Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 131415  Next
Author iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-19 00:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Reasons being that in the past technology in mobile phones hasn't really taken off. The USA never even adopted text messaging as a major format, let alone much else.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 00:57
those deals int very good im staying away from 02 (Unless they impress me)
and anything with a "iP" lol
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
riffola
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 01:04
US tarrifs are far far far more generous than the highway robbery that exists in the UK.

On T-Mobile USA you can get 1000 mins with nights and weekend for $50/month, throw in 400 SMS/MMS for $3.99, unlimited TMO to TMO for $6.99, and if you want unlimited Edge + TMO HotSpots for $19.99 more.

You can't beat that in the UK from what I've seen.

Our phone selections are crappy partially thanks to T-Mobile's own stupid corporate policies. On the whole we do all right though.
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 01:07
Ok those tariffs are mince! but believe you me the iPhone will sell itself.

I've been playing with my new iPod touch and the GUI is amazing its a pleasure to use and to type on its a so easy.

Once normal consumers try the iPhone in person they'll want one!
OBEY GAINT
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 01:17
iPhone should of gone to T-Mobile UK as there data is better or even "3".
02 are poor in Data terms and I think there willing to loose long existing customers like myself to this,

Shove out the old bring in the new
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 01:59
I think the iPhone is an utter waste of time you know. It's £269 so one of the most exspensive phones available on any UK tariff, that price does not drop the more expensive the tariff is. You can't install any third party apps on it like Tom Tom which I use on my P1i.
And as for launching an edge device in the UK WTF come on Apple, this europe NOT the US. I mean even O2 said they only have 30% covered and I'll bet £50 that it won't go any higher as they know that a 3G iPhone will be out next year which is the network they've invested in. And WiFi hotspots? Where? Not exactly commonplace or free in the UK and from what I hear again O2's hotspots are few and far between and doesn't The Cloud network only cover London?

I think you'll just be wasting money if you buy one, and I love Apple, I am getting a nice new Macbook Pro next month when Leapord's launched but the iPhone is a joke IMO.

An iTouch iPod and any other phone is a million times better if you ask me.

On 2007-09-18 22:11:47, Daedalus85 wrote:
Worked in the USA and it was more expensive there.

Er nope, it's going to cost you MORE in the UK as usual.

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2007-09-19 01:03 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 02:15

On 2007-09-18 23:41:06, JoolsG4 wrote:
Yeah but the US doesn't have so many of the advanced phones, generous tariffs and networks we're used to for less money here...

The iPhone really is amazing compared with what most Americans are used to. But its not so amazing for us Europeans (except the UI & media player).

Sony Ericsson phones are quite hard to find offered by any of the major US networks. They all seem to sell 2-3 year old Samsungs, LGs and Nokias.

easy there with the sweeping generalizations.. as phones have become quadband now for the most part a lot of phones have been picked up by carriers in north america...

most of the mainstream products are widely available... i'm talking k790/chocolates/v3's /d900's/tytn's etc..etc... 2 years ago maybe... but nowadays every grandma has a v3 or w810... not the most technologically advanced... but we're not exactly in the stone age for example the w580 was picked up at the same time in the UK and Rogers in Canada

however the cdma users are lacking in hardware..

@Marc.. well i can say that the safari browser is better then the safari based nokia browser... it's just more powerful... speeds are comparable on edge... based on n95 and iphone...but the iphone has the edge in things such as ajax. There is actually a lot of third party app development right now.. http://www.modmyiphone.com/cmps_index.php
check it out a lot of the stuff is beta but there's been a lot of progress.. for example apollo im would be comparable to agile messenger.
filemanagers, flickr uploading etc..etc...

also a lot of web-based apps... check out seeqpod.com online music streaming... a very powerful tool that works on the iphone safari browser but not on the s60 on operamini...

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-09-19 01:23 ]
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 04:40
Well just to give some of you a heads up on Edge speeds. I am currently on T-mobile UK and Edge Enabled (didnt think they had edge but thats another story) and just ran a test on my iphone and got 354kbps download. So really not to bad.

Ok so on my N95 I am getting somewhere between 1.2Mbps but really all I all need it if my net is down or something so far Edge seems ok.

Big bummer that its not 3G as it renders my iphone useless in Japan and I had to also cut the plastic around my headphones to accomodate the headphone jack.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-19 09:30
The Cloud covers plenty of places, lots of pubs and coffee shops for example use it. Also, all O2 shops have been kitted out with The Cloud Free WiFi in store for all customers to use when their in our shops.

As for the data packages, looking at it all they've done it offer the standard high street tariffs (which weren't bad to start with) and added unlimited EDGE and unlimited WiFi for £10 a month, which I believe you'll find is pretty good. Yes it sucks that it's tied to the iphone, and it will sell itself on a tariff without data (almost EVERY customer I've spoken to about the iphone only wants it 'because its cool' and has literally ZERO intention of taking photos, surfing the net, listening to music or doing f-all besides calling and texting people. I kid you not....).
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 09:56
The Metro has a half page on the iphone today, with the following headline
"iPhone can be yours for a measly £1,259"
it highlighted the 18 month ownership cost for the £55 tarrif saying its also £69 more than in the US.

"Every weekday morning some 1.12million copies are distributed across the UK making Metro the world's largest free newspaper and the fourth biggest newspaper in the UK."
http://www.metro.co.uk/about

Looks like the British arent as easily fooled as they are in the US by Apple's brainwash style marketing....

Nokia N95 + 2Gb MicroSD + Sony MDR-EX85

[ This Message was edited by: batesie on 2007-09-19 08:57 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 10:08
@themarques

Funny you should mention the fact you had to cut your headphones to get them to fit as i just read that some where else just now. To be honest there is no way i am going to start risking wrecking my Shure headphones just to fit one device. I really don't get why on a Music playing device they have used a recessed jack seems incredibly silly and pointless to me as you either have to resort to cutting your current headphones jack plug or buying an adapter what a total pain and plain stupid IMO.

@all

I know this thread is talking about the 02 deal but just thought it may be worth mentioning as the iPhone will also be available from the Apple shops same as in the US. IMO that means there is nothing to stop anyone going into a Apple shop and buying one outright with no contract and then using all the available and easy to follow guides to unlock it and use it with any Sim. In fact there is already a listing on E-Bay for a service where you can either take, send or meet someone that will do it for you @£50 for those that aren't comfortable doing these sorts of things on their devices.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-19 09:09 ]
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-19 10:16
@Marc

I would have thought that you had to sign up to O2 even if you purchased it at the Apple store! It surprises me they aren't forcing the deal on you in there too!
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 12:13
You sign up to the contract through iTunes at home on your PC/Mac - you don't do it in-store.

Therefore, like in the US, you can just walk into an Apple, O2 or CPW store and buy the phone for £269, without signing up for a contract in-store.

However, note that the UK iPhones come with version 1.1.1 firmware which isn't yet released, and therefore the current activation hacks and SIM unlock processes have not been tested on it.

I would be very surprised if the current methods still work on the v1.1.1 iPhone. Apple said at the launch they are actively closing the loopholes.

But if they do still work, you could buy an iPhone for £269, (h)activate it for use with iTunes and probably use an existing O2 SIM. Or SIM unlock it for use on another network.
scottt
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 12:28
Me thinks i will just be buying one outright from an Apple Store and sticking my current O2 Contract sim in

The question is, does the N95 make way for it or does it stay....
I my 32GB iPhone 3GS

batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-19 12:47

On 2007-09-19 12:28:07, scottt wrote:
Me thinks i will just be buying one outright from an Apple Store and sticking my current O2 Contract sim in

The question is, does the N95 make way for it or does it stay....

you cant just put you sim in and go. the only way would be taking an 18 month contract with o2, or by doing the unofficial unlock....
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic