Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Still poor consumer interest for Mobile-TV

12  Next
Author Still poor consumer interest for Mobile-TV
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 18:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.mobil.se/ArticlePa[....]/20070925162603_MOB576.dbp.asp

Translation

2007-09-25 17:32

There are lot of operators and mobile manufacturers that had hoped that mobile-tv would drive the market as mobile music has. A study made by the analyze company Gartner shows however that the consumer interest for mobile-tv right now is not as high as the industry has hoped for.

This monday a report was published by Gartner about the consumer interest for mobile-tv. It showed low interest among european users.

According to the study among europenas just 5% said the they were interested to watch tv or download video clips to their mobile phones during the forthcoming year.

In Asia the number is a bit higher. There every 5:th user would consider watch tv on their mobile phone.

Its really no supprise. Many thinks that the screens are to small to give any enjoyable experience and have difficult to understand this could be interesting. On the other hand the question is how many have had a chance to try to watch mobile-tv.

In Sweden right now there is an ongoing fight between terrestrial HDTV and mobile-tv. In the air, the signal space is narrow. Reports like this can most certanly be used as a bat in that debate.

At same time a long drawn-out fight about mobile-tv standrads has been carried out, where in Europe it has now been decided to use DVB-H.

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2007-09-25 17:46 ]
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 19:19
there's poor interest because there are hardly any devices and people aren't able to get anything decent.

I know that Qatar is the first Middle Eastern country to get Digital Mobile TV and it's nationwide, but I've not seen anyone watching anything (Except during the Asian Games 2006)
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
chuksy
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 19:25
And even when mobile TV is present in some networks in the UK, its very unaffordable.Its damn too expensive.Cost is a big factor.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 19:33
Pricing, availability, content and screen sizes all most certanly decrease the fun factor of watching TV on mobile phones.
faseeh_sm
W880 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 19:47
Even here in Dubai its costly so most of them r not intrested
Twometre
Z710 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-26 15:24
I have been trying to get a site where I can view the mobile television thing. But I have faild. Its a plity that most people are less interested when I am in need of this thing. Can someone help me please
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-26 15:39
As is often the case, I feel that mobile providers are rushing out a service before the infrastructure is up to delivering the goods.

Until such time as we can reliably watch the major television channels in realtime, good-quality streaming video format for a reasonable price, what's the point? If they spent as much time and money improving their infrastructure as they do trying to persuade us to hand our hard-earned cash over for useless gimmicks, then mobile TV might actually start going somewhere.

Then there's the red-tape, licensing, broadcasting rights etc. to wade through as well
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-09-26 15:42
I regularly download video from the BBC website and sometimes stream BBC World but I agree with Amnesia - more handsets are needed.

TV by streaming 3G is poor quality. They need demo's to show us exactly what DVB-H can do. I don't think any of the larger networks in the UK have even mentioned DVB-H broadcasting, so if doesn't take off then its largely down to them.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-09-27 12:10 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-27 01:06
Hi all,

Well with the roll out of HSDPA which by the end of the Year will be capable of 7.2mbps this will mean that live streaming of videos or even TV will be of a much higher quality and should suffer no stuttering or buffering. If this will start to attract people to actually watching mobile TV or not is a whole different question and i would say also dependant on if the Networks start offering these services at a reasonable cost or not.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-27 00:06 ]
Twometre
Z710 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-27 06:34
@goldenface, I though that you can only get videos from bbc if you are in uk or England. I contacted bbc after I have failed to get the videos and that is what they told me in responce

@dogman doesnt the tv quality depend on the quality display of the phone. Just like the quality video adapter (QVGA) and the number of pixels in pcs. Pixels meaning the number of lines used to draw the screen

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2007-09-27 10:34 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-27 11:03
@comfort mdu

Well to be totally correct it depends on the processor power the graphics chip and then the screen quality, which all in turn are depending on the speed and quality of the stream or download. All of these factors together will determine the quality of the images you see. But simple answer the better the screen taking into account all the other things being equal will give a better result obviously.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-09-27 11:25
And don't forget that DVB-H doesn't rely on the streaming of huge amounts of data to your phone, it 'picks up' the signal in the manner a radio broadcast is received, which requires less processing power and no buffering.

@comfort_mdu

They probably block international access. however point your browser in this direction:

http://rdml.no/studio1/client/87/874.rdml

and you can dip into BBC World, its data intensive so be careful about cost.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-09-27 10:32 ]
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-27 11:32
^^^^^

That's interesting, I never knew that. So it's similar to how freeview digital TV works in a way or have I got it wrong again?
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-09-27 11:45
Correct!

DVB-H signals are broadcast utilising a portion of the Digital Radio spectrum so it is digital satellite TV quality, just like your digital receiver at home. No blocking or lagging.

See Sony Ericsson and Nokia to co-operate on DVB-H interoperability .

Its taken so long for this to get off the ground, they're just not pushing it enough.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-09-27 10:53 ]
Twometre
Z710 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-28 07:21
thanks for the liknk @goldenface but I couldnt get any videos and I couldnt undestand the language used there as it was not english. I think I have to contact BBC as well for the second time now. In the meantime I can be hapy if I can have something that wil enable me to tunn into different tv channels.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi