Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Magnet equipped leather case for P990i

12  Next
Author Magnet equipped leather case for P990i
pnoytechie
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 10:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I bought this leather case, that is equipped with magnet as it's mechanism to lock the case. But I noticed that when physically in FC mode and this magnet touches the keypad or the right side of the phone, the display switches as in FO mode.

And when physically in FO mode, and this magnet touches the keyboard or right side of the phone, the display switches as if the phone were in FC mode.

Now, what is the possible bad effect of this? It it safe for me to use this case despite this strange behaviour?

Thanks!
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-24 10:43
Its probably because the phones uses a magnet and reed switch (magnettic switch) to sense whether the flip is open or closed. Because you are putting a mgnet near the sensor it thinks that you have opened/closed the flip when you havent.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 12:38
Experienced that a while ago too, got a complimentary magnetic casing with my purchase. As soon as I was aware I ditched the casing and bought me a Noreve. Dunno if it has any negative side effects to the phone but I wasn't gonna find out.
michael the mage
Z800
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 18:41
Throw this crap away before its too late

Just think for a moment.... you have an electronic device and you put a MAGNET near that... how stupid is that?

I did never and will never understand HOW can SE make cases with MAGNETS inside for their phones?!?!?

I searched long and far and I only use cases without those magnets. I suggest to anyone to also NOT use MAGNETS near their precious Electronic Devices... in this case, their phones!

Regards [addsig]
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-24 18:57

On 2007-08-24 18:41:48, michael the mage wrote:
Throw this crap away before its too late

Just think for a moment.... you have an electronic device and you put a MAGNET near that... how stupid is that?

I did never and will never understand HOW can SE make cases with MAGNETS inside for their phones?!?!?

I searched long and far and I only use cases without those magnets. I suggest to anyone to also NOT use MAGNETS near their precious Electronic Devices... in this case, their phones!

Regards

As JC said use magnets in order to know when the flip is opened/closed, BlackBerry use magnets and reed switches on there phones, by placing magnets in the "holster" so that the device knows when it is holstered and therefore switches off the screen and will change the profile of the phone! all this is clever stuff and in no way damages the phone!

That said I don't think I'd place my phone near a large magnet, but the tiny ones used in cases should pose too much cause for discern!
myth_old
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 19:18

Just checked with mine (original IEC-20 leather case) and yes, the phone switches to FO mode when the magnetic part is somewhere around the d-pad.

But I have no problems, because the back of the phone is facing the magnet, if it is correctly placed. [addsig]
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 19:58

On 2007-08-24 19:18:03, myth® wrote:

Just checked with mine (original IEC-20 leather case) and yes, the phone switches to FO mode when the magnetic part is somewhere around the d-pad.

But I have no problems, because the back of the phone is facing the magnet, if it is correctly placed.

I noticed this too with my p990i and the magnet case that I bought in April . However i have since removed my flip and I haven't had any problems with my phone. Just switch the key lock on once its in the case and it will be okay. I have been doing it since April and my phone works well except for the bugs in the phone.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
pnoytechie
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-09-06 05:07
I captured a video of how P990i reacts to magnet...

http://bayanijuan.blogspot.com/2007/09/p990i-and-magnet.html
Nokku
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-07 08:49
the magnet seems to have a problem with the key locks also.
doncat
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-07 17:59
It did occurred on my handset too, at first i didn't mind it because i assumed that the flip uses magnet too to recognize if it is opened or closed. But i was informed by my friend that it did destroy her nokia handset using those magnet case. So even i am unsure if its true, i just changed my case instead, so that i wont worry that much.
Regards,
Donn
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-07 18:12
I have never heard of a magnet of that size destryoing a phone. All electrical equipment should be shielded against that sort of thing. if it isnt then it is cheaply designed and made.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
doncat
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-07 18:29

On 2007-09-07 18:12:07, jcwhite_uk wrote:
I have never heard of a magnet of that size destryoing a phone. All electrical equipment should be shielded against that sort of thing. if it isnt then it is cheaply designed and made.

I agree, but that is what she said. She actually said that after using the magnet case for almost 5 months, her handset doesn't want to power up. When she consults a technician guy, the techni guy said that the magnet on the case causes the handset not to function anymore. Too bad if it’s true.
Regards,
Donn
Profhassan
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-09 12:46
Hey pnoytechie,

I saw the video you made of the effect of the magnet on the phone.

Actually what coaught my ey more was the theme you had onthe phone. Can you tell me where you downloaded it from? its very cool !!!
thanks
pnoytechie
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 07:59

On 2007-09-09 12:46:12, Profhassan wrote:
Hey pnoytechie,

I saw the video you made of the effect of the magnet on the phone.

Actually what coaught my ey more was the theme you had onthe phone. Can you tell me where you downloaded it from? its very cool !!!
thanks

Profhassan, got it from Zedge
GinGin
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-12 07:32
I noticed Nanu loves the Curve and I just got a Blackberry Curve 8310. The holster I got gives me the creeps because of just bumping into anything with that front exposed. I hunted and found the Noreve flip case online. I too thought of the potential problem with magnetic closure, but if RIM designed the holster to work with the pda I'm in agreement with Nanu about the risks. So my question is this - does the placement of the closure with the Noreve function the same way as the holster does - ie does the pda know when it's in the case? Also, I may be a bit neurotic but does it fit with the Curve dressed in a skin? I have no idea of the functionality with a skin on, but I can be pretty rough on cellphones! Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi