Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > [wanted] K850 VGA video recording

Author [wanted] K850 VGA video recording
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 12:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@dogmann
that p990 firmware talk was true. had a so called p990 reunion in greece during the year and it was supposed to go ahead, why it didnt im not sure. Im sure Ares will confirm this meeting too.....

oh, btw, never said this person was Aussie, though im sure australia do know what goes on in the company overseas. After all, its all

again, your choice whether you want to believe this or not. i for one do...
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 14:10
Okay......

Prom1 my statement was not made to you...or to >500, or thecoolsha...directly. Yourself...I don't know if you are quoting VGA capability from a founded source or not, tbh......but I DO know from where the others are getting their information, and it was to those sources(via the posters here, if necessary) I was aiming the challenge......

What I have, or where I stand in relation to others, I don't think is the point here; it wasn't even considered by myself when making the statement(although, I doubt very much that anyone with a retail, warranted T650(K850's not available right now) would be prepared to risk WSODing it trying to make it record VGA video with prototype firmware). I'm sorry if you felt it was.
But this isn't a light subject for SE owners, it's ~two years since W900(with specific tailored hardware) could manage QVGA/30fps recording, and so many people have been crying out for half decent video capability......yet SE has decided we're not worthy, and can put up with QCIF/15fps......
......and at the same time, these insiders are saying 'oh, but SE's phones CAN record VGA, they were doing it in the labs'......that's going to cheer up people who have just bought/received on contract their new phone(and are moaning because it CAN'T do decent video), isn't it......
{I Emailed SE last year, when I got my K800, about the fact that Eldar's prototype K8 had TrackID, and retail phones didn't. Their reply?? 'This may be implemented in future software updates' The actuality?? SE kept it out of K800 firmware, then put it IN......to K810 firmware......hmmm, so they expect joe public to purchase a whole new device, to get one UI feature......}
And that's what is winding me up. I assume you're aware of the modified camera drivers available for K800, yes?? It's already possible using these, to get K800/810 to record at 30fps...in fact just last week(or the week before), someone rewrote the K550 driver, and even THAT can record in 24fps(with a maximum of ~31fps, when the recording was analysed - the threads are in the software section, if you want to read them)! These drivers ALSO specify the recording resolution, however, it was depressing to find that, even when set to QVGA res, the capability has been limited by SE, in the MAIN firmware(drivers are in the filsystem side, hence modifyable)......to QCIF......
......which of course adds to the tension when the 'VGA capabilty' statement keeps getting shouted about by people with insider sources......

Also worth consideration: I have SHARP 904SH sat here with me, their 18 month-old(before even N93), DB2020 processored flagship cameraphone. WITHOUT any special INVIDIA processor, it can record VGA video(although I can't test it, I don't have a VodaKK simcard), albeit, I believe, at 15fps......but it's quite possible. And this phone runs same processor as SEs, and is based on the same Operating System, OSE.
I also have here right now, Samsung G600. With a WORSE processor than DB2020, even this phone can record VGA video(again only at 15fps).
Knowing this, are you happy that K850/T650 can apparently match their ability, but SE have locked out this ability, because they deem us not worthy?? Even worse, would you be prepared to wait until the replacement model comes along, before SE might actually realise it's possibly the most-demanded feature they're lacking, and allow VGA - of course, by which time, all the other manufacturers will probably be working on/releasing DVD/HD quality recording......and we'll still be told 'Oh, they CAN do it, they did it in the labs(but it been taken out of retail products)'......

And don't worry, I've been looking at this specific 'problem' for the last month or so(and challenging those with unfounded claims, ask >500 if you wish), and will continue to do so, until something concrete is proved, or disproved. I like cold, hard facts, and know for a fact, that when a corporation states what is or is not possible, they usually give the consumer the fob-off, as in this case......
......which makes it all the more annoying that those sources who claim VGA recording possible, cannot(or even worse, will not) provide anything more than this claim, even when they are in the best available position to do so(far better than someone like myself, for certain)......

I still would like to see this VGA-capable firmware, and will keep working at it(and if I CAN obtain it, I'll tell the world the results, they have a right to know)......but people who should know better should stop giving consumers false hopes, it's just not fair on them......

And SE should pull their fingers out(before they get left behind), period......

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 14:28
Sooooo will the K850 record as well as a N95?
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-19 14:55

On 2007-09-19 14:28:07, JK wrote:
Sooooo will the K850 record as well as a N95?

No because K850 records at QVGA and N95 at VGA
sesukaku
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 15:34
guyss.. i don't think this thread is helping us in anyway.. what we need is the phone is ACTUALLY can record @VGA 30 fps in the RETAIL version, not the one in the lab.. i don't give my damm about the K850 ability in lab... well.. because of the same reason.. i am not going to buy SE phone at least 2-3 years from now, if the situation gets better.. in the meanwhile.. i will look for some great-cheap nokia offers.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-19 16:13

On 2007-09-19 15:34:21, sesukaku wrote:
guyss.. i don't think this thread is helping us in anyway.. what we need is the phone is ACTUALLY can record @VGA 30 fps in the RETAIL version, not the one in the lab.. i don't give my damm about the K850 ability in lab... well.. because of the same reason.. i am not going to buy SE phone at least 2-3 years from now, if the situation gets better.. in the meanwhile.. i will look for some great-cheap nokia offers.

That's the main reason why I created this thread. Because I wanted to make see that the consumers want VGA @ 30 fps outside the labs, meaning in retail versions. Not to create some sort of discussion with comparing it to N95, hardware, etc. etc.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-19 16:32
i don't think it's any great conspiracy. Even if it can run at vga, if they haven't made it available in retail handsets it's for one reason and one reason only, and that is that it's unstable and crashworthy on the K850 hardware. The K750 can run at 30fps with a modified cam driver, but it crashes all over the place. So what hardware can do, and what it can do properly are two different things.

Does anyone really believe such an N95 equaliser as vga recording would be artificially disabled in the K850? I mean, why? To what benefit?

mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 04:40
i agree with max_wedge.

Maybe in the lab, they tried VGA but it only works with a much lower quality (i.e. much lower bitrate). Of course, this kind of quality will not be acceptable in the production so SE settles for a more usable QVGA.

Yes, you can push the phone slow CPU to do higher resolution video. But something got to give i.e. you need to lower quality. W900 has QVGA @30fps but the video+sound quality (note: not framerate) that came out was considerably worse than the N70 CIF @15fps video.

Maybe G600 (or some other camphone) with slow cpu can record VGA@15fps but at what quality? Is the VGA frame quality (picture, color & sound) is anywhere near N95? I highly doubt it. At N95's quality, 1 minute of video record took about 20Mb of space. So if you need to produce the same quality video as N95 (viewable on PC/tv), then you need to have some graphic/video chip like N95.

shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 05:05
On the defense g600 at vga is similar to other s40's like 6233 at vga...
If i remember right,those nokia's uP's are similar to one in k800/db2020..
but sonyericsson being sonyericsson,i expect no miracles..
So not much point discussing hypothetical vga 30fps video's..

btw,does k850/w910 play vga videos?
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 08:40
I made a couple of vids with my N95 this weekend and Woweee I was impressed even with zooming into things!

I zoomed into the the rimz of a Ferrari from about 10m away and everything was clear even the drilled brake discs!!

Come on how hard can it be??
jeebus444
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 10:52
Hey kids,

I just noticed that no one on this thread has actually posted a video from the K850.

Well, here it is, from a Sept. 19th review on GSMArena

Pg. 4 of review

K850 Video Recording Sample
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 12:15
that's pretty good for H.263 qvga. H.264 would be nicer.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 14:49
Looks like a 15fps video to me. Quality of video is not too good also. My 2 years old N70 takes better video than this.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 14:52
Actually, I was thinking the video on my N70 was a lot jerkier ad grainier.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 15:01

On 2007-09-20 14:52:02, max_wedge wrote:
Actually, I was thinking the video on my N70 was a lot jerkier ad grainier.

nope. mine only looks grainier under low light. But in bright lights it is very crisp. Sound of the N70 video sound is definitely better. The K850 sample video still looks very jerky to me. Still very far off compared to the smoothness of the N95 30fps video.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic