Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Help! Have P1i but tempted by the TyTn II (Tilt)

12  Next
Author Help! Have P1i but tempted by the TyTn II (Tilt)
liaoip
Xperia Play Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 19:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Geez, I hate to have to do this, but I've always been a SE fan since the P900 days. Just got the P1i a few months back. But.....but....now I'm being tempted...freaking tempted.....by the HTC Tytn 2. Please people....convince me why I should stay with the P1i!!! Here's my take so far, let me know what you guys think

P1i
-------------------
Pros :
* Small
* Lightweight
* Longer Battery Life
* Better camera (barring the green tint problem)
* Speculated as one of the best speakerphones in the market

Cons:
* Slow processer (even though it may be all a UIQ 3 needs)
* no 802.11g (i didn't think this would be a problem but I've begun to notice that a lot of places only work in g mode and not mixed b/g)
* No EDGE or HSPDA
* Only UMTS 2100
* Weak 3D and emulation performance

Tytn 2
----------------------------------------
Pros:
* Full QWERTY
* Full GSM, UMTS, EDGE, HSPDA support
* Built in GPS with Tomtom 6 included (HTC version)
* Play Youtube.com directly (I saw a video on youtube...seems for real)
* Full Editing suite for Microsoft office documents.
* 2.8" LCD
* More software and support than UIQ 3
* Supposedly has one of the fastest mobile 3D chip (benchmarks)
* It can actually emulate SNES game smoothly....sigh

Cons:
* Sucks up battery life like there's no tomorrow
* Big and Bulky
* Heavy 190 oz
* supposedly the speakerphone sucks

[ This Message was edited by: liaoip on 2007-10-15 19:09 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 20:47
I'm currently using both and so feel I can offer a response...

you seem to make an issue of size so I'll start there.
I can only suggest you read my post here in the TyTN II thread where I have comparison pics showing its not as bad as you seem to think.

...and honestly, is 190g so heavy? are you so weak that this is going to be an issue? (just kidding!) we're comparing 124g with 190g. I have to say I don't notice this difference AT ALL!

I can say that the P1 fits ina shirt pocket nicely whereas I prefer the TyTN in my suit trouser pocket

as far as battery comparison goes I have to say that I do alot of browsing, mostly on HSDPA which presumably requires more power since it has faster incoming data to process (P1 doesn't have HSDPA) and yet I find I don't get a great deal more from the P1 than I do with the TyTN II... and I also use the TyTN II GPS for probably 15-30 minutes a day on average since its so usable (although I really dislike TomTom and will soon change over to the Garmin software). Actually I'm finding, unusually, that my P1 battery life is getting shorter and I've seen other people comment the same.

I've never worried too much about having 802.11g compatibility as I'm rarely in a wifi zone that can do much better than 11mbps (except at home of course).

I really do like the keyboard on the P1 (and the M600 before it) and can probably type faster than on the TyTN II, but that said thumbing the slide out keyboard is also very nice. Typing in tilt mode with the unit on the table also works very well.

Speakerphone on both is fine and certainly the TyTN II doesn't have the tinny sound of previous HTC's I have had.

Its certainly a tough choice and all I can suggest really is that you trying both, as I have done, and make your choice that way. After a year of M600 and actually ditching the original TyTN while retaining the M600 I have now gone completely the other way
liaoip
Xperia Play Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 01:05
Well, most of the pros and cons I've put up are perceived generalizations of peoples comments on these two units. They aren't necessarily my personal take. In any case, I found one store (out of like 6 AT&T stores that I called) that actually had the Tilt. I actually was able to hold it a bit and take the weight into account. To me the weight difference was perceivable, though i don't know if it would be turn off. And as you've mentioned, size-wise, it's comparable to the p1i (except for the thickness maybe).

In terms of battery life, I usually can get 3~4 days primarily because I primarily use it as a phone and only get in like 20~30 minutes of WiFi surfing in a day. All i want is a phone that won't die in 1 day (preferably two).

As for typing, I would think that the Tytn 2 with its bigger keys would be easier. But maybe that's just me. Still, the whole point of this thread was I guess to maybe find some reason for me to hold on to the P1i instead of ditching it for the Tytn2. I feel like I'm being greedy for dtiching the 3 month old p1i for a new phone. Anyways, thanks for the input.

P.S. Have you compared the two speakerphones? I'm more interested in a situation where I'm playing movies or songs. I don't care as much for using it during calls. I've read some "pro" reviews saying the speakerphone is just horrid.

[ This Message was edited by: liaoip on 2007-10-16 00:07 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 10:03
I was absolutely convinced I was going to have the P1i as my next phone, and I still think it's a great phone, but Vodafone offered me a good deal to stay with them (they don't stock the P1) and get the Tytn II instead - or "V1615" as they've branded it.

The P1i has some clear advantages - it's lighter and a little sleeker, and arguably better looking if that's important to you - but in the end I was tempted by the idea of decent GPS (ie, quite workable, not gimmicky like the N95), HSDPA (yes Marc, HSDPA) and the chance to give Windows Mobile a whirl, after being stuck in a UIQ rut since the P800. There are so many apps and freeware out there for WM, and that's something I've really missed with UIQ3 especially.

Anyway, although it gets delivered today, I'm not allowed to play with it till the 25th, as the upgrade is a birthday present. I'll be sure to report back though on how it compares to my M600i, which isn't a million miles away from the P1.
Mr[NiK]
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 10:20
id be quite tempted to give a tytn 2 a bash if it ever came out on orange but wait wheres the flash for the camera??!! [addsig]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 10:25

On 2007-10-16 10:20:18, Mr[NiK] wrote:
id be quite tempted to give a tytn 2 a bash if it ever came out on orange but wait wheres the flash for the camera??!!

It ain't there... but I can't say that bothers me in the least. A proper zenon flash might be nice, but I've got a keyring torch that's just as useful as anything else!

I'm firmly in the "camera phones are just a bit of fun really" camp, otherwise I'd be getting a K850.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 10:25
sorry, no flash on the TyTN II
liaoip
Xperia Play Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 18:36
Speaking of cameras....

I've read in several reviews of the TyTn 2/Tilt that the image quality is horrid, and it exhibits severe checker/weave artifacts when it shouldn't. I think someone even made a point to take the same photo with the TyTn and the TyTn2 and the original Tytn didnt' exhibit this problem. Some think it might just be a software issue on how it renders the picture. Any thoughts on this? Can he perhaps see some photos taken with the Tytn2/Tilt. Thanks.
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-10-19 12:49
speaking about the camera, TYTN II ain't as bad, and with its 3MP camera, it's edged above its predecessor, it's quite comparable with P1, but lack of flash is the only think i have to live with

i made the swap few weeks back, and up till now, i consider it a good move, and talking about GPS, it really works! it does! unlike some other manufacturers who claim to have built in GPS, but in reality, it's hardly useable

thanks to masseur for 'persuading' me getting the TYTN II through his reviews
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-10-19 12:53
agreed. the camera is not bad, especially in good daylight, but it was about time they added some sort of flash but I guess if they did that... what could they do to this model in future as its just about complete!

anyway, glad its working out for you too!
mookkoo
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-19 17:26
How did you find map for indonesia/jakarta? is it accurate?

On 2007-10-19 12:49:10, jakontil wrote:
speaking about the camera, TYTN II ain't as bad, and with its 3MP camera, it's edged above its predecessor, it's quite comparable with P1, but lack of flash is the only think i have to live with

i made the swap few weeks back, and up till now, i consider it a good move, and talking about GPS, it really works! it does! unlike some other manufacturers who claim to have built in GPS, but in reality, it's hardly useable

thanks to masseur for 'persuading' me getting the TYTN II through his reviews
liaoip
Xperia Play Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 08:40
Hello Everyone,

Ok, my friend happened to need a new phone and got a great deal for the Tilt off of Newegg.com. He was nice enough to lend me the tilt to fiddle around with, so here are some observations from me and some tests I did.

#1 Weight and feel
Ok....it might just be me, but the minute I got my hands on it I could feel how hefty and weighty it was. Not that I can't handle the weight, its just this phone reminds me of my p900 + a bit more weight. My p900 was weighty already by most phone standards but the Tytn 2 adds 30g on top of that. Suffice it to say, it also feels more substantial in your hand compared to the P1i due to the width. I not a fan of carrying around heavy things on my waist (esp after my friend told me that having a heavy wallet + heavy phone affects posture and could do some damage to you over time).

#2 The Speakerphone issue.
Yep, when I asked my friend how the speakerphone was, the first thing he said was "it's not that good". To judge for myself, I copied 3 movies and 2 songs via Bluetooth link from my P1i to the Tilt (so they would have the same files). Tested out both the sound quality in song and movie situations. What i found was 1 the speakerphone's max volume is about 60~80% to that of the P1i (ie Tilt at 100% volume would be P1i at 60~80%). I also found that the speaker used was inferior to that of the P1i by an obvious measure. The p1i sound tended to sound more "whole" and "round", whereas the Tilt sounded like I was listening to some low end speaker with only treble. It was just really sharp to my ears.

#3 Interface and usage
I must admit that I haven't had very much experience with WM devices, but I can tell you that there were some design issues I had problems with. First the power button is on the side where your thumb is. I found myself inadvertently putting the phone in standby many times. Part of the problem was also due to the fact that the wheel and ok button on the opposite side of the phone are sometimes stiff and need to be pressed pretty hard to get a response. 2nd, I noticed that sometimes when I tapped on something on the screen, pressed a button, or typed a key on the keypad, it would not come up. And I was certain that I had pushed it all the way, so it was kind of strange. 3rd, pushing the wheel in as a selector didn't work too well. In the p1i pushin it in = the ok button. In the tilt though I often found situations where pushing it brought up a selection menu of commands completely unrelated to the OK command. And for some curious reason, their OK button below the wheel is actually like a return-to-previous button. Also, it might just be my unfamiliarity with WM6, but I felt that the interface design, while seeming good in my head didn't work as ideally as I would've liked. Ignoring the fact that AT&T's today screen sucks, I found my self having to click the windows "start" button all the time, and most of the time with a stylus. This means 2 handed operation. In my mind, I sort of knew how it should work, but in actual practice, it was much less intuitive. Still this could just be a "getting used to it" issue.

#4 Camera Quality
Well I must say I'm surprised. The camera quality isn't as bad as some reviews make it out to be, but I've only taken a indoor shot so this probably call for more testing. Overall, the Tilt did a decent job of white balancing it, though it still got confused when faced with multiple light sources (flourescent + bulb + LCD screen). Also, the tilt displayed a great deal of noise in the shadows. The P1i on the other hand had releatively smooth noise in the shadows and was able to handle all the lightings. Though the green tint issue still bugs me.

I can't think of anything else and it's getting late so this will be it. I am conflicted now on whether I should or need to even change. Now that I've played with the Tilt, it's brought things down to earth a bit and I see it for what it is. I like the idea of having a GPS, but that's a secondary usage for me. A light weight, good camera and speakerphone are probably more important to me right now. Battery lifes another thing. I know the P1i can last long (3~4 days with my usage). I guess I have more things to consider now.

[ This Message was edited by: liaoip on 2007-10-21 07:45 ]
.Z.
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 09:03

On 2007-10-21 08:40:23, liaoip wrote:
I like the idea of having a GPS, but that's a secondary usage for me.
[ This Message was edited by: liaoip on 2007-10-21 07:45 ]

A GPS-reciever with P1 works great and probably get longer battery life than a smartphone with the GPS built in.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 09:10
After reading your experience with the tilt id suggest sticking with your P1i since you prefer something lite weight and with all the features you mainly use daily which the P1 has. P1 seems to be also alot more userfiendly for you than the Tilt. And you can always get GPS software and Hardware for your P1 if you realy need it.
Well thats my opinion.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 17:20

On 2007-10-21 08:40:23, liaoip wrote:
#3 Interface and usage
I must admit that I haven't had very much experience with WM devices, but I can tell you that there were some design issues I had problems with. First the power button is on the side where your thumb is. I found myself inadvertently putting the phone in standby many times. Part of the problem was also due to the fact that the wheel and ok button on the opposite side of the phone are sometimes stiff and need to be pressed pretty hard to get a response. 2nd, I noticed that sometimes when I tapped on something on the screen, pressed a button, or typed a key on the keypad, it would not come up. And I was certain that I had pushed it all the way, so it was kind of strange. 3rd, pushing the wheel in as a selector didn't work too well. In the p1i pushin it in = the ok button. In the tilt though I often found situations where pushing it brought up a selection menu of commands completely unrelated to the OK command. And for some curious reason, their OK button below the wheel is actually like a return-to-previous button. Also, it might just be my unfamiliarity with WM6, but I felt that the interface design, while seeming good in my head didn't work as ideally as I would've liked. Ignoring the fact that AT&T's today screen sucks, I found my self having to click the windows "start" button all the time, and most of the time with a stylus. This means 2 handed operation. In my mind, I sort of knew how it should work, but in actual practice, it was much less intuitive. Still this could just be a "getting used to it" issue.

#4 Camera Quality
Well I must say I'm surprised. The camera quality isn't as bad as some reviews make it out to be, but I've only taken a indoor shot so this probably call for more testing. Overall, the Tilt did a decent job of white balancing it, though it still got confused when faced with multiple light sources (flourescent + bulb + LCD screen). Also, the tilt displayed a great deal of noise in the shadows. The P1i on the other hand had releatively smooth noise in the shadows and was able to handle all the lightings. Though the green tint issue still bugs me.

I can't think of anything else and it's getting late so this will be it. I am conflicted now on whether I should or need to even change. Now that I've played with the Tilt, it's brought things down to earth a bit and I see it for what it is. I like the idea of having a GPS, but that's a secondary usage for me. A light weight, good camera and speakerphone are probably more important to me right now. Battery lifes another thing. I know the P1i can last long (3~4 days with my usage). I guess I have more things to consider now.

I have to agree with you on number 3 as I had the same dillema between the P1 and the P3300 HTC which features GPS and WM 05. I had the P990i before and I had to change it because of the RAM issue - i am a heavy user and this shortage killed my enthusiasm for that phone. So when I had to pick up another, I test-drove the above HTC for a few days. While a surprisingly good phone, sturdy and packed with features, had me going to P1. Why? Because HTC is too big, the phone is very unstable the interface lacks clarity - maybe this is because I use UIQ for too long, now. But I stick with P1.
Also point 4 has some meaning to me: while some pictures are great, other suck big time even in open environment.
I put a few examples so other know what I mean.
http://juvo.weblog.ro/2007-10-22/203316/Exemple-foto-cu-Sony-Ericsson-P1%2C-3%2C2-MP.html
PS: I am not puting up examples of pictures taken with the HTC , they are horrible as the phone has no autofocus and no blitz.

" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi