Author [wanted] K850 VGA video recording
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 15:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-09-20 10:52:13, jeebus444 wrote:
Hey kids,

I just noticed that no one on this thread has actually posted a video from the K850.

Well, here it is, from a Sept. 19th review on GSMArena

Pg. 4 of review

K850 Video Recording Sample

Im afraid the n95 is still far superior.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 15:23
@Aware, Sorry that I miss-understood your post on the previous page. And thank you for clarifying it.

Like others I TOO am peeved that SE has yet to followup quality video recording in their phones since the W900. (surprised not too many video recording posts where submitted in threads taken by the W900).

This is what really bothers me about the K850 (besides no revamp in Calendar features). They give us a Tri-band HSDPA phone - WITH not only video calling but also Video Sharing (that cool feature in the last race on Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift). EVEN the ability to adjust the video-call video/audio quality YET, not go beyond qvga? Cybershot cameras can do vga recording for quite some time & I had hoped that the cybershot headliner would be capable of the same and ship with this ability in a stable matter at minimal 24fps. Lastly they offer us the ability to VIDEO BLOG! Sure a 30min video recorded at 30fps @ VGA resolution will still take a while to append and post over HSDPA, so disable that resolution to blog, but give us VGA @ 30fps (24fps acceptable) for personal escapades.

Whats even strange is their HIGH End communications model doesn't have this ability.

I just don't think the engineers or designers or even top brass at SE use their company phones as daily main devices. SE needs to get off their asses and start leading in form meets function.

PS I will be buying the K850i because it gives me 3G on 850/1900mhz, slightly larger & crystal clear screen, slightly better camera, and video blogging & calling which I can use with my provider.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 15:38
@mib, Well I agree about N95, but I thought that K850 sample was actually rather good compared to most other H.263 video recording devices I've seen. But H.263 is a crap standard let's face it. It's basically 3GP, low bandwidth video designed primarily for streaming on slow mobile phone networks, not for usable home video.

I'm not too interested in using video that is H.263 tbh. I'd love to try an N95 as a secondary device (like I use my xda mini), but at 150% the cost of a P1 and with no touch screen, it basically eliminates it as an option for me. So I'm not considering even using video seriously until atleast H.264 240x320 is available a K series, or a W960 type handset, whichever comes first.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-20 14:47 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 16:06

On 2007-09-20 15:23:01, Prom1 wrote:
PS I will be buying the K850i because it gives me 3G on 850/1900mhz, slightly larger & crystal clear screen, slightly better camera, and video blogging & calling which I can use with my provider.

So despite all you just complained about you still will get the K850? Why? Because in the end SE have the edge in the areas it counts. The trade off is that SE is not as current with some technologies as Nokia. But they are loyal to their user base who like better cameras, clearer screens, and smoother UI's, and put up with slower connectivity and poor video performance.

Another loyalty that SE have, a market segment that Nokia completely ignores, is the touchscreen user. So I don't see the K850 lack of good video as some sort of attack on loyal users. It just is what it is. Every mobile phone manufacturer has it strengths and weakness. None of it is personal. SE decided to commit some cash to increasing the variety in their line up. This has to have been an expensive process. I feel that once this phase in their market plan is complete we will see a return to leading edge tecnology in top of the line phones once again.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 16:29
Yup I'm still buying the K850i - natural progression of features with the same voice quality, incredible GUI, fast system, and VERY Stable!

I don't think I'll be leaving SE soon until some other company gets their phone GUI just as good, logical, and intuitive. Samsung got close with theirs but not intuitive.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 16:34
h264 @ vga is too demanding,thats why even nokia took the way of mpeg4.

As i understand,k850 uses mp4 for video recording.
Still no where near nokia's in quality and bitrate..
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 01:28
K850 uses H.263 video. Technically, H.263 is not mpeg 4. H.263 video is pretty crappy, it's basically 3GP. H.264 is considerably better.

H.264 recording however, also known as mpeg4 part 10, is not supported by K850 (according to whitepaper).

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-21 02:22 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 01:35

On 2007-09-20 16:29:48, Prom1 wrote:
Yup I'm still buying the K850i - natural progression of features with the same voice quality, incredible GUI, fast system, and VERY Stable!

I don't think I'll be leaving SE soon until some other company gets their phone GUI just as good, logical, and intuitive. Samsung got close with theirs but not intuitive.

I'm with you there. The SE GUI is the primary reason (but by no means the only reason) that I prefer SE handsets.
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 06:53

On 2007-09-21 01:28:58, max_wedge wrote:
K850 uses H.263 video. Technically, H.263 is not mpeg 4. H.263 video is pretty crappy, it's basically 3GP. H.264 is considerably better.

H.264 recording however, also known as mpeg4 part 10, is not supported by K850 (according to whitepaper).

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-21 02:22 ]

The samples from gsmarena and other sites use mpeg4..
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 07:11
H.263. Not techincally mpeg though it can be encapsulated in an mp4 container. an mpeg4 stream in an mp4 container is different to a 3gp stream in a mp4 container.

mpeg4 and .mp4 are not interchangeable terms. Just because it has .mp4 on the end doesn't mean it's mpeg4.

However I checked the gsm download, it is indeed mpeg4 (according to quicktime). So I don't know whether it's been re-sampled or what, but the K850 whitepaper does say K850 only records in H.263

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-21 06:14 ]
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 07:28
yes,im very much aware of all those..
It seems those are mpeg4-v streams..

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 07:37
I guess it's a loose definition.

either way, it's a low quality stream not the higher quality H.264.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-24 13:04

On 2007-09-21 07:37:18, max_wedge wrote:
I guess it's a loose definition.

either way, it's a low quality stream not the higher quality H.264.

I checked out some more vids in this thread: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=153624&start=60

and I have to say it's definitely H.263, but it's still good for H.263. AS a comparison, recording quality is about the same or a bit poorer than N70 when the subject is moving quickly, but slightly better quality when the subject is motionless or moving slowly.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-24 14:20
@Max Wedge,

This SE are growing their market share and improving profits before they will start producing what so many of you seem to want is stating to wear a little thin. This has been said since the launch of the P990 over a year ago now, just how long and how big a market share are they going to need before they start delivering maybe another 3-5 years will see them in a position to do this ? This has to be the worst and most feeble justification for not updating specs i have ever heard. mainly because the have proved they can do it, as they have in the K850 minus of course still VGA video recording. Just not their so called flagship smart phone devices which IMO makes it all the more strange.

As to SE are the only ones to offer a touchscreen UI well come next year that is going to change when Nokia are due to launch a S60 touchscreen device and you can bet as a premium or even flagship device it will have everything that is up to date and available spec wise. Even though i am no longer a fan of touch screen devices, i am curious to see just what they deliver and how well implemented it is but i do expect it to be quite an amazing device especially with the wealth of both free apps direct from Nokia and either free or paid apps from other developers. Which means setting it up to do what most need is just so easy and hassle free.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-24 13:22 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 00:18

On 2007-09-24 14:20:27, Dogmann wrote:
@Max Wedge,

This SE are growing their market share and improving profits before they will start producing what so many of you seem to want is stating to wear a little thin. This has been said since the launch of the P990 over a year ago now, just how long and how big a market share are they going to need before they start delivering maybe another 3-5 years will see them in a position to do this ? This has to be the worst and most feeble justification for not updating specs i have ever heard. mainly because the have proved they can do it, as they have in the K850 minus of course still VGA video recording. Just not their so called flagship smart phone devices which IMO makes it all the more strange.

As to SE are the only ones to offer a touchscreen UI well come next year that is going to change when Nokia are due to launch a S60 touchscreen device and you can bet as a premium or even flagship device it will have everything that is up to date and available spec wise. Even though i am no longer a fan of touch screen devices, i am curious to see just what they deliver and how well implemented it is but i do expect it to be quite an amazing device especially with the wealth of both free apps direct from Nokia and either free or paid apps from other developers. Which means setting it up to do what most need is just so easy and hassle free.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-24 13:22 ]

It could be another 5 years mate, it's not gonna be that easy to creep up on Nokia. And to say they don't update specs??? They are updating their specs as often as Nokia, but because they are behind the eight ball to start with, they haven't caught up with Nokia, but this is not the same as "never updating their specs". BTW, I'm happy to discuss this with you, but I don't appreciate you using words such as "feeble" and "excuse". I might be wrong sometimes but I don't make feeble arguments, I alway have put a lot of thought into my arguments. And I don't make excuses for anyone. If you don't agree with me fine but what makes you think you can respond with such derision and contempt? I mean come one buddy we are all friends here let's be nice to eachother hey?

If you weren't biased against SE, you wouldn't see their current models as such failures. The fact is SE have some great phones at the moment, and you say we are making excuses for them because they don't have phones with as much current tech as Nokia?? They have a tiny marketshare compared to Nokia, they have a fraction of the development money to churn into new models, of course they are going to cut corners somewhere. Atleast they cut corners on features and not quality.

Oh and about touchscreens, so now that Nokia are releasing a touchscreen suddenly they are going to do it better than anyone else? What's wrong with SE touchscreens anyway? I doubt you have much experience with them. So your Nokia bias shows clearly in the way you assume Nokia will do touchscreen better than anyone.

And also let's wait and see whether their touchscreen device is a flagship device or just a niche device like the communicator, with not much going for it but a touchscreen and maybe push email (ie: a business handset without all the "unnecesary" multimedia punch of the N95.

I also love (not) how you even manage to make out that the touchscreen is suddenly the obvious thing to have in a flagship device now that Nokia are bringing one out, but still can't give any credit to SE for having had the touchscreen all along. A year ago you openly derided anyone as irrelevant if they used SE Touchscreen to argue that SE had an edge on Nokia in the PDA segment. Now it seems Nokia can ignore the need for Toucscreen no longer. The fact is, if you choose to do your homework, Nokia have had problems getting the Touchscreen aspect of s60 working adequately (s90 was a flop too), so don't take a Nokia failure and turn it into a virtue.

They finally after years of development get a touchscreen to market (the last touch screen they had ran UIQ), and you claim this as a coup? Yet SE finally get HSDPA and all you can say is "what took them so long?".

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-24 23:28 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic