Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9

Previous  123 ... 131415  Next
Author iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-09-30 00:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just heard from a friend here in Finland that Apple will have a hard time selling the iPhone in its current incarnation. It seems that it is against Finnish law to have a subscription service that does not include 3G in the phone. Non 3G phones are not available as subscription services packages here in Finland. They can only be offered as pay-and-go. This might be a good thing or Apple might skip this market all together as they have shown how truly greedy that are.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-30 01:13

On 2007-09-28 19:27:44, Superluminova wrote:
data, wifi works great and it works with my vodafone sim via gprs ust won't work on o2?

This is a exerpt from ModMyIphone.com which is an excellent site, with MANY valuable insights, and titbits.

If you go to Settings > General > Network > EDGE

It wil ask you to input APN, Username and Password, I have included these details for the UK networks, for many other please see the link at the bottom.

Vodafone UK

APN address: wap.vodafone.co.uk (Contract)
APN address: pp.vodafone.co.uk (PAYG)
Username: wap
Password: wap

Orange UK

APN address (Contract): orangewap
APN address (PAYG): paygwap
Username: Orange
Password: Multimedia

T-Mobile UK

APN address: general.t-mobile.uk
Username : user
Password: wap

O2 UK

APN address: wap.o2.co.uk
Username : o2wap
Password: password

Virgin UK

APN address: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username : user
Password: (leave blank)

Other Carriers - http://www.modmyiphone.com/wiki/index.php/Carrier_APN_Settings
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-30 01:31
@seunlock-uk

I noticed all these settings are using WAP not GPRS connections how does this effect the browser as it is not a WAP browser but is a full browser? Or do you only use the browser over WiFi?

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-30 00:31 ]
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-30 04:51
Does not affect the rendering or anything, it's just not the worlds fastest lol.

The Google Maps, Safari, and Email all work perfectly through EDGE with the aforementioned settings, with no detrimental effects on rendering, or any of the browsing aspects that make the iPhone so unbelievable to use as a net device.

I was out this morning and got lost, used google maps, and sattelite to find my way, whilst roaming on the GPRS/WAP, used 1 MB which was NOWHERE near as bad as I thought, and it wasn't even that slow TBH.

The browsing experience on the iPhone is second to none, whether over wireless or using these EDGE settings. Only difference is the speed.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-09-30 05:50

On 2007-09-30 04:51:07, seunlock-uk wrote:
Does not affect the rendering or anything, it's just not the worlds fastest lol.

The Google Maps, Safari, and Email all work perfectly through EDGE with the aforementioned settings, with no detrimental effects on rendering, or any of the browsing aspects that make the iPhone so unbelievable to use as a net device.

I was out this morning and got lost, used google maps, and sattelite to find my way, whilst roaming on the GPRS/WAP, used 1 MB which was NOWHERE near as bad as I thought, and it wasn't even that slow TBH.

The browsing experience on the iPhone is second to none, whether over wireless or using these EDGE settings. Only difference is the speed.

Quick question. Is your phone a US version that you unlocked? I have the chance to get one via my mother working for AT&T but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble.

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-30 08:59

On 2007-09-26 21:43:17, *james* wrote:

On 2007-09-26 18:13:27, DragonEye wrote:
why don't you guys just buy unlocked ones?

Apple are talking about breaking unlocked phones when they do a firmware upgrade

what they have said is if you update a hacked unlocked phone, that there is a chance the update will brick your phone. This won't apply to legitimately unlocked phones.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-30 09:12

On 2007-09-30 05:50:20, sapporobaby wrote:

Quick question. Is your phone a US version that you unlocked? I have the chance to get one via my mother working for AT&T but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble.

pretty sure AT&T are locked. My understanding was the Apple/AT&T agreement doesn't allow for unlocking.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-30 09:13
@Max Wedge

What are you talking about there are no currently legitimately unlocked iPhones and until they launch the iPhone here in the UK and it is proved they will have to unlock them or not they just don't exist anywhere. They are all currently locked to AT&T only those with a version 1.02 are able to unlock them with various methods available but these are all hacked and cracked not legitimately unlocked by Apple or AT&T. Unless of course you know different?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-30 08:13 ]
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-30 10:37

Yeh bud, mine was originally locked to AT+T but freed from that hell, and is now unlocked and jailbreaked onto all networks, with 3rd patry programming.

Get one you won't regret it.

Enjoy!
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-09-30 15:06

On 2007-09-30 10:37:09, seunlock-uk wrote:

Yeh bud, mine was originally locked to AT+T but freed from that hell, and is now unlocked and jailbreaked onto all networks, with 3rd patry programming.

Get one you won't regret it.

Enjoy!

Decisions, decisions. I have the E90 which runs rings around the iPhone. I also have the iPod Touch. Combined with my Gear4 device, I am pretty much set. The iPhone was just luxury and not to mention I could get it almost for free (reduced price via AT&T employee). I do know that Europe, i.e. Finland will get the iPhone but by law it has to have 3G inside, so this might get interesting soon.

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-30 17:33

On 2007-09-30 09:13:17, Dogmann wrote:
@Max Wedge

What are you talking about there are no currently legitimately unlocked iPhones and until they launch the iPhone here in the UK and it is proved they will have to unlock them or not they just don't exist anywhere. They are all currently locked to AT&T only those with a version 1.02 are able to unlock them with various methods available but these are all hacked and cracked not legitimately unlocked by Apple or AT&T. Unless of course you know different?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-30 08:13 ]

I said that as far as I knew, there were no unlocked phones on AT&T which is, am I not mistaken, exactly what you said yourself? When I said "This won't apply to legitimately unlocked phones", note I used "won't" aka future tense? If and when iphones are available legally unlocked, you can bet they will update without bricking, or atleast we would hope so.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-09-30 17:18 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-09-30 17:38
Every Apple employee the world over was supposed to get an iPhone by the end of Sept (IE today)

therefore there must be unlocked ones on the about...
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-30 18:01
there are
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-30 18:29
If I had an iphone I guess I'd have to hack it to use it on the network down here (I'm not sure if the network frequencies match though), so I wouldn't be able to update to 1.1.1, but there is nothing to die for in the new update from what I've seen.

So it'd be nice to get my hands on a legitimate unlocked one if such a thing exists.

Anyway I can't really afford an iphone atm, so it's just a dream
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-10-02 18:15
I dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but with regards to the unlimited data option which became available as a bolt on since yesterday, it is capped at 200 meg.

So let me get this straight:

O2 Iphone = £269, £35 a month, 200 mins, 200 texts, 200 meg.

My offer on the K850i = Free, £28.75 a month, 900 mins or 1800 texts, 10 gig.

Hmmm, which one do I get?

Even if you get a full price normal tariff, you can still get a much better deal for £35 a month on every other phone.

Unlocked Iphones apparently get deactivated by an Apple update, they are not allowed to be unlocked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7017660.stm

An Apple software update is disabling iPhones that have been unlocked by owners who wanted to choose which mobile network to use.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-02 17:20 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic