Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia Go Play: New touch screen interface/8gb N95/N81/5310/5610

Author Nokia Go Play: New touch screen interface/8gb N95/N81/5310/5610
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 12:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nokia are currently doing an announcement in London for something called Go Play which seems to include a new finger touch screen interface

Nokia Go Play website

all about symbian photo gallery from the event

the Nokia Blog at Go Play which show the schedule of events including annoucements of 8gb N95

Press release

Go Play: Nokia unveils four devices optimized for entertainment, music and games
August 29, 2007

London, UK - Alongside the introduction of Ovi, the door to Nokia's new Internet services, Nokia today unveiled four new mobile devices specifically optimized for entertainment, music and games. Each device offers dedicated music or gaming keys, expanded memory, large screens and extended battery performance to provide quick and easy access to entertainment content. The devices range in price from 225 to 560 EUR and are expected to begin shipping later this year.

"From the compact Nokia 5310 XpressMusic music phone to the fully-featured Nokia N81 multimedia computer, Nokia offers a range of entertainment-enabled devices for consumers who want their music, games and favourite media with them wherever they go," says Kai Oistamo, Executive Vice President, Nokia. "We believe these full-featured, well-designed devices will be very popular and will help bring Nokia's Internet and music services to life."

Nokia N81 and Nokia N81 8GB: Entertainment made simple
With dedicated music and gaming keys, 3.5 mm headphone connector and 3G and WLAN connectivity, the Nokia N81 multimedia computer is a true mobile entertainment powerhouse. With a sleek, polished surface and keys that light up when you activate them, accessing content on the 3D multimedia menu is fast and intuitive. Equally impressive, the Nokia N81 is configured to find, buy, manage and play music and games purchased from the Nokia Music Store and N-Gage games service. The estimated retail price of the Nokia N81 is 360 EUR before subsidies or taxes. The Nokia N81 8GB is expected to retail for 430 EUR before subsidies or taxes. Both versions are expected to begin shipping in the fourth quarter of 2007.

Nokia N95 8GB: Stunning screen, massive memory
The Nokia N95, the world's greatest multimedia computer, just got greater. With all the key features of its predecessor, including a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics, built-in A-GPS, WLAN, HSDPA and an innovative 2-way slide, the Nokia N95 8GB now offers up to eight gigabytes of built-in memory. The N95 8GB also boasts a new luminous 2.8" QVGA display - one of the largest ever for a multimedia computer - so that watching videos, browsing the Internet or viewing maps is easy. With its expanded memory, the N95 8GB offers up to 20 hours of video* or up to 6000 songs**. The N95 8GB multimedia computer is expected to begin shipping in the fourth quarter of 2007 with an estimated retail price of EUR 560 before subsidies or taxes.

Nokia 5310 XpressMusic - Small in size, big on music
With a sleek aluminium finish, the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic phone blends an array of features with an iconic design. At only 9.9mm thick and weighing less than 71 grams, the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic fits comfortably in a pocket or purse. Equally important, the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic offers up to 18 hours of music playback, memory for up to 3,000 songs** on an optional 4GB microSD card and dedicated music keys. With a 2-megapixel camera and a bright 2-inch QVGA screen with up to 16 million colors, the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic is expected to begin shipping in the fourth quarter of 2007 with an estimated retail price of 225 EUR before taxes and subsidies.

Nokia 5610 XpressMusic - Edgy design, sharp sound
The Nokia 5610 XpressMusic comes ready to rock with an iconic Music Slider key making music easy to access with a flick of the thumb. Aluminum side panels accent the all-black high gloss finish and large 2.2-inch, 16 million color display of the Nokia 5610 XpressMusic. The Nokia 5610 XpressMusic offers crystal clear sound and up to 22 hours of music playback and memory with capacity for 3,000 songs on an optional 4GB microSD card**. More than just a phone and music player, the Nokia 5610 XpressMusic features a high-quality 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus and dual LED flash. The Nokia 5610 XpressMusic uses 3G technology, making downloads, web-browsing and video calls faster and easier. The Nokia 5610 XpressMusic is expected to begin shipping in the fourth quarter of 2007 with an estimated retail price of EUR 300 before taxes and subsidies.

Both Nokia XpressMusic handsets are compatible with the recently launched Nokia Music Store, offering consumers a wide music selection to be downloaded via PC.

Music accessories - More music for all ears
Recognizing the increasing role of mobile phones in music consumption, Nokia and globally-recognized audio manufacturers, including Altec Lansing, JBL, and Philips will offer a range of music accessories matching the XpressMusic handsets in design and functionality. The partner accessories, including headphones, docking stations and speakers, will be identifiable by "For Nokia XpressMusic Phones."

Also introduced today were two Nokia branded enhancements. The Nokia Bluetooth Stereo Headset BH-503, compatible with Nokia XpressMusic phones with stereo Bluetooth support and the small, but powerful Nokia Pocket Speakers MD-6, compatible with Nokia XpressMusic phones with 2.5mm / 3.5mm connectors.

* Capacity based on H.264 750-Kbps video at 320-by-240 resolution, combined with 128-Kbps audio. Capacity is half of this with H.264 1.5 Mbps video at 640-by-480 resolution, combined with 128-Kbps audio (near-DVD quality).
** Capacity based on 3:45 per song with 48 Kbps eAAC+ (M4A) encoding on the Nokia Music Manager.

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2007-08-29 12:06 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 12:52
Hi all,

Just watched the web cast and Nokia really are pushing the boundaries of what we can expect from our devices. They also confirmed that there will be a a Touchscreen S60 early next year.

The new Music express devices they announced plus the N95 8gb and the new N81 8gb have newly designed UI's to take advantage of the new services that Nokia are launching under the OVI banner. They are in partnership with the major Music companies for their new Music download service and also the launching of the N gage gaming platform also has many if not all of the major game creators working with them. Nokia's vision for the future of a truly connected device is quite simply awesome Nokia have seriously pushed the boundaries forward yet again and i actually feel sorry for other manufactures just don't see what they are going to be able to do to combat what Nokia have just announced and will be launched in Q4 of this year.

Both the N95 8gb and the N81 8gb are really stunning looking devices full of functionality. The two new Music express phones incorporate dedicated Music player buttons and metallic parts the most expensive device is still only 300 euros before taxes. Other manufactures should be afraid very afraid as i can't see what they can come back with to touch what Nokia have announced today. What a awesome press conference. I am waiting to see the right ups from the people that have attended and will get more information via pre booked interviews but the future looks bright but definitely not Orange.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-29 11:52 ]
remirez
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 12:55

On 2007-08-29 12:52:06, Dogmann wrote:
the future looks bright.

...For us or for Nokia? So you are a Nokia Fanboy! That's cool I'm not trying to pick up a fight or anything but you do love Nokia and I understand why after having seen that N81. A real beauty.
Put a freaking touchscreen on that thing and I'm sold.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:02
@remirez

Not really a fan boy but just very impressed by how they intend to integrate all us users want to do into into the N series devices . No touchscreens yet but there was confirmation that there will be an S60 touchscreen next year. It is very hard not to be excited by Nokia's plans for the future although personally i am not interested in their online music store even if it does have millions of tunes. I still want to purchase my Music on Cd in the best quality and use it as i please no DRM for me. Both the N95 8GB and the N81 8GB do indeed look like great devices and will most probably get one or the other when my upgrades are due in December and February.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-29 12:02 ]
remirez
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:07
Yeah sorry for the 'Fanboy' term, as Masseur notified, it is quite derogatory.
I don't really know what term to use. Anyway, I agree with you that what Nokia proposes is exciting even though just like you I'm interested at all in the ONline music thing.
Even the design is good (well for the N81 at least, I'm not a fan of the fat N95).
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:11
We'll I dont think other manufacturers are far behind Nokia where technology is concerned, the problem is they just are not releasing the phones they've got in development....lol. Eg: Motorola have a 5Mpx touch screen phone in research with a cam unit made by Kodak, supposedly going through a re-design due to the iPhone.
The HTC Kaiser is a good alternative to the N95 BUT the N95 8GB looks like the grand daddy of all phones, they;ve crammed everything into it. If I do get a Nokia its that one.
The N81 is sersiously not impressive at all.......I'd prefer the W960 any day(of course if they're priced the same). The 81 hardly breaks any boundaries as such, seems like the same old tech crammed into a fancy body. least they could have done was implement a better cam even though the 81 is music oriented. And for what its packing the N81 is quite bulky from the specs.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:11
nokia did great job with the eand n series and i am sure, they ll amaze us with new ideas and featurtes in their fone, so yes, the future looks bright for all those, who go for a nokia fone. i like especially the os, which has changed in less or more since 6680, but its still the same easy at usage, logical and fast.
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
amorphus
W610 Orange
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:12

Nothing about N82? I am disillusioned.
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:14
Orange and 3 have already said that they wont be selling the N81 as Nokia refuses to lose their music sales part and put in the operators version.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:19

On 2007-08-29 13:12:58, amorphus wrote:

Nothing about N82? I am disillusioned.

This is what I am waiting for. Has there even been any spyshots yet. I was hoping this would surface at this announcement as this is the most interesting to me.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:21
@aksd

Did you actually see the live stream of the services and new UI or are you only commenting on the look at specs of the device.There was more about the services that Nokia are launching through what they call OVI which integrates web. Flickr and other services. It really is just not about the devices or the music store there really is much more to it than that.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-29 12:22 ]
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:22
Ahh, 5610! Of course!.....

Wondered what they'd re-use 6500 slider for.......perfect!

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
remirez
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:25

On 2007-08-29 13:11:02, aksd wrote:
We'll I dont think other manufacturers are far behind Nokia where technology is concerned, the problem is they just are not releasing the phones they've got in development....lol. Eg: Motorola have a 5Mpx touch screen phone in research with a cam unit made by Kodak, supposedly going through a re-design due to the iPhone.
The HTC Kaiser is a good alternative to the N95 BUT the N95 8GB looks like the grand daddy of all phones, they;ve crammed everything into it. If I do get a Nokia its that one.
The N81 is sersiously not impressive at all.......I'd prefer the W960 any day(of course if they're priced the same). The 81 hardly breaks any boundaries as such, seems like the same old tech crammed into a fancy body. least they could have done was implement a better cam even though the 81 is music oriented. And for what its packing the N81 is quite bulky from the specs.

Well other manufacturers might not be far behind 'on the paper' but reality on the shelves is different, Nokia and to a lesser extent SE do deliver their products but Samsung and Moto announce, tease and never deliver the goods (Samsung F700, Moto 5MP cam).

The N81 do include a few new twists, nothing ground breaking I'll give you that, but welcome additions none the less. Like the 'click wheel' (Thank you Apple!), the Ngage platform or the 3.5 audio jack.

Mind you I would be delighted to see the others (SE, LG, Samsung, Moto, ...) competing on the 'all in one device' market.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I've read on some other blog that the US N95 will get more RAM and the lens cover will make way for a bigger battery.
Anyone can confirm? I'd be gutted seeing this if I just bought a N95.
At least SE and Nokia have now accepted the fact that they con't be stingy anymore on the amount of RAM they put in their flagship smartphones.

[ This Message was edited by: remirez on 2007-08-29 12:50 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-29 13:50
@ Dogmann
I just saw the specs on paper. Bottom line.......the music stores are software related and the updated UI is eyecandy, nothing really sensational. The N95 8GB on the other hand IS sensational. I dont mean to argue with you but serisouly the Music store, I reall wonder how many use them, I work freelance in the cellphone industry in India, and here out of every 10 N95's sold, only 1 person would even utilise the EDGE/WiFi facility on the phone(No 3G in India). Mind you I'm not saying that the Music store and stuff is useless, all I'm saying the N81 is'nt worth much hype, its just the same old platform( N95....N93 etc..) with a old cam plonked onto it, a bit of fancy exterior, add a few apps, a little more eyecandy and viola you got the N81. While the N95 8GB is a piece of work worth of people "oohing or aaaahing about". We'll thats my opinion, and yours will vary since you may use those features on your phone and you might like the eyecandy while a Music store really is'nt a USP in my eyes also I rarely care how "beautiful" the UI , I just want it to work the way its meant to work, which we will see only after its release.
Regards,
Akshay

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2007-08-29 12:52 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-08-29 14:11
What a great set of devices,im probably going to get the N81-8GB wen my upgrade comes next year in May, Nokia realy know how to impress i must say,must be a sad day for some of those hardcore SE fanboys here today lol,anyway cant wait to try out the N95-8GB and N81-8GB cause ive got my eyes on those two, Well done Nokia!!
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi