of their upcoming devices, go one just one will do if you can if not then yes this is a big deal.

As to previous S60 apps working go watch the numerous You Tube Video's of the event for your answer as what it may sound like to you doesn't make it correct just because that is what you think it will mean.

Now this statement really really is funny

"I've said how and why - they're jumping on a bandwagon in order to play catch up with a major new player on the scene, and they're doing it at the expense of the delicate Symbian eco-system. It's a careless land-grab at UIQ's share of the market, a market they steadfastly refused to recognise until the Iphone hit the scene, and I believe it will ultimately backfire on them."

What are you on seriously jumping on the band wagon you really think they decided just 9 months ago lets copy Apple that's just ridiculous. Firstly when the announced OVI they said they saw a new future for Internet and Media and obviously this now fits into it. As both touch screen technology, processors, graphics and Data speeds have all got more powerful and faster which means now they can deliver a good enough experience.

As for

"and they're doing it at the expense of the delicate Symbian eco-system. It's a careless land-grab at UIQ's share of the market"

Really i thought they were in business to succeed and make profits as are all business's, if UIQ is having problems that is for them to resolve and quite simply not Nokia's fault or problem. I suppose you think they shouldn't dare compete with poor little UIQ and poor little SE just truly unbelievable you can even say anything quite so ridiculous.

As for your closing comment

"Balls. The idea that it's just a coincidence they've come out with "touch" in the same year as the iphone, after several years of complete disregard for the touchscreen market, is just fantasism of the highest order."

I'm pretty sure if this had been a UIQ and SE development you would of claimed it was absolutely brilliant and innovative, talk about fanaticism of the highest order this just shows just how much of a hypocrite you really are it also looks like you are the one devoid of any moral fibre not Nokia or me.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-17 22:46 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 23:51
@londonlad123

The reason i say this is because i read it somewhere when i come across it again i will be happy to link it. But can you imagine if the whole device vibrates on every entry of a single letter that what make for a horrible user experience in my opinion and would explain so far why it has not been seen on the whole OS but just for certain functions.

If you can find out who supplies the License for the Haptics on the Motorola and other devices we can see if this is the same company as Nokia have a license from. I will try and find the company who Nokia have licensed it from and see if there is an any additional information on their web site.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-17 22:51 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 00:12
@londonlad123

Here you go found the name of the company that Nokia have the License from and here are some more details of what they offer currently, i believe what Nokia have licensed is the next progression to what is found currently on the Web site.

Tactile Feedback for Mobile Handset Touchscreens
2007 marks the breakout year for touchscreen technology in mobile phones, as numerous high-profile product introductions have featured the use of a touchscreen to replace mechanical keys as the primary user input mechanism.

Now, with the VibeTonz System, mobile phone manufacturers have an inexpensive, robust way to radically improve usability of their touchscreen-based models. This embedded technology provides an unmistakable tactile confirmation to the user that their finger or stylus press on the touchscreen was accepted as input.

Here is a link to their Web site for further information

http://www.immersion.com/mobility/technology/

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-17 23:13 ]
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 00:53
I cant find anywhere that vibetonz gives feedback on the point of touch like youve said. LG also use vibetonz. Its the point of touch part thats shocking, otherwise its normal haptic feedback.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 00:57
@londonlad123

Well until i come across again where i read it was point of touch i can't really say much else. Maybe what i read is incorrect and has been removed but i will still reserve judgement until i see a working device. As if the whole thing device vibrates whilst typing for instance IMO that would be horrible and not such great a feature after all IMO.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-17 23:58 ]
C905
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 09:59
so, are there any rumours of the first phone with touchscreen?
indeed, it will be a flagship product but will it be a n-series or e-series device?
xnuo
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 14:06
@everyone: guys, don't forget about symbian OS 9.3's new demand paging technology... faster load times, less memory footprint...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]nstrating_Demand_Paging_in.php
xnuo, M.D.
Proud Member of the Atomix Galaxy Note 3 clan
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 15:42
@k850 successor

No mention so far if it will be a N series or E series but i am guessing it may be an N series first as that has a larger market and the emphasis so far has been on Internet and Media.

But we may be lucky and see more than one device launched maybe one from each series which wold be nice. Having said that maybe a whole new series will be created it could be the T series and do both especially as i can't really see the need for a full qwerty on an N series device and we have been told one of the device's will have this.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-18 14:42 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 17:25
here is a new video

http://mobilarena.hu/hir/noki[....]s_60_touch_video_bemutato.html
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum