Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1 Inbox Max size?

12  Next
Author P1 Inbox Max size?
pwwn3d
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 23:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm a reasonably heavy user of sms and I think I have come across another bug in the P1/Symbian in general. I like to have a copy of all messages for searching purposes on the phone, but since reaching around 1250/1300 messages in the inbox the phone does not receive any more messages. It will however get messages when the phone is rebooted, but only on startup (I did not try entering/leaving flight mode). Also at this point, delivery reports do not work (As they are texts just filtered by the phone).

This is apparently present in the Nokia N73, so it seems more of a Symbian bug.

Has anyone else noticed this?

(A tempary solution is to create another folder and move all the messages there)

Also when you have a large number of messages the inbox is incredibly slow to open, a very irritating bug.

Jike
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 00:16
Thats interesting. I don't have the answer to your question but I've been looking for info on maximum number of sms messages for p1 and haven't had any luck.

I use Oxygen for Symbian phones to archive sms on my N95 as excel files. I'm reluctant to pay for this to do the same for my p1i as I might as well copy and paste my self.

I'm not surprised at the messaging application slowing down due to large number of sms messages. The cpu is not young. The P1i is an interesting mix of new and old technology imo but the cpu should have been upgraded since the p990

[ This Message was edited by: Jike on 2007-09-18 23:17 ]
pwwn3d
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 12:52
I don't think there is actually any limit other than space available.

Surely they could have implemented the inbox a bit better where the phone does not have to refresh the inbox every time its opened, just new messages? (Apart from when messaging is first started, i.e after closing the app with task manager or restarting the phone)
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 14:52
I haven't had this problem on any symbian phone. I often cross the 1500 message mark and I only delete for managements sake. Perhaps its a carrier limitation or are the messages very large in size?
whtvr
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 17:56
i actually thought about this kind of issue as well, so perhaps you could try to move some of the messages to other (new) folders? it may solve you problem by simply making inbox itself smaller and since, as you said, you use sms' a lot it may also be easier for you to look around them in future;

just for the record, i don't have p1i yet, but i'll be getting one soon and i looked at your post because i tend to use sms' quite a lot as well
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 21:14

On 2007-09-18 23:31:57, pwwn3d wrote:
Also when you have a large number of messages the inbox is incredibly slow to open, a very irritating bug.

This is not a bug, but the behaviour of most messaging/mail apps, if overloaded. Even on your pc.

Don't forget that it is a phone, consider its cpu speed, ram and available storage space & treat it accordingly
HTC HD2 [16 GB] + SE HBH-DS980
pwwn3d
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 22:56
As I said, a messaging app that had a better management backend that didn't require to reload the inbox (presumably from storage) each time it was viewed, could surely do it.

Some of the messages are long, on average probably ~2-3.
Jike
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 23:53
Anyone contacted SE about this issue? I haven't experienced this problem yet so can't replicate the problem. My sms messages are not large atm

[ This Message was edited by: Jike on 2007-09-19 22:54 ]
pwwn3d
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 00:54
@Jike: I doubt they'd do anything, in the first place it only affects a small number of users. I think its a Symbian problem really, not sure what level of interaction SE has there anyway. (Might mean theres a slightly better chance of it getting fixed though I guess)
Jike
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 01:17
Pwwn3d that sounds spot on.

The P1i is targeted at business / corporate customers though or have I read the marketing wrong..? That makes me think if they are aware of the problem they might introduce a change of behaviour 0f messaging application in subsequent firmware updates.

Maybe p1i owners are more into email than sms messages (hence the variouse versions of blackberry connect software) but no harm in making SE aware of the problem.

I'm on my 2nd P1i after returning the first one due to loose / squeaky bits. This one is much better so will soon be my primary device

[ This Message was edited by: Jike on 2007-09-20 00:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jike on 2007-09-20 00:19 ]
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 01:21
its a symbian issue i think. bb connect suffers from the same refresh of the inbox but combats the issue by having a limit of 400 messages at once (sent and received, split about 100 and 300 respectively)
Jike
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 01:39
Oh. Syncing sms with outlook would be very welcome then. Anyone know of 3rd party software to do this?

[ This Message was edited by: Jike on 2007-09-20 00:40 ]
PBhatia
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-04-18 06:52
I am Facing the same problem with my P1i ... donno what to do.. max i can pull it to 1334 messages. any suggestions anyone?
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-18 09:40
Best guess: the ones who have trouble are the ones who have some messages stored on the sim, have a few bluetooth- downloads, and mms lying around. And at one point or another the lookup locally is so slow it makes the way the remote get/send behaves fail. Could even be something that doesn't show up on all nets - but I don't think there's any doubt that if it was programmed differently, this wouldn't have been a problem. I.e., you might get slowdowns when you actually accessed the list - but something's obviously done so it interferes with the functions of the phone at some unpredictable point or another.

And yeah - not very easy to reproduce - unless you actually have a real testing environment. You know, like, I don't know - a firm doing this for a living would have?
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-18 12:36
How about Message Storer in order to save your lives?Seems to me it's just a NORMAL limit of a limited device.1334 sms'?In a phone?Every narcisist's dream!hhehee
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi