Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i fails on m.youtube.com

Author P1i fails on m.youtube.com
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-24 17:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I tried it with mine, it didn't work. I had to statically assign an IP to the p1 and then turn off the firewall for that address
okalyddude
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 02:37
im having the same problems.. unfortunately im not too router savy and im also working on a turkish router with tedious translating..

anyone have specific advice other than listed previously in the thread for getting streams to work? still trying to poke around the router based on what was said, but i dont fully understand assigning a specific ip etc as was just posted.

also does anyone use ampache or orb for music? ampache im using thru a friends server, but for streaming it dls a m3u file that the media player says is empty..

a few random questions:

is there no way to up the power of the wifi while i have the p1 plugged in?

is there a good way to keep it conneted to wifi? i use fring for communication (crossing fingers for skype) i plug it in because otherwise standby just drops the wifi. any way to avoid it? also even with it plugged in the screen still fades and eventually the wifi drops.

can you update your firmware without a computer, just on the p1? i didnt bring a computer because i hoped my new p1 would be more capable...

what apps do you all use for music, streaming or not, and videos, streaming or not, and aim, skype, etc?
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-03 14:07

On 2007-11-03 02:37:39, okalyddude wrote:

anyone have specific advice other than listed previously in the thread for getting streams to work? still trying to poke around the router based on what was said, but i dont fully understand assigning a specific ip etc as was just posted.

It depends on the router, but basically what you would do is redirect some external ports to either your phone's internal ip or it's mac- address. And on many routers at least that's called "application sharing", "port- forwarding", or something of that sort. Which is, basically, a filter that expects incoming connections, and then redirects specific connections to the local address, which the phone's program can then pick up if it wants to.

So, what you're doing is just putting in a port- range (which is a bit ridiculous with streaming because there's no specific ports, really, but a few somewhere on the 50000 range might work), for tcp and udp, and then assign that to a device or local address (you can usually see those from the router's web- interface).

On the other hand.. maybe you just need to redirect port 554 for tcp, and things would be handled that way.. Anyone who knows more about rtsp who can answer that one?

is there no way to up the power of the wifi while i have the p1 plugged in?

Probably not. If you're wondering why things slow down to a halt and then never gets better again, that sort of thing was actually fixed in the last firmware.

is there a good way to keep it conneted to wifi? i use fring for communication (crossing fingers for skype) i plug it in because otherwise standby just drops the wifi. any way to avoid it? also even with it plugged in the screen still fades and eventually the wifi drops.

You can increase the time before the connection is dropped on the "internet accounts" and "settings" on the "more" button. And, if the signal drops for a while, you're usually disconnected, and you need to manually connect again, if a program you're using won't keep the connection alive somehow.
can you update your firmware without a computer, just on the p1? i didnt bring a computer because i hoped my new p1 would be more capable...

Bad choice (so far, at least). But it would probably not be a very good idea to design a phone that can write to it's own eprom..
mrhunkmtl
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 03:20
[quote]
On 2007-11-03 14:07:26, Nipsen wrote:

On 2007-11-03 02:37:39, okalyddude wrote:

It depends on the router, but basically what you would do is redirect some external ports to either your phone's internal ip or it's mac- address. And on many routers at least that's called "application sharing", "port- forwarding", or something of that sort. Which is, basically, a filter that expects incoming connections, and then redirects specific connections to the local address, which the phone's program can then pick up if it wants to.

So, what you're doing is just putting in a port- range (which is a bit ridiculous with streaming because there's no specific ports, really, but a few somewhere on the 50000 range might work), for tcp and udp, and then assign that to a device or local address (you can usually see those from the router's web- interface).

Thanks *Nipsen* works well on my LINKSYS B-wireless
raduci
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 07:30
For sure it is not a router issue, but bad application or wifi drivers from SE. On the same router in the same time Nokia N95 played clips from m.youtube.com without any intervention and P1i remained at 100% buffering and no clip was running.
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 10:37
There is no doubt that the media player app is bad, even with good wifi connections and doing everything I could to get the connetion working at its best I still found that long streams especially would play for so long and then just stop - often the app just exits without reason.

Having said that, the N95 is known to have lots of WIFI problems too, a simple search of the nokia forums shows that. What it seems to be is a packet transport issue with certain size packets - we are awaiting the results of some tests to see if the p1 has similar problems to the n95, but this seems highly likely.

For me, the video that is available via mobile youtube is just not worth the hassle of messing about with WIFI to get it working, my advice to anyone who is having issues is not to bother - just use a desktop computer!
parasluco
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 10:43
or use http://tinytube.net. I'm doing so, it at least buffers somewhat with me. But it allows you to just download and watch the video, trouble-free.

I hate to sound like a -whatever- but sony should just make the phone and leave the programming, appz, OS, firmware, to third-party. As dedicated as I am to this phone and UIQ3, they need a serious lesson from Duracell: It just has to work.
adara
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 15:24
I managed to watch videos from YouTube (http://m.youtube.com) on my P990i through an Asus WL520g router by going to NAT Setting/ Virtual DMZ and adding the phone's ip there.
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 15:32

On 2007-11-13 15:24:15, adara wrote:
I managed to watch videos from YouTube (http://m.youtube.com) on my P990i through an Asus WL520g router by going to NAT Setting/ Virtual DMZ and adding the phone's ip there.

I had to do the same with my dlink one.
adara
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 15:38
problem is those movies really aren't much...
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 15:53
Yeah, I keep saying it, but everyone just wants to youtube their p1.

ITS NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE PPL!

_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-13 16:07
Yeah, but http://tinytube.net is cool though

With regular Opera you can have videos downloaded while you browse. When download finishes, Opera asks if you want to play them, so you multitask.
Edit: On TinyTybe, click the advanced button for a *real* search and dowload only the videos with Hi quality and no wait sign.

[ This Message was edited by: _LAU_ on 2007-11-13 15:28 ]
wannahave
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-07 23:20
works for me but what I really want is that java app to work on my p1i, haven't been able to download it from web cause p1i wont have it and no direct download link.

its java so I would like to give it a try.

app found at: m.youtube.com/app
arvinlad
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-08 13:54
m.youtube.com works for me on my P1i with latest firmware. Using a Negear DG834G router...

Example m.youtube.com/details?v=tsRL51a9dmo - Title: DJ KAWASAKI - bright like light (PV)

HTH

[ This Message was edited by: arvinlad on 2008-02-08 12:59 ]
alanruncie
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-08 23:33
easy to fix
just go to your internet accounts and turn off the use of proxy servers or add youtube as an exception site and bob's your aunty
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi