Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9

Previous  123 ... 1112 131415  Next
Author iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 18:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@seunlock-uk

As you know i see the situation very differently, i see it that you purchase the device outright for arguments sake lets say from the Apple store. The fact it can only be used with a 02 Sim is the fact that makes it illegal no contract has been entered into nor does it need to it is after all a phone designed to make and receive calls that is part of the functionality of the device you have bought it is after all even called the iPhone not the iPhone but only only 02.

Neither Apple or 02 can force you to only use it on the 02 Network that is where it becomes a restrictive practice and illegal and also why your scenerio of contarct costs being recouped quite simply can not apply even on PAYG. This is where i think both 02 and Apple have got it wrong if it was sold as most phones are with a contract at a reduced price or even again on PAYG at a lower price then Sim Free all of what you say would apply. But it isn't it is sold outright with no contarct the fact you can only activate it on 02 is where they have got it wrong IMO.

I had a very long conversation with a nice man from OFCOM who listened very carefully to the points i was makeing and agreed. He has already filed a report in my name for once it is launched if it turns out that 02 will not or don't make available unlock codes for these devices.

I really don't see what makes 02 believe they can get away with not unlocking it is not a bought on contract handset or subsidized. Even after buying the device outright you can still buy a special iPhone PAYG Sim card although until unlocked you can not use an ordinary Sim Card even from 02. Well in 6 weeks odd from now we will all see one way or the other just how this plays out.

What i do find strange is the first time i asked 02 about unlocking i was told No it is not going to be available and it won't be either. This second time the lady i spoke to had no details on her screen so went away to check with her supervisor and came back with they have no information as yet and i should call back once it has been released.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-25 18:03 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 19:02
is it worth us all calling ofcom??

seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 19:10
@Dogmann

I really and Truly hope that you are right, that way it would make a very nice phone affordable and accesible to all, well until they massively hiked the price up to compensate lol.

I am just trying to give an alternate POV, and scenario, I honestly hope that they have screwed up, and that they have allowed the USERS the chance to get a good deal, as apposed to it always being them making tonnes of moulah off of us.

Here's hoping it works out, as a permanent unlock would be well worth the £20 HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 22:53
il wager a tenner at William Hill they will play it out like this, deny any unlock codes for a while (get some revenue) battle it out a little with ofcom and whoever...then they will hit you with the that amazing unlock price which I think is not going to be pretty.

They have every right to charge that amount honestly speaking as there is no guidelines that state they cant do that.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 23:20
with respect to a reasonable fee....

you are buying the phone outright, therefore they are losing NO MONEY whatsoever....

therefore any fee they charge you as an unlocking fee will be pure profit..

in respect to PAYG, PAYG phones are normally subsidised, whereas the iPhone isn't in anyway, shape or form. Therefore they can't pull that one on you either...

I hope they have screwed up properly and just taken the US tariffs and sales model, I will fully exploit them if so.

Yes, I don't like O2, and I'm not overly keen on Apple only letting one network have it only... whatever happened to letting the public decide?

by telling me I can only have it on O2, has made me ever more certain I will be getting one and will never ever go anywhere near O2...
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 23:25
I am wondering if you use an unlocked US iPhone on O2 UK will visual voicemail and the other network dependant features work?
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 23:30

On 2007-09-25 23:25:29, Coxy wrote:
I am wondering if you use an unlocked US iPhone on O2 UK will visual voicemail and the other network dependant features work?

nope it won't
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 23:32
Explanation?
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 23:59
There is no reason why it shouldn't assuming the settings are changed accordingly to be appropriate for O2.

The hardware is the same, so all that would require altering are the actual settings for said features.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-26 01:09
@Fatreg and all,

At this time i can't really see the need for anyone else to contact OFCOM they can not look at it until it is released and either 02 or Apple refuse to sell me an unlock code. Obviously once OFCOM decide they can act the more people that contact them the better.

Reasonable cost is considered for the work involved in acquiring the unlock code. I really don't think 02 will try and claim it costs anymore than a normal phone. As Apple can't be held responsible if they are forced to comply with the law and sell it unlocked i can't see what 02 can say.

Obviously neither Apple or 02 want you to use of the phone on anything other than 02 and there available tariffs especially Apple as they earn a % of the revenue.

Sorry but we all know they have copied the US sales model exactly, i do not know how or why but for some reason 02 and Apple appear to have over looked the way the UK and EU law may effect this. Unless of course Apple are quite happy to just sell as many iPhones as possible and although prefer the extra income are just happy with the additional sales and customers.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-26 00:45 ]
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-09-26 07:53
One question I have. If you dont activate the iphone O2 has every reason to refuse to sell you the unlock code (because you are not yet their customer). But once you activate the iphone, you have already agreed to the 18 month contract. I bet in the contract terms there will be a high termination penalty clause. Either way you are locked in.

I think the business model is to make sure you take up O2 plan. I believe this where apple will profit most from. Essentially apple has conspired with O2 to "steal" from the buyers the subsidy due to them when taking up a new contract. The locking of the iphone (or any phone) has always been a deterence/obstacles to prevent you from breaking your contract with the operators. Once you are on the contract, I believe O2 will be more than happy to sell (more $$$) you the unlock code
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-26 15:01
@mib1800

What are you on about i explained you go and buy your iPhone outright at point of sale, you then get a PAYG Sim from 02 either a shop or direct and your iPhone is working and activated. When or where is there any contract involved in that?

Also as i have pointed out it is illegal to sell a non subsidised phone that is locked to one Network and forces you to only use that Networks services. There are exceptions to this rule on subsidised handsets but not on ones that aren't it really is just that simple.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-26 14:02 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-26 15:03
iphone mania has swept the UK... lol i love it
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-26 15:43
Fingers crossed that the procedure for purchasing an iphone is as simple as Dogmann purports, The PAYG option looks a good deal if it comes to fruition, i am allready squirrelling away £269 ready for Oct 9th, but HEY you lot, dont tell my Mr's
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-26 18:13
why don't you guys just buy unlocked ones?
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1112 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic