Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i iSync Plugin with Tasks-Sync available - 10.5 Leopard Update

12  Next
Author P1i iSync Plugin with Tasks-Sync available - 10.5 Leopard Update
p. p.
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-29 18:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi,

I have hacked together an iSync Plugin for SonyEricsson's P1i that syncs tasks with iCal.

It's working on my setup - hope it will do so on yours.

Get it here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/5[....]_07_hacked_to_PE2.0a1.zip.html

Some additional information:
I have only hacked about on the tasks-sync, the rest of the plugin is unaltered original SE (v1.07).
So all bugs that have been cotained before, should be contained still.
But what was working for you before should work still.

On my setup the tasks-sync works bugfree.

Instructions:
-(make a backup)
-replace your existing P1i plugin with mine
-remove P1i from iSync (even better: remove the BT pairing as well)
-re-pair phone and mac an add to iSync
-set iSync to erase and overwrite phone
-Sync
-on my setup the sync process ends with "connection lost..." something (was the same with original SE plugin - so not my fault)
-don't worry. sync again
-on my setup after the second sync everything is fine and I don't get the error again
-that's it

I'm still working on the All-Day-Event problem. If somebody has a hint where to look around for a solution, i'd be very grateful for any information. With joint forces it should really be possible to get together a decent plugin for this phone...

I wonder why SE didn't implement tasks-sync in the first place. I don't know nothing about programming and I was able to do it.

Call for help:
I have two major tasks to do:
1. the already mentioned All-Day-Event problem
2. I would love to get this thing to sync categories (AddressBook groups/Calendars) - though I don't have high hopes to be able to
(Remeber, I did't make this tasks hack because I know what I am doing, but because it was utterly easy to do.)

If anyone of you knows a phone (preferably Symbian based; UIQ/S60) - or knows some plugin for one of these phones - that does 100% perfectly in both directions sync All-Day-Events (as All-Day-Events, not 24-hour 0:00 to 0:00 Events), please tell me. I will try to implement this futionality into the P1i plugin.

I am looking forward to helpful feedback.

Best regards,
peter

Update: Works with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard / iSync 3.0

[ This Message was edited by: p. p. on 2007-11-06 13:33 ]
ckyr
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-02 01:47
It worked very well!

Thanks a lot.

I hope you will find a solution for the all-day events problem soon.
shampoodle
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-02 11:40
thank you soo much, this was really welcome.

On my set up P1i organizer:R6D23 and Mac OSx 10.4.10 it worked without hitch, apart from that Tasks set to "important" in iCal, was transfered as having an alarm on the phone.

But even so, this small hack has improved the SE plugin alot!

[edit: spelling]

[ This Message was edited by: shampoodle on 2007-10-02 10:40 ]
frei
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-02 11:42
Thanks very much, works fine...
vitalbesson
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-02 12:53
Thank you!!!

There's a bug however - it doesn't sync To Do item removal or any changes when you change it in iSync, while changes made in P1i reflects back to iSync OK...

[ This Message was edited by: vitalbesson on 2007-10-02 15:48 ]
donutz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-02 15:19
How do I install it? And remove the original SE plugin?

thanks.
p. p.
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-03 02:43

Nice to hear it works for you - with a few bugs however.
I will see if I can reproduce the bugs on my system, and see what I can do to fix them.

I was tinkering around with the All-Day-Event sync in the meantime. Right now I can sync All-Day-Events from the phone to iCal correctly, but it does not work correctly vice versa so far.

I will post an update as soon as I have something substantial.

@donutz:
If you have installed the original P1i plugin (available at the sonyericsson website),
on your Mac go to the folder /Library/PhonePlugins/
There will be a folder called "SonyEricsson_P1i_isync_plugin_v1_07.phoneplugin".
Just replace this folder with the identically named folder in my download.
vitalbesson
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-03 09:34
thank you again!!!
WokinghamUse
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-03 10:39
FABULOUS!

You won't believe I how useful this is - you should set up a paypal donate page, most of us appreciate the efforts that go into this sort of hack.

Many thanks again, and hats off to you for helping us.

p. p.
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-03 13:12

I did a very quick testing:

For your information:
I use (Intel) Mac OS 10.4.10 and my P1i is an unbranded european "QWERTZ" version (don't know what's the correct model code for this) and the organizer version is R6E30.

@shampoodle:
I do not have this bug on my system

@vitalbesson:
I do not have this bug on my system either

Maybe it's the different Firmware version on the phone, that's responsibe for this bug.
I'm afraid there is not much I can do about bugs on different systems, as I can't do any testing. I am more than happy about what I could accomplish on my system. Maybe it just works with an update of your phone firmware.
Again, I cannot understand why SE isn't doing this. They should have someone who actually understands SyncML and all this stuff, so I don't have to digg around in the insides of iSync plugins using trial and error...

If you like to send me some more detailed information about the bugs you encounter, maybe I could get an idea what's wrong.
Please always let me know the Phone/Firmware version you have.

For testing purposes I suggest you do the following:
Create a new user account on your mac. This way you will have everything clean and fresh (Addressbook, iCal, iSync etc.)
Pair your P1i with the new user account
Overwrite your Phone at the first sync (have a Backup!)
This is the only way to ensure there is not some old sync data / setting / whatever mixing things up.

vitalbesson
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-03 15:50
P.P.:

10.4.10, R6E30 too.

Apologies to everybody - surprise to me that it works correctly both ways!.. Basically it works fine if you do the change, quit iSync, quit iCal, then re-open iSync and do the sync. I discovered that it tracks changes in accordance to time, I mean changes in iCal made to ToDo item should be later for at least one minute than the same item modification time in the phone, and vice versa. Perhaps it is basic rule for any other kind of synchronization - I didn't now, sorry for that.
vitalbesson
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 17:34
Leopard update: your plug-in works superior in Leopard 10.5. All-day events works now too! Original SE plug-in however doesn't synchronize Tasks, but yours does it perfect!
fc
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 01:57

On 2007-11-02 17:34:48, vitalbesson wrote:
Leopard update: your plug-in works superior in Leopard 10.5.

Hi, great to see all you guys having a great time with the P1i.

I just got myself an Intel imac with Leopard and a SE P1i. My isync cannot even recognize the P1i as a mobile phone device, let alone sync with it!

I was fine with my last combo - a Powerbook G4 running 10.4 with a SE P900.

What am I missing here?

Any ideas?
vitalbesson
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 16:27

What am I missing here?

Any ideas?

Fc: go to 'Macintosh HD/Library' folder, create there a folder called 'Phoneplugins'
Put there "SonyEricsson_P1i_isync_plugin_v1_07.phoneplugin" folder that you downloaded above. Delete your Bluetooth pair and re-pair the phone again, say "yes" then BT pair procedure will ask you would you like to use the phone for iSync. Right after that iSync will be launched itself, looking for your phone - and will find it now.
p. p.
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-06 14:34

About the Mac OS X 10.5 Update:

Yes, it seems - without any changes to my original modified Plugin - iSync 3.0 syncs even better. (Not that SE developers have done anything - the old plugin just happens to work with Leopard correctly.)
The All-Day Events now sync correctly (in this respect my modified Plugin is identical with SE's original) and the modification to include tasks in the synchronisation works with 10.5 just as well as it did with 10.4.

I have not done a lot of testing so far. So all I can say is it seems to work well on my Mac (Intel-Mac; Mac OS X 10.5) and my P1i (and vitalbesson's).

After installing the plugin on 10.5 I have had the "first sync failed" issue again (see my first posting), but after syncing again it worked.

Maybe sometime I will have a look inside iSync 3.0's internal structures again, to see if there is something I can do regarding syncing of categories/phone folders.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi