Previous  12
Author clamshell v/s candybar
Alexandra
W810 white
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-07 12:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-09-07 12:22:48, kyle_274 wrote:
if i saw a candybar and a clamshell i wud take the clamshell...candybars hve way 2 smalle screens...iv always used candy bars but day the so boring...like with a clamshell or a slider u enjoy the ...sliding it up nd down...bla bla bla...lol

Do you want a bad camera with that? Sorry, you get NO CHOICE! MUAHAHAHAHAHA! [addsig]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-07 12:56
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-09-07 15:14
there is no competition between the 2. clamshells, hands down....without a shadow of a doubt. the reasons:
a) clamshells protect the screen and the keypad
b) the shape of a clamshell makes it feel like a landline, with the mouthpiece next to the mouth and the ear next to the earpiece. candybars always felt so unnatural to talk on.
c) candybars are mostly ugly and are unstylish. clamshells are stylish.
d) there is little scope for variability between candybars. you just have to look at SE candybars to notice that they all look the same. a few differences in the key shapes, but that's about it. clamshells have a much wider scope for variability between models.
e) they feel common as muck.
f) it's possible for a candybar to dial 999 when in ones pocket.. that's not possible on clamshells. a few years ago, a friend of mine called me around early evening. when i picked up the phone, all i could here was him walking down the street because i could here is footsteps and the odd cough now and then. it seems that he's dialled my number whilst his phone was in his pocket. this is not possible on clamshells, but is common with candybars.
g) keypads are far too fiddly and difficult to use on candybars compared to clamshells, especially because i use my thumb for texting.
h) the screens in candybars are far too small compared with clamshells.

[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2007-09-07 14:16 ]
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2007-09-07 15:17

On 2007-09-07 15:14:26, Brightspark wrote:
there is no competition between the 2. clamshells, hands down....without a shadow of a doubt. the reasons:
a) clamshells protect the screen and the keypad
b) the shape of a clamshell makes it feel like a landline, with the mouthpiece next to the mouth and the ear next to the earpiece. candybars always felt so unnatural to talk on.
c) candybars are mostly ugly and are unstylish. clamshells are stylish.
d) there is little scope for variability between candybars. you just have to look at SE candybars to notice that they all look the same. a few differences in the key shapes, but that's about it. clamshells have a much wider scope for variability between models.
e) they feel common as muck.
f) it's possible for a candybar to dial 999 when in ones pocket.. that's not possible on clamshells. a few years ago, a friend of mine called me around early evening. when i picked up the phone, all i could here was him walking down the street because i could here is footsteps and the odd cough now and then. it seems that he's dialled my number whilst his phone was in his pocket. this is not possible on clamshells, but is common with candybars.
g) keypads are far too fiddly and difficult to use on candybars compared to clamshells, especially because i use my thumb for texting.
h) the screens in candybars are far too small compared with clamshells.

[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2007-09-07 14:16 ]

I was just typing a similar post. Good said m8.
himlims_nl
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-07 15:23
clamshell is good; your internal display is well protected
downside is; if you get dust/sand etc between you keypad and screen it will result in many scratshes on your display

candybar... i like it best, no slide or flip to accespt a call... just press and talk
skylineR35
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-09-07 15:39
why there's no other FF?
candybar, clamshell, swivel, slide, twist

actually, i'd rather prefer candybar because there's no squeaking for sure and also the lifetime of the phone will be simply longer because there's less parts moving... however if you want to change your style, just use clamshell phone.
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-09-07 16:19
"also the lifetime of the phone will be simply longer because there's less parts moving"

i think that's a myth. after reading several mobile phone forums almost every day since about 2003, i've yet to read about even 1 incidence of a hinge wearing out. i've still got my old v500 from 2003 in full working order, software-wise and hardware-wise.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-07 19:17

On 2007-09-07 16:19:12, Brightspark wrote:
"also the lifetime of the phone will be simply longer because there's less parts moving"

i think that's a myth. after reading several mobile phone forums almost every day since about 2003, i've yet to read about even 1 incidence of a hinge wearing out. i've still got my old v500 from 2003 in full working order, software-wise and hardware-wise.

I have a V620 that was only used for a year before the hinge became so loose the phone would not go into "closed" mode.

a) granted
b) your opinion. In my view candybar's are easier to talk on.
c) Again your opinion, not any kind of established fact. Candybar's can be stylish and unique also.
d)Can't see it myself. A clamshell is a clamshell, a candybar is a candybar. btw, SE introduced the two front's concept, which represents the first time a manufacturer recognised in the styling that the phone was also a camera
e) again this statement is pure personal preference, not a statement of fact.
f) not everyone finds the hugely massively cumbersome task of enabling the key lock to be as burdensome as you find it to be.
g) this comes down to keypad design and has squat to do with form factor
h) Cheap clamshells have small screens just like cheap candybars. Phones like K800, W900 etc or better yet symbian phones have much larger screens. You don't seem to know your candybar's very well.
towairaito
Z610 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-11 22:56
first i had a candybar phone... the disadvantage of it when you locked the key but you can't avoid pressing the key esp. when your phone is in the pocket. but i changed my mind when i got a clamshell phone... the internal key pad is safe you don't need the lock button.

so now im a fan of clamshell lover. i love flip phones.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2007-09-11 23:06
Hm.. I prefer candybars.
Sliders are good, too.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi