Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 131415  Next
Author iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 15:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
well theres no way i could go back to edge on a primary phone now, everything would take 5 times longer than i does now!

it would be going backwards for anyone thats been using 3.5G HSPDA... [addsig]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 16:16
@Dragon Eye

Didn't realise EDGE was 284 odd maybe it won't be so bad after all will need to see it in action to really tell. So once released will take my E61 which has 3G and compare it with the iPhone as both use the Safari based browser which IMO is easily the best browser on mobile devices and is also extremely fast, kills dead both Opera and PIE IMHO.

@batesie

Although HSDPA will reach 7.2mbps by the end of this year at the latest their are very few devices currently able to take advantage of it, in fact the only device i am aware of is the Toshiba G900 and that at the moment has it's own set of problems to deal with. There are quite a few that have 3.8mbps capabilities but the P1 isn't one of them as it doesn't have HSDPA unlike the K850 that will.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-18 15:17 ]
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 16:23

On 2007-09-18 16:16:27, Dogmann wrote:
@batesie

Although HSDPA will reach 7.2mbps by the end of this year at the latest their are very few devices currently able to take advantage of it, in fact the only device i am aware of is the Toshiba G900 and that at the moment has it's own set of problems to deal with. There are quite a few that have 3.8mbps capabilities but the P1 isn't one of them as it doesn't have HSDPA unlike the K850 that will.

True, but the N95 is a Catagory 6 HSPDA device so supports up to 3.6Mbit/s and thats 15 times faster than the max iphone speed.... [addsig]
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-18 16:35
how come it says the iphone will be available from the 19th of October on the O2 website? is that to preorder?
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 16:40
@Marc.. just so you know on average i hit about 160-175 in speeds tests through edge...
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 16:52

On 2007-09-18 16:40:04, DragonEye wrote:
@Marc.. just so you know on average i hit about 160-175 in speeds tests through edge...

is that consistant throughout the day? as ive noticed differences between using my 3.5g connection at 07:00 and 19:00hrs for instance.... [addsig]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 17:22
i only use data during the day ... in a business core zone... otherwise i'm on wifi... chilling at home...but i don't test speeds that often....
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 18:03
Is there anyone who's actually gonna buy one on contract with O2 now we know the details?

So far, since the announcement, I haven't seen a single person on any forum say "I'm going to get one".

I don't think it will be anything like the success Apple/O2 hope in the UK...

If it is possible to buy just the phone for £269 from an AppleStore, take it home and (h)acktivate it without signing up for an 18 month contract, and stick in an O2 PAYG SIM, I may be tempted.

Otherwise its a W610 + iPod touch for me!
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-18 18:22
Where Can I Buy iPhone?

iPhone will be launching exclusively on the O2 network on 19th October 2007 and will be available at:
O2 stores
Carphone Warehouse stores
Apple Retail Stores

Find the closest O2 retail store to your location.

iPhone will also be available to order online from O2 Online, Carphone Warehouse and the Apple Online Store.

I see they have now changed the above date to the 9th of November!

I wont be buying one on contract as for me it seems a complete rip off, £35/month for 200mins & 200 texts and unlimited data shocking plus £270 for the phone and I'm tied in for 18months! No thanks!

To give everyone a chance, there'll be a limit of two iPhones per customer in-store and online. Oh, and we're afraid we can't accept cash.

Why cant they accept cash!?

[ This Message was edited by: Nanu on 2007-09-18 17:23 ]
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-18 18:42
Is the US handset exactly the same hardware wise as the UK model due to me launched?

Thanks
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-18 19:10
This explains I guess why O2 announced last week or so that their upgrading their GPRS network to support EDGE. So looks like O2 will be pumping out the most they can with this one.

I happened to go into work today on my day off, and an iphone training booklet was thrust in my face and I was told to read and complete it.

Needless to say I probably won't, I'll probably enjoy setting fire to it really.

Even with the shit (for consumers who don't want data, and 90% of them don't) tariffs their offering, idiots will still buy it, so we don't really need to advertise it or market it, it'll do it itself with any luck. Or it'll crash and burn, thats what I'm really hoping.

To be blatently honest, much like I did with the N95, I'm going to openly slate it to them and convince them to get a good phone, not this one.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 20:23
@Nanu

They won't accept cash to reduce the risk of fraud, they really want/need you to be tied into the contract just selling the iPhone for a one off payment is no good for them at all. Mind you restricting people to only two each they should be so lucky people even want two @ that price and length and cost of contract.

Although it offers unlimited Data and WiFi a first for 02 not everyone is really going to want or use these. We can get virtually any top of the range device on contract for less than the iPhone and on those the unlimited Data may be worthwhile but with EDGE speeds IMO it really is only good for E-Mail and you really need to be a E-Mail junkie to make that worthwhile IMO.

@DragonEye

I have to say that really doesn't sound very fast to me and what most of us are use to over here in the UK and whilst i appreciate you say the Safari browser is very quick. I really can not believe it is that superior to the Safari browser found in Nokia's other wise i am sure some reviewer would of pointed it out rather than just pointing out Nokia already have a very similiar browser.

Now as to if this device is going to be a big hit or not is a hard one to call, for a hardcore smart phone user i doubt it will even be considered. The lack of 3G and fast data along with the lack of customization and apps will rule it out for a lot of people possibly.

But for those that are more interested in it's Multimedia power and want to listen to Music and watch Video and Films and Photo's, plus have their E-Mail and Calendar it will could well be their perfect device. From what i have read you can only open Documents as attachments to E-Mails and then they are read only. Or those that just see it as a must have device to be seen with a fashion accessory to make them cool.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-18 19:27 ]
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 21:17
I'd be suprised if it sells well at those prices. Its a joke.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-18 22:11
Worked in the USA and it was more expensive there.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-18 23:41
Yeah but the US doesn't have so many of the advanced phones, generous tariffs and networks we're used to for less money here...

The iPhone really is amazing compared with what most Americans are used to. But its not so amazing for us Europeans (except the UI & media player).

Sony Ericsson phones are quite hard to find offered by any of the major US networks. They all seem to sell 2-3 year old Samsungs, LGs and Nokias.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic