Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > Change menu icons without far/xs+

Author Change menu icons without far/xs+
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 07:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Okay people's, here it is! The guide you've all been waiting for.

SE have a nice little developer feature that allows you to create shortcuts within the FS to files outside the FS. So for example when the phone looks for icon1_unselected.png, it looks in tps/preset/system/menu then sees a shortcut pointing to usb/other/menu, and shows the file at that location instead.

Using this principle, we can create shortcuts to menu sets within the phone's user accessible memory, and therefore we can change menu sets without using far or xs++ (once we have installed the shortcuts - that part needs far or xs++). All that is required is a phone restart to read the new icon set.

Here is a pack including instructions and the menu shortcuts you will need.

Download the pack, and follow these instructions:

1. Using FAR or XS++, copy the shortcuts to tpa/preset/system/menu
2. create a folder in usb/other called 'menu'. Create a folder in usb/other/menu for each of your custom menus. Menu icons must be named in the format icon1_selected.png, icon1_unselected.png etc.
3. The menu set that will be displayed, will be the one at this path: usb/other/menu/live, so before disconnecting far, name one of your custom menu folders to "live"
4. Exit FAR, then start your phone.
5. In future to to change menus, simply rename one of the menu sets in the menu folder to "live", then restart the phone. To add new menus simply copy them using the usb cable or bluetooth to "phone memory/other/menu"

You only need to do this step if you want to create your own shortcuts for different named menu icons or to make the shortcuts point to another location for example card/others/menu/live (if you want to use your mem card instead of phone memory).
Included is the menu shortcut creation program. To use it, run a command prompt and type se_shortcut /path/file (where path is the path you want the shortcut to point to, and file is the name of the file you want the shortcut to point to.) You will end up with a file called file.@ (or whatever the name of the file you are pointing to example icon1_unselected.png.@)

http://rapidshare.com/files/56045875/change_menu_pack.rar.html

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-16 06:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-16 15:10 ]
Alexandra
W810 white
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 07:01
Cool [addsig]
The A team
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-09-16 11:44
i copied all the shortcuts to tpa/preset/system/menu.
Part 2 i'm confused. When you say create a folder called "Menu" inside usb/other, i can't find the folder called usb/other. Is it already a sub category that's existing or do i have to create a usb/other folder?

I'm using xs++. Help would be appreciated.

Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 11:55

On 2007-09-16 11:44:56, The A team wrote:
Part 2 i'm confused. When you say create a folder called "Menu" inside usb/other, i can't find the folder called usb/other. Is it already a sub category that's existing or do i have to create a usb/other folder?

It's the folder called "Other" on your memory card, I assume.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2007-09-16 13:48
@max: what about camdrivers or displaydrivers? Can swap them using this method?
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Alexandra
W810 white
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 13:51
Yes I think [addsig]
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 13:54
To quote qwerty12 from se-nse:

@ files dont work for files in /ifs.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 14:43

On 2007-09-16 11:55:59, thecoolsha wrote:

On 2007-09-16 11:44:56, The A team wrote:

It's the folder called "Other" on your memory card, I assume.

no not the memory card, but in the phone memory.

In far manager, after connecting to FS, you will see the usb folder. The usb folder represents the phones internal user memory. ie: themes, pictures,other etc folders. When you copy files via usb cable (normally) to the phones memory it's being copied to the usb folder.

So using FAR you create a "menu" folder in usb/other. Which basically just means create a menu folder in the phones other folder (but not the one on memory card)

You could also create the usb/other/menu folder by using the file manager and creating a menu folder in other in phone memory, but the menu won't work until you have copied menu icons and ml file to usb/other/menu/live, so you should do this step while still in Far Manager.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-16 13:47 ]
bogdan0
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 15:05
I tried to use FAR but it stoped at the below screen. why?

what is wrong?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 15:16
don't know, make sure your contacts are clean, take battery out and then put it back, and try again.
Xen0nflash
K800 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-09-16 15:38
can i take the .@ files form one theme and use it for another?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 15:42
yep, as long as you use the same naming convention for the icons, and they are in the other/menu/live folder in your phone memory.
Xen0nflash
K800 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-09-16 15:51
do i have to copy the folder shortucts or the files in it?
BOSSHOGG
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-16 16:01
This is a guide i typed up elswhere a while back, works a similar way.

I have a menu.ml.@ shorcut pointing to an upload folder in others on my memory card, i also have an icons follder in others. Choose 2 menus to start with, you can't have 2 that both have icons named icon1_selected.png etc, if you have you should rename the icons icon1_selectedipod.png or whatever the menu is named, and you'll need to fix each menus menu.ml to look for the new names.

Put all the icons in others/upload/icons and create shortcuts for all the icons. Put a menu.ml in others/upload and create a shortcut for this. Place all the shortcuts into a menu folder on your PC, delete(back it up first) your phones menu folder from tpa/preset/system with FAR and upload the new menu folder containing all shortcuts into tpa/preset/system with FAR.

Now when you restart your phone it'll use whatevr menu is in others/upload
The menu not in use should be named menuipod.ml(or whatever), when you want to use the other menu just use the phone to rename the first menu.ml to menuequalizer.ml and rename menuipod.ml to menu.ml restart phone and it'll use the ipod menu.

You can do this with as many menus as you like, as long as the icons are in others/icons and the shortcuts are in the menu folder with FAR.

I have 7 menus on my phone to choose from. I hope that helps, but it sounds confusing lol.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-16 16:06

On 2007-09-16 15:51:29, Xen0nflash wrote:
do i have to copy the folder shortucts or the files in it?

the files with @ on the end ARE the shortcuts. Don't copy the "shortcut" folder, just the shortcuts themselves. So instead of having menu.ml in the tpa/preset/system/menu folder, you have menu.ml.@ instead. And the same for the icon shortcuts.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi