Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia announces S60 Touch Interface

Previous  123  Next
Author Nokia announces S60 Touch Interface
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 19:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Im gonna agree with qvga on this one. Also, I disagree that nokia are the ones that are gonna make the other manufactures take TS seriously. Apple already did that and then took it to another level.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 20:05
instead of joining UIQ once again nokia has decided to go solo.
well let them, lets hope the competition is strong enough for people to think twice and make a better choice.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 21:11
@Bart

What possible reason would Nokia have to join UIQ with all it's problems especially when they have a far better choice that they already know and that requires very little if any modification for a Touch UI.

@Boinng

Where in any of my posts have i said i intend to go back to using a touchscreen in one of the other threads i have said it may be the one thing that does. But then i have said the same about UIQ and the P3 if it delivers, unlike you i would never say i won't ever use an OS just because of who makes it as that limits my options for no good reason other than what you hate Nokia your loss no one else's as in my experience S60 really is a great UI well i like it anyway.

Firstly maybe it has escaped your attention but Nokia are launching device's not just one, one of which will have a full qwerty so which Apple phone has that copied then?

Secondly Moto's' haptic is on 3 music control keys only not the whole touch screen so no it's hardly the same thing and who else has this on the whole touchscreen anyone?

I have already answered point three as to your incorrect assumption that i am converted to using a touch screen again or how brilliant they are either. As to Flash Lite 3.0 of course Adobe created it it's there app. But whilst all over the forums people want this Nokia are delivering yet again first and where did i ever suggest no one else will add it in the future all i pointed out was that Nokia will be first to market with it.

As for this quote

"As for all the S60 apps working from day one, well I'm sure they will, but I'm equally sure they won't respond to "touch" until they're recompiled for the touch interface. Because Nokia aren't that prescient - until somebody saw the iphone, there was no touch in S60."

Really like to let us into the secret of how you know this as i tend to have more belief in a Nokia VP's information than yours, after all this is a Nokia statement not SE.

You think this makes Nokia

" I think it makes them weak in spirit, and weak in moral fibre."

How and why? as far as i am concerned ever since the launch of UIQ3 this is the only position SE is the best at with out competition.

Your last point is just so wrong Nokia have more than just decided to change to a touch screens because of Apple what ever you may think it goes along with their belief of a changing Internet and Media experience and fits in with OVI user experience. This is the difference Nokia doesn't remain stuck it changes to adapt to the ever changing market and continues to improve the user experience by constantly bringing the latest tech to us all.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-16 20:12 ]
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 21:58
lol @ the doggman and Boinng debate. Boinng if i was you, i would give up on your debate. doggman does know his stuff.
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 22:11
Dont forget, the lg viewty has haptic feedback throughout the UI (not that one button with haptic feedback isnt haptic feedback, it is) and samsungs armani has too - its nothing new, maybe recent.
rockerZ
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 22:50
I can't wait too see the new TouchScreen sets that are gonna be released by Nokia
Though it's not gonna be anything much special , but its something new by Nokia , and it might turn out to be very good
I love my K750 !
I love my N73 Music Edition !
I love my Sony Ericsson K810 !
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 23:47
now that will be interesting. i am not a touchscreen fan, but maybe it has to do sg with se uiq, what is terrible imo, but since i love nokia symbian os, maybe it will make me to like it
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
jortiz1200
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 00:12
this is great news. one of the main reasons i just cant buy a nokia phone,was for the lack of touchscreen(even though their hardware is a bit superior) i just cant imagine not having it...and the fact that flash will be supported is a huge plus. n800 has spoiled me with that(flash 9 and opera,oh yeah native skype to).2008 looks like it will bring good things.i only hope se can bring it with the p3...and soon!
p1i
m600i> 4gig.m2
n800> 2x 8gig. sdhc
Symbiangeeza
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 00:29
I agree with Doggmann, and completely disagree with Boing.I just hope Nokia don't make an absolute arse about face job of their new generation touchscreen phones as they evidently did with the terrible and flawed 7710

This message was posted from a WAP device
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 00:33
... or with 6708
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 01:09

On 2007-10-16 21:58:32, Mr Miyagi wrote:
lol @ the doggman and Boinng debate. Boinng if i was you, i would give up on your debate. doggman does know his stuff.

Boinng is a good debater too, and he's got wide knowledge either. the only thing i always found deliberately repeated about dogmann's comments was that the famous sentence that begins with this phrase "Where in any of my posts have i said that..."

On 2007-10-17 00:33:24, BobaFett wrote:
... or with 6708

6708 is just a rebranded benq-p31. they did not manufacture the phone but they have just put that nokia logo on that bricked phone

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2007-10-17 00:12 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 01:36
I TOLD YOU ALL that the UIQ lone smartphone was a just "feeler" testbed from Nokia as they've been out of practice and still working with intergrating things from S90 into S60. LONG overdue by their promise 2yrs ago now!

Haptics ... wondering if a pantent issue will arise as the Samsung Giorgio Armani has that "Vibration" feedback coming from touch (finger) input.

I'd ALSO like to see that Handwriting recognition that the S90 7710 had - simply superb.

Honestly I don't like touchscreen for my personal uses ... and LOATHE iPhone like touch ONLY devices. However I just got to see that Samsung Giogio model and it looks sleek, very small, svelte and promising. They where smart to include dedicated answer hangup buttons.

we'll see what the future brings. i'm still prefering UIQ3 Smartphone for a K850i like design.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 03:03
@razec

Well if you could kindly stop people from making out i say things i clearly never have said, it would be my pleasure and a great relief to never have to start a sentence with what now appears to have become my catch phrase.

Trust me it annoys me a lot more than you that some are happy to make the most absurd statements about what either i have said or the fact i hate SE as well as numerous other things and not once on being challenged has anyone ever come back with a quote to prove otherwise and yes it really does annoy me and maybe that's why they do it.

@Prom1

Maybe i didn't post it clearly but i was actually asking a question as to if anyone knew of any devices that used it as i didn't. Although i am aware of the LG and Motorola versions of Haptics i don't believe it is the same.

But i do remember the announcement quite sometime ago when Nokia purchased a license for the particular technology they are using. As i am pretty sure there is more than just one type of Haptics feedback for instance the Moto version causes the whole device to vibrate and my understanding of the version Nokia is going to use is it gives actual tactile feedback just from the single on screen key as it is pressed, which IMO is certainly not the same thing at all as the the whole whole phone vibrating. To be honest if using a virtual keyboard and every key press resulted in the whole phone vibrating that would make a horrible user experience as well as killing the battery of course, I don't know about the other devices mentioned do they work the same was as on the Motorola or not?

So i seriously doubt anyone will be able to sue Nokia as they are a legitimate user and License holder of the system they are using.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-17 02:09 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 08:33

On 2007-10-16 21:11:23, Dogmann wrote:
Where in any of my posts have i said i intend to go back to using a touchscreen

LOL - where in any of my posts have I suggested that you will?! I've only commented on the fact that you've gone from a position of almost complete negativity towards touchscreen devices, to unbridled enthusiasm for Nokia's attempt at the same. The bias is a little transparent, if you don't mind me saying.

in one of the other threads i have said it may be the one thing that does. But then i have said the same about UIQ and the P3 if it delivers, unlike you i would never say i won't ever use an OS just because of who makes it as that limits my options for no good reason other than what you hate Nokia your loss no one else's as in my experience S60 really is a great UI well i like it anyway.

For me, it was a lousy interface up till now because it had no touchscreen support (a point you repeatedly refuted up till now, because in your view touchscreens weren't necessary, nobody wanted them, etc etc - don't go asking "where in my posts did I ever..." again because I'll find them). Now, it's apparently going to ape the iphone. Well, I place a value on genuine innovation, so if wanted an interface like that I'd buy an iphone, not an imitator.

Firstly maybe it has escaped your attention but Nokia are launching device's not just one, one of which will have a full qwerty so which Apple phone has that copied then?

That would be the iphone, whose interface it has stolen. You can't just bolt on a qwerty and pretend it's not still derivative.

Secondly Moto's' haptic is on 3 music control keys only not the whole touch screen so no it's hardly the same thing and who else has this on the whole touchscreen anyone?

A couple of others going by other posts, not that I feel that's important - haptics are haptics, they've been done before and they're not a Nokia innovation, as you were attempting to suggest.

I have already answered point three as to your incorrect assumption that i am converted to using a touch screen again

That would be the assumption I never made, then...

or how brilliant they are either. As to Flash Lite 3.0 of course Adobe created it it's there app. But whilst all over the forums people want this Nokia are delivering yet again first and where did i ever suggest no one else will add it in the future all i pointed out was that Nokia will be first to market with it.

They're the first to announce it, that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be first to market. I just don't see why you're making such a big thing about something that was (a) developed completely independently by another company, and (b) can and will be implemented by every other phone manufacturer on the planet.

As for this quote

"As for all the S60 apps working from day one, well I'm sure they will, but I'm equally sure they won't respond to "touch" until they're recompiled for the touch interface. Because Nokia aren't that prescient - until somebody saw the iphone, there was no touch in S60."

Really like to let us into the secret of how you know this as i tend to have more belief in a Nokia VP's information than yours, after all this is a Nokia statement not SE.

So find me the Nokia statement that confirms these existing applications will be "touchable" from day one? All I can see is confirmation that they'll "work" (as in, run), and that "tools will be made available for developers to further optimize the touch experience of their applications" - which sounds like re-compiling to enable the touch features to me.

You think this makes Nokia

" I think it makes them weak in spirit, and weak in moral fibre."

How and why?

I've said how and why - they're jumping on a bandwagon in order to play catch up with a major new player on the scene, and they're doing it at the expense of the delicate Symbian eco-system. It's a careless land-grab at UIQ's share of the market, a market they steadfastly refused to recognise until the Iphone hit the scene, and I believe it will ultimately backfire on them.

Your last point is just so wrong Nokia have more than just decided to change to a touch screens because of Apple what ever you may think it goes along with their belief of a changing Internet and Media experience and fits in with OVI user experience. This is the difference Nokia doesn't remain stuck it changes to adapt to the ever changing market and continues to improve the user experience by constantly bringing the latest tech to us all.

Balls. The idea that it's just a coincidence they've come out with "touch" in the same year as the iphone, after several years of complete disregard for the touchscreen market, is just fantasism of the highest order.
bbasra
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 14:28
= N95 with touchscreen. Nice
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi