Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Alternative couriers/postal services other than Royal Mail?

Author Alternative couriers/postal services other than Royal Mail?
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-07 23:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just wondering if anyone's had any dealings with these private companies like Parcel2go and similar companies?

What with all these stupid postal strikes and problems with RM at the moment I thought it might be useful to hear about any experiences people may have had with these other companies, are they worth it? Is the service good, any advantages/disadvantages to these various companies? Which is the best one?

Be useful for both me and others who are sick of RM and the constant strikes over pay. They don't seem to realise they're shooting themselves in the foot and instead of arguing the toss over pay and vague possibilities of job losses they should be concentrating on keeping their jobs and customers!

Sorry, rant over!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 15:16
I agree Sammy, i bought a UMPC off a mate which i cannot get hold of untill the end of the week now, RM is a private monopoly which needs disbanding ASAP IMO.
scottt
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 15:23

On 2007-10-07 23:26:33, Sammy_boy wrote:
Be useful for both me and others who are sick of RM and the constant strikes over pay. They don't seem to realise they're shooting themselves in the foot and instead of arguing the toss over pay and vague possibilities of job losses they should be concentrating on keeping their jobs and customers!

Sorry, rant over!

I can assure you we are not arguing the toss over pay.... Pay aint even half and quarter why were striking....

Theres maybe the early shift allowance, pensions, increase of upto 10 d2d items per week without extra pay (junk mail leaflets etc) aswell as the whole move to being more flexible there pushing... Basically meaning they want us to work for nothing and be messed around on start times etc... ie) i could be starting at 6 on wednesday work my normal shift then be rung that evening and be told i am starting at 8 the next day and not finishing till 3....

Then to cap it all off theres later start times which is coming into affect as of Wednesday.... So full timers start at 6 instead of 5 and part timers start at 7 instead of 6.......

So yeah, just abit more than pay me thinks.....
I my 32GB iPhone 3GS

Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-08 15:31
Then to cap it all off theres later start times which is coming into affect as of Wednesday.... So full timers start at 6 instead of 5 and part timers start at 7 instead of 6.......

Does this mean we'll receive our mail even later in the day?
scottt
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 15:35

On 2007-10-08 15:31:51, Nanu wrote:

Does this mean we'll receive our mail even later in the day?

Yup.... By around an hour....
I my 32GB iPhone 3GS

arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 16:38
UK Mail?

Vodafone currently use them so they can't be bad...
scottt
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 16:42

On 2007-10-08 16:38:55, arien617 wrote:
UK Mail?

Vodafone currently use them so they can't be bad...

Nah.... They only deal with business as does DHL, Lynx etc etc etc..... When it comes to letters....

RM still deliver there letters anyway too....
I my 32GB iPhone 3GS

arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 16:47

On 2007-10-08 16:42:40, scottt wrote:

RM still deliver there letters anyway too....

Thought it was odd when an RM posty dropped a letter through with UK Mail on it...
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-08 17:14

On 2007-10-08 15:16:32, mweb6161 wrote:
I agree Sammy, i bought a UMPC off a mate which i cannot get hold of untill the end of the week now, RM is a private monopoly which needs disbanding ASAP IMO.

RM does not have a monopoly. There are other companies like UKmail and TNT who also run postal services but they do choose not to offer their services to the public. The government opened up the market a few years ago so that RM didnt have a monopoly. The government then told RM that they had to still offer services to the genral public and deliver to every single UK address but told the other companies who decided to start mail services that they could pick and choose what they did. This left the companies like UKmail and TNT to choose the profitable area of post from big businesses and leave the non-profit stuff to RM.
If you disbanded RM then you would not get your post delivered as nobody would be there to take over.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-08 18:11
Maybe I was a bit too swingeing with my rant Scottt, though they can't be doing the business much good with all these strikes, surely it would cost them in jobs if a lot of people switched to these private providers as a result of these strikes? I do have to say though I do wonder about the logic and whether it was a good idea to open up the postal service to competition like this, seems like more pointless privatisation (like with the directory enquiries services).

Anyways, anyone had any experience of any of these other postal providers?
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 19:26
http://po8crg-politics.blogsp[....]-not-privatise-royal-mail.html
That explains the case against RM very well IMO.
dougproctor
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 19:51
Scott,
Is it worth posting RMSD items on Wednesday and will they be delivered by Thursday?
Andy and myself both have things to exchange.......
Doug
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-08 19:57

On 2007-10-08 19:26:00, mweb6161 wrote:
http://po8crg-politics.blogsp[....]-not-privatise-royal-mail.html
That explains the case against RM very well IMO.

From my reading of that that blog I understand it that RM is obliged (by the government) to deliver packages at a fixed cost. So it is not RM to blame but the government for making this so. It also says that if this obligation is lifted then prices for delivering in town would decrease but the price for delivering to out of town places would increase. personally I dont want to see that.

Anyway, that is off topic really. As far as i am aware Parcel Force are unaffected by the dispute so you could sent with them.

[ This Message was edited by: jcwhite_uk on 2007-10-08 19:00 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi